Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

3G to LTE Update?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Does anyone know what the network the current production cars come with? I remember hearing they were upgrading the 3G to LTE, but wondered if that has been done. Thanks.

And by the way folks (NigelM), I did try a search to find this info before creating a new thread . . . . :