Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

3G connectivity issues since V6.xxx

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
i am still waiting for the software update, i seem to consistently be one of the last to receive OTA updates. any idea how one gets boosted up the priority list for software updates (other than calling each time)?

Don't be in too much of a hurry. In addition to the "flashing headlights bug" I mentioned above, you can now no longer even turn the headlights off. If you set the headlights to "Off" on the 17" screen, the actually will turn themselves ON and stay on no matter what!

Don't be in too much of a hurry. In addition to the "flashing headlights bug" I mentioned above, you can now no longer even turn the headlights off. If you set the headlights to "Off" on the 17" screen, the actually will turn themselves ON and stay on no matter what!
Another thread on here mentioned that on a model X didn't know they'd broken it on the s as well.

It seems for every bug they fix, they introduce 2 more...

my 3g "light" and signal bars come on at exactly the same time... 20 minutes after I reboot the centre console. how long after a reboot before you have connectivity?
So I reset the center console using firmware 2.34.115 and here are the results:
Holding buttons until screen goes black: 3.5 seconds
Black screen until Tesla logo: 28 seconds
Tesla logo until booting finished: 15 seconds.
Booting finished until 3G connects: 2m24s
Total duration of reset: 3m11s

Note: I had a 32GB USB 3.0 stick plugged in, so this may have delayed the timing.

As you can see, that's a lot faster than 20 minutes! I had a weird media error after I reset, where the internet radio kept stopping after each song. I unplugged the USB stick and reset again (didn't log timing data) and then drove from Vancouver to Calgary and had no issues. No bugs to report and no lost 3G connection.

• Informative
Reactions: SmartElectric
So I reset the center console using firmware 2.34.115 and here are the results:
Holding buttons until screen goes black: 3.5 seconds
Black screen until Tesla logo: 28 seconds
Tesla logo until booting finished: 15 seconds.
Booting finished until 3G connects: 2m24s
Total duration of reset: 3m11s

Note: I had a 32GB USB 3.0 stick plugged in, so this may have delayed the timing.

As you can see, that's a lot faster than 20 minutes! I had a weird media error after I reset, where the internet radio kept stopping after each song. I unplugged the USB stick and reset again (didn't log timing data) and then drove from Vancouver to Calgary and had no issues. No bugs to report and no lost 3G connection.
Thanks, that's great news.

Oh no! I took an update last night (to 2.44.130) and just got back from doing some errands and there was no connectivity for most of the drive! I never did the LTE upgrade so I'm still on 3G and I wonder if this new update undid the fixes from the last update?:mad:

Is anyone else in Canada with 3G having the same problem after taking 2.44.130 on a Classic S?

Yeah, same here - I was having constant 3G drops late in the summer, and these were in highly populated areas of Durham / Toronto. So it wasn't network coverage. It went away after an update and then I had lots of song skips happening, but those have also seemingly disappeared, which is great. Tesla's doing a good job fixing bugs.

Oh no! I took an update last night (to 2.44.130) and just got back from doing some errands and there was no connectivity for most of the drive! I never did the LTE upgrade so I'm still on 3G and I wonder if this new update undid the fixes from the last update?:mad:

Is anyone else in Canada with 3G having the same problem after taking 2.44.130 on a Classic S?
The connection seems to take much longer to start with 2.44.130 and 3G.
Our MX hasn't received the latest updates

Fortunately, it's been working fine for me since my first drive after the update. Fingers crossed!

Tesla's doing a good job fixing bugs.

I guess that's a matter of perspective.

Did you have your car when 6.2 was out? It stayed connected to 3g like cement and was nearly bug free (plus a vastly superior UI) and ever since then the firmware is full of bugs. I can't even listen to a podcast without having to remember exactly where I left off, I have to re-enter passwords since it won't remember them for long, it will play my podcasts overnight without me, etc. All these bugs arose after 6.2.

If anything, Telsa does a good job of creating bugs.

Reactions: green1

I've been driving two days now with the update and have not had any problems with the 3G.