TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC
Start a Discussionhttps://teslamotorsclub.com/tmc/tags/

3G/LTE after four years

Discussion in 'Model S: User Interface' started by wayner, Apr 21, 2017.

1. wayner

wayner Active Member

I don't remember seeing anything on this but has Tesla now confirmed that they will be covering the cost of 3G/LTE service for the life of the car for the Model S/X? Presumably some of the early Model S owners have now passed the four year service mark and the original commitment from Tesla was that the service was covered for four years.

• Informative x 1
  2. bob_p

bob_p Active Member

Haven't heard anything about the 3G on our late 2012 S P85 - still free (and slow)...

• Informative x 2
  3. wayner

wayner Active Member

I upgraded my 3G to LTE but it didn't help the web browser - that continues to be painfully slow. But maps and Slacker do load somewhat faster.

• Like x 1
  4. HankLloydRight

HankLloydRight Fluxing

Nothing short of a lobotomy will help the web browser.

But glad to hear maps and slacker are faster.

• Funny x 2
  5. RichardD

RichardD Supporting Member

i am considering the upgrade, i just wish it upgraded the wifi radio to a standard that is more with the times.. haha

6. clyjr

clyjr Member

I did the upgrade on mine, I can't say that I notice the maps or slacker load noticeably faster. I do see an improvement in coverage though. Several places where I would lose 3g for up to 5 minutes come in fine with no drops on 4g...

• Like x 1
  7. Gizmotoy

Gizmotoy Active Member

I didn't really notice much of a speed increase either (I can still watch map tiles load), but do appreciate the increased coverage. It also bought, perhaps, some longevity as 3G towers start getting taken down to support additional LTE and upcoming 5G networks. Finally, I wanted to grab it before it was too late. Tesla makes retrofits available and discontinues them with some frequency, it seems, so I didn't want to count on it being available perpetually.

• Informative x 1
  8. bob_p

bob_p Active Member

We have 3G on our "classic" S P85 and LTE on our new S 100D - and haven't really noticed a difference.

In the S 100D, the maps still load slowly in blocks and sometimes show blank spaces for extended periods - and the browser still seems unusably slow.

Looks like the LTE upgrade on the P85 would have been a waste of money (at least until the software is improved)...

• Informative x 1
  9. EXOTIC1

EXOTIC1 Member

So the $500 cost isn't worth it from 3g upgrade??

10. DougH

DougH Active Member

I have the LTE in my X and it does not seem any different that any older Tesla I have owned.

11. HankLloydRight

HankLloydRight Fluxing

It is for some people, it isn't for others. It's basically religion or politics... Everyone has their own experience and/or opinion and nobody can tell you if it's worth it for you or not.

That said, I found the map tile loading to be significantly faster with the upgrade in two different cars so I would say it is worth it.

12. Akikiki

Akikiki A'-Lo-HA ! y'all

As I recall the statement about 4 years of coverage correctly, Tesla did not word the statement saying from the time of purchase.
    If I remember right, it was Jan or Feb of '14 and Elon said, four years service starting now (Jan/FEb '14).

13. wayner

wayner Active Member

But presumably it would still be four years if you bought the car after that date? And even at that Jan 2018 is only a few months away.

I wonder if this will be handled differently for Model 3 purchasers?