Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

3G connectivity issues since V6.xxx

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'm certain that this is conflict with 3G roaming and v.6.

I agree. It's most certainly a problem with v6.0 and without an AT&T connection. Tesla doesn't roam in the same way you would with your phone, they use a connection through Jasper Networks to avoid roaming charges with local carriers. This is part of an alliance with many service providers worldwide and includes Rogers. My understanding is that they rely on the APN settings to connect directly to Jasper. This is why a trace route from the car never shows Rogers routers in the list. I suspect they've screwed up these settings and it may actually be trying to roam and should not.

I'm curious about our friends overseas. If what I've read is right, all the Tesla connections outside of the US use Jasper as well.
It would also be interesting to know if a Canadian car in the US is connected with a Jasper IP address or is it an AT&T IP address.

@Zapped, interesting you mention the WiFi. Last time I had 3G drop while driving, I tried with my phone hotspot. It did not auto-connect untill I first saw the 3G reappear then it switched to my WiFi. It almost looks like it has stopped trying to discover any network.

As I had posted in the other thread, I'm pretty sure the 3G dropout is due to some problem with waking from the Energy Saving mode, as that is when it always happens, and also I turned that off last week and it totally stopped happening. Well I just got my car back from the SC, for other reasons. It now has 1.67.80. So maybe that's to address this problem.

OK... well it still happens with v6.0(1.67.80). Was stable for days with Energy Savings off. Turned on Energy Savings today, bingo, right away next time I drove the car 3G lost for about 10 min....

OK... well it still happens with v6.0(1.67.80). Was stable for days with Energy Savings off. Turned on Energy Savings today, bingo, right away next time I drove the car 3G lost for about 10 min....

It most definitely is an issue with the Energy Saving Mode being turned on or off. When set to ON,as you drive around, he Model S will try to connect to every WiFi network it comes across and will disconnect your 3G as it is trying to connect to WiFi. Turning this setting OFF will keep the car connected to 3G unless you choose to connect to WiFi. A patch to 6.0 software should resolve this though I dont have an ETA on when that is being pushed out

I had 3G connectivity issues with Power Saving turned on a few weeks ago, so I turned it off and the problems went away. Then 10 days ago I turned it back on, with "Always Connected" selected, and it seems to still be OK so far. I was out of the city when I saw the worst problems and I've been in the city for the past 10 days, but it still seems better than it was a few weeks ago. I'm wondering if Tesla and Jasper Wireless (their roaming provider) have changed something that improves this without a firmware upgrade. On the other hand, other people are still seeing issues, so maybe it's not solved yet...

I've not had any problems since I turned "Always Connected" on. Even though I've had several V6 updates I've not tried turning it back off again. The additional vampire loss is noticeable but not the end of the world.

Same here. I have mine set to NIGHT and always connected and have not had one drop of 3G. I had always connected unchecked two weeks ago and 3G dropped a couple times a day.

Pretty much every time I get in my car, my 3G is gone. Sometimes I wait for it to come back and it doesn't. Sometimes I reboot. Sometimes I set up a wifi hotspot on my phone.

Yesterday my car popped "Car Needs Service" on the main screen.

Half the time, my center screen is frozen when I get in to drive off. It un-freezes after about a minute. But my reverse cam doesn't come on and my homelink button doesn't work...

I've rebooted once or twice a day since v6...

It all sounds kinda "not normal" to me. :)

Pretty much every time I get in my car, my 3G is gone. Sometimes I wait for it to come back and it doesn't. Sometimes I reboot. Sometimes I set up a wifi hotspot on my phone.

Yesterday my car popped "Car Needs Service" on the main screen.

Half the time, my center screen is frozen when I get in to drive off. It un-freezes after about a minute. But my reverse cam doesn't come on and my homelink button doesn't work...

I've rebooted once or twice a day since v6...

It all sounds kinda "not normal" to me. :)

Definitely sounds not normal, although other people are seeing the 3G issues too. Has Tesla service looked at it? It's hard to tell whether it's one issue or multiple, but Tesla could tell a lot more by looking at logs.

Definitely sounds not normal, although other people are seeing the 3G issues too. Has Tesla service looked at it? It's hard to tell whether it's one issue or multiple, but Tesla could tell a lot more by looking at logs.
I turned sleep mode ON again yesterday for the first time in a month or so, and got the 3G connection drop issue again. I addition to an unresponsive screen for the first 2 minutes.

So, setting sleep mode to OFF definitely fixes this bug. I have no more issues. Hopefully a new software release will take care of letting us sleep mode again -- it's very handy in winter.

Mine is set to NIGHT and "Always connected". I have had no issues with drops since using this setting. I got in the car the other night at around 12am and the car took a while connecting to 3G (it went from Edge to eventually 3G after a minute) but worked fine after that. So with this setting, it looks like the car is still sleeping at night and not necessarily staying always connected. I am not sure of the energy savings though.

You don't need to turn sleep full off. Always connected mode is sufficient.

Not in my case... I've tried "Energy Saving" ON and with "Always Connected" checked, but I experience the same issue 100%. The only way it's reliable, is with "Energy Saving" OFF. I hope they fix this soon. The other thing I notice that is correlated to this, in addition the cellular data connection being dropped and taking a long time to re-establish, also frequently the instrument display reboots when entering the car. Again with "Energy Saving" OFF that never happens. Someone in this thread suggested this might be a Canada only problem related to the nature of roaming. Wonder if there is something to that?