Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

3G data - Abandoned by Tesla?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The reports I have seen say that the lower frequency of one abuts the higher of the other and that while OK at the 5G medium power level adopted by ex-US providers can be an issue at high 5G levels near some airports in the States?

The reports I have seen say that the lower frequency of one abuts the higher of the other and that while OK at the 5G medium power level adopted by ex-US providers can be an issue at high 5G levels near some airports in the States?
5G on c-band is not that critical near airports, but EU has bands separated by a buffer of frequencies, and strategically places c-band 5G towers away from radio altimeter towers.

Agreed, but the point is areas without 5G and LTE only, Teslas' connectivity will fail. 5G technology is up-and-coming. And I'm in a metropolitan area where LTE falls back to 3G frequently. Those fallbacks can interrupt streaming media and result in "navigation without traffic information."

And, where there's no LTE and/or 5G, when there's no 3G, are you saying these areas will just have 2G? Or will there be a miraculous upgrade of every tower to at least LTE? I'm pretty sure the Tesla radios don't fall back to 2G, given its relatively slow data rate.
Once 3G is phased out, they will have to migrate the remaining towers to LTE and 5G. If a tower is upgraded to 5G, it will also have LTE. I don't think any carriers except for t-mobile still have 2G towers. The carriers want to speed up transition because they need the spectrum of existing 3G markets to deploy LTE / 5G in those markets. The govt in the other hand wants to slow this down because they *think* it's affecting low-income Americans.