Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

3G Pricing - Speculation

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I thought it was clear that the car has two separate data connections: one "System" connection and one "Content" connection. The System one is for remote diagnostics, firmware updates and likely also for the remote app controls (can someone confirm this?). The Content connection is for maps, video, radio, browsing etc. I think they could be two physically separate connections, but are more likely shared through one and the same mobile modem/SIM-card. In that case the car would either have to "route" data through one or the other part of the connection, but again more likely you can only buy an unlimited plan hence eliminating the need to keep track of which data is which (since you're paying a flat fee anyway).

Tethering to phone will be vital to achieve 4G/LTE speeds and unnecessary cost. Even if you tether via WiFi internet sharing on the phone or bluetooth you would most likely need to plug the phone in for charging, since tethering does drain battery from the phone quite a bit, so I would prefer wired tethering most of the time (more reliable, better speeds). The only big question in my mind is will the remote app still work even if you don't get the Tesla data plan?

As someone else said earlier, the Tesla grin is slowly turning upside down. Need to step on that "gas" pedal to get it back. Unfortunately, as we keep getting nickel and dimed, I may have to just start sleeping in the car with the foot on the pedal.

I disagree. If I'm paying TSLA $116,000 for a Model S, and they have 25% GM then they can easily take the $2000 hit and give me free 3G connectivity for 7 yrs.

At $30/month that would be a shade over 5.5 years, not 7 years, and that doesn't count price hikes over time from AT&T or whoever. That's hardly lifetime of the car, anyway; other things transfer (e.g., warranty), so if they offered free 3G it would as well, methinks. So $2000 isn't a realistic estimate, IMHO.

I paid less for my Model S than you (85, no perf/leather/special tires/whatever it is you got), but I am skeptical anyone paid for whatever options with the thought in the back of their minds "this is worth it because I will get free internet" (especially when it was known that internet would not, in fact, be free), yet that's your implication--because you bought things you felt were worth it, you should get something else for free that you didn't pay for and will cost Tesla money.

No, we felt it was worth it for various reasons, but didn't buy the car, or add on options, because we thought we might get something we knew we would not. IMHO, anyway. I didn't buy my house expecting free phone service and I'm not now ticked off that it didn't come with it--I knew it didn't.

I think complaining about the lack of a frunk net for non-sig (non-perf?) cars makes a ton more sense than expecting free 'net for life of car.

And sorry, I'm saying "you" because I'm replying to you, but I'm really speaking in general (you're not even the original person I was replying to).

Side Note: I don't know Tesla's GM but if they announced it, I wonder if that was a "perfect world/theory" number and reality isn't quite lining up to that. . . .

I agree with the value statements most have made. 3G for $30 is unreasonable.

Im pretty sure the MS is 4G/LTE ready (I recall hearing it has the hardware).

I also think people would be almost just as mad if 4G/LTE service costed that much. Smartphone users truly do use a lot of data/bandwidth and carriers are struggling to keep up with that (hence crappy slow service). They charge us a lot so they can build up their network.

With the model S we would hardly be using that much data. Certainly not $30 worth of data a month! (3G or 4G!!!).

I think the better question is why there isn't a "hacker" thread. Aren't there any software geniuses out there that have figured out how to hack the model S? Its just good old Linux....shouldn't be too difficult! I am surprised I still don't have video on my console!

here is my hacker wish list:
1. Video capability on my touchscreen
2. Unlock/enable WiFi and tethering to phone.
3. Unlock/enable hard drive access.

I'm sure this list could get pretty long pretty fast!!! Why are we counting on Tesla to do everything perfect and hoping they do it all for free/cheap? It's time for the hackers out there to put us back in control!!!

They've always been clear that there would be a fee. Everyone lucked out with free service until they were able to negotiate a price with a carrier and announce it -- this looks more like 'passing the price on' than nickel and diming.

Another response would be 'well, it was great we had it free for awhile, but I don't think it's worth paying for so I won't'.

I agree 150%, Bonnie!

Heck, I and many other people surely have mobile devices--some folks are even comparing this to their mobile devices, compare the navigation with their mobile devices, etc. I'm guessing some or many of those who don't like the price won't miss much since they'll have their phone/tablet with them anyway. I'm not sure it's worth it for me, but I suspect I won't miss even the Google maps (though, good point, carrerascott!).

Does anything think Tesla is making more than a few bucks a month off of this plan? AT&T charges similar prices for my iPhone and iPad. I'd imagine AT&T is making a lion's share of the profits off of this deal but that's just a guess. I wish is was cheaper as well (at 4G LTE) though.

No, we felt it was worth it for various reasons, but didn't buy the car, or add on options, because we thought we might get something we knew we would not. IMHO, anyway. I didn't buy my house expecting free phone service and I'm not now ticked off that it didn't come with it--I knew it didn't.

Many bought the car because of the notion that this was just a much simpler designed vehicle, thus maintenance would be significantly lower than an ICE. But the more we see of mandatory $600 service visits, rumored $30/month 3G costs, $21 shipping for very small items, the supposed cost and maintenance advantages begin to fade away.

