Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

3G/LTE after four years

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

wayner

Oct 29, 2014
Toronto
I don't remember seeing anything on this but has Tesla now confirmed that they will be covering the cost of 3G/LTE service for the life of the car for the Model S/X? Presumably some of the early Model S owners have now passed the four year service mark and the original commitment from Tesla was that the service was covered for four years.

• Informative
Reactions: tomas
I didn't really notice much of a speed increase either (I can still watch map tiles load), but do appreciate the increased coverage. It also bought, perhaps, some longevity as 3G towers start getting taken down to support additional LTE and upcoming 5G networks. Finally, I wanted to grab it before it was too late. Tesla makes retrofits available and discontinues them with some frequency, it seems, so I didn't want to count on it being available perpetually.

• Informative
Reactions: RichardD
We have 3G on our "classic" S P85 and LTE on our new S 100D - and haven't really noticed a difference.

In the S 100D, the maps still load slowly in blocks and sometimes show blank spaces for extended periods - and the browser still seems unusably slow.

Looks like the LTE upgrade on the P85 would have been a waste of money (at least until the software is improved)...

• Informative
Reactions: EVie'sDad
We have 3G on our "classic" S P85 and LTE on our new S 100D - and haven't really noticed a difference.

In the S 100D, the maps still load slowly in blocks and sometimes show blank spaces for extended periods - and the browser still seems unusably slow.

Looks like the LTE upgrade on the P85 would have been a waste of money (at least until the software is improved)...

So the $500 cost isn't worth it from 3g upgrade??

So the $500 cost isn't worth it from 3g upgrade??

It is for some people, it isn't for others. It's basically religion or politics... Everyone has their own experience and/or opinion and nobody can tell you if it's worth it for you or not.

That said, I found the map tile loading to be significantly faster with the upgrade in two different cars so I would say it is worth it.

I don't remember seeing anything on this but has Tesla now confirmed that they will be covering the cost of 3G/LTE service for the life of the car for the Model S/X? Presumably some of the early Model S owners have now passed the four year service mark and the original commitment from Tesla was that the service was covered for four years.

As I recall the statement about 4 years of coverage correctly, Tesla did not word the statement saying from the time of purchase.
If I remember right, it was Jan or Feb of '14 and Elon said, four years service starting now (Jan/FEb '14).