Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

3G connectivity issues since V6.xxx

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Same issues as described above for about a month now, 3G is on for 15min, off for 5min, than back on again. 407,401, downtown (Toronto), 'burbs. I couldn't lock the pattern down to location.
Just sent a note to Lawrence SC, see what they say.
This is really messing with my daily traffic vs. 407 toll minimisation strategy...yes, I've gamefied my commute, and I'm getting creamed this month! :)

So that narrows it down to a 3G roaming issue in Canada. My LTE connection has no dropping problems.

Yep. Pretty sure it's limited to cars with the older 3G.

Alright then, Tesla, if you're listening... Either fix this pronto or give all Canadian owners a free LTE upgrade (and a refund for those who already paid to upgrade) and then you won't have to worry about 3G any more.

GM upgraded my OnStar years ago from analog to digital when the old analog cell service was being discontinued... for free. My buddy just had his Buick upgraded from 3G to LTE, also for free. I agree that Tesla should follow suit.

Same issues as described above for about a month now, 3G is on for 15min, off for 5min, than back on again. 407,401, downtown (Toronto), 'burbs. I couldn't lock the pattern down to location.
Just sent a note to Lawrence SC, see what they say.
This is really messing with my daily traffic vs. 407 toll minimisation strategy...yes, I've gamefied my commute, and I'm getting creamed this month! :)
Lawrence said firmware fix coming OTA in 1-2 weeks.

GM upgraded my OnStar years ago from analog to digital when the old analog cell service was being discontinued... for free. My buddy just had his Buick upgraded from 3G to LTE, also for free. I agree that Tesla should follow suit.

I think the difference is that they're paying a monthly fee for both of those services. I'm quite certain Tesla would do that too if they were charging us a monthly fee.

My 2012 Leaf is working off 2G! -- but again it's free.

...so after installing 7.1(2.34.100) and a very short 15 minute drive I'm happy to report no connection issues. For now I'm cautiously optimistic until a longer drive confirms it tomorrow.
Let us know if it works out on the longer drive.

I just made it back from Nova Scotia. I lost the 3G while in northern Maine and had just made it to an intermediate point that I had set for my route. So as soon as the 3G was on again, after losing it, I quickly got my route entered so as to not lose the chance. Was worried I was going to get lost somewhere between moose heaven and the Quebec border!