As for passing the cost along, sorry at that cost for the little bandwidth of last gen technology is concerned, it's more than just the cost being passed here. Or Tesla needs to do some better negotiating with their suppliers. I never expected it to be free. And since I have no car yet, I can't say that I had a free ride like most of you. But the rumored price is not what I would consider fair.

I may be getting a bit ornery because we are one day short of my self imposed bar of waiting for a sign, any sign of progress on my car. No sign in sight, no VIN, no Delivery window (but I have been asked to pre-sign up for service). 4 cars with very similar configs finalized after me scheduled to deliver within 2 weeks. But I still think $30 for 1GB of 3G per month is ridiculous, if that's what ends up being the case.

Well, can anybody point me to the information on Tesla's web site that there will be additional cost to use something like navigation, which as I understand needs 3G connectivity. When getting the Tech Package there is even stated that 7 years of free updates are included. I'd be very surprised if there would be any additional cost in the future to be able to use this features.

I agree with the general sentiment of this thread and hope Tesla wakes up and takes notice to this real or perceived nickel and dime'ing. Why not start charging for supercharging, at least it will provide a mechanism to control usage when they start to get congested. Better model to make back some money (bad for the current PR campaigns tho), if that is what they are trying to do.

Superchargers--said would be free, are. 3G--said would cost money, will cost money. I think reversing that would be absurd and probably involve a lot of lawsuits. Seriously, you think this would be a good idea? To take something already released as free for life and start charging, just to give people 3G?!

I love the car and experience so far...please Tesla don't taint it.

ROFL. If that's all it takes...wow, nothing this minor could "taint" (!) my experience. My car's as awesome as a week ago! :-D Especially now that I got a frunk net. :cool:

Well, can anybody point me to the information on Tesla's web site that there will be additional cost to use something like navigation, which as I understand needs 3G connectivity. When getting the Tech Package there is even stated that 7 years of free updates are included. I'd be very surprised if there would be any additional cost in the future to be able to use this features.

Nik, the navigation - the embedded Navigon turn-by-turn one that you see on the smaller dash LCD on the left - is indeed "free" with no need for 3G connectivity and with 7 years of updates with the tech pkg.

Without a data plan, you'll simply not have Google Maps on the big screen but, will still have turn-by-turn nav.

Many bought the car because of the notion that this was just a much simpler designed vehicle, thus maintenance would be significantly lower than an ICE. But the more we see of mandatory $600 service visits, rumored $30/month 3G costs, $21 shipping for very small items, the supposed cost and maintenance advantages begin to fade away.

While I haven't saved receipts from the first eight years of maintenance on my old Miata, I'm pretty sure the S's service/maintenance for the next 8 years will be less than that. I'm fine with the maintenance costs. And yeah the shipping's nuts but the Rockville Service Center is ordering stuff for me--if you're near a store or Service Center, I bet they will to--so, no shipping!

This stuff just doesn't meld together for me. (shrug)

As for passing the cost along, sorry at that cost for the little bandwidth of last gen technology is concerned, it's more than just the cost being passed here. Or Tesla needs to do some better negotiating with their suppliers. I never expected it to be free. And since I have no car yet, I can't say that I had a free ride like most of you. But the rumored price is not what I would consider fair.

If that pricing is correct, then the pricing's in line with what I pay AT&T now (sometimes for less). All the cell companies area rip off (yes, folks, even Verizon bites IMHO). I find it tough to get (more) bent out of shape for this one particular plan, I guess.

I may be getting a bit ornery because we are one day short of my self imposed bar of waiting for a sign, any sign of progress on my car. No sign in sight, no VIN, no Delivery window (but I have been asked to pre-sign up for service). 4 cars with very similar configs finalized after me scheduled to deliver within 2 weeks. But I still think $30 for 1GB of 3G per month is ridiculous, if that's what ends up being the case.

I think it's $30 for unlimited. I don't know where 1GB suddenly came from. Anyway, very sorry you don't have word on your car; you should contact Tesla (do you have a DS yet?), etc.

$30 a month is what AT&T charges for a 3GB tablet data plan (albeit 4G), so the amount sounds correct.

The costs of ownership are mounting! $30 a month for data, $40 for the service plan, $10 to $20 for vampire losses...

There have been a lot of jumping to conclusions based on a temporary hidden post that may not turn out to be accurate. I prefer waiting a bit longer to see what official pricing is. But I would also agree that if it turns out to be $30/mo for 3G from ATT that is a poor value.

I would echo. $30 is too much for what you get. (not 4g/LTE, no flash/video). $5/$10 a month maybe.. Plus I think if you paid for tech, it should be discounted because of the Navigation component.

Simple solution: ALLOW TETHERING!!!!! We all have cell phones already. We all have data plans already. This is wasteful in my mind. No need for duplication.

Ok. Thanks for clarification although that sound kind of low tech. Can I also enter destinations and the like without having access to maps?

From what I understand you won't be able to look up destinations with Google without internet access but can use your phone to find the address and then enter it on the Model S.

Quite simply, YES. Tesla advertised the Model S as nearly maintenance free .... then comes a required $600 annual service. Now, outdated cell technology at a premium price?

It's more about what we early adopters were sold vs. what we are now finding out .... So, if true, a major, major disappointment !

I agree with this. It also mirrors something else' "Pass this healthcare bill so that you can find out whats in it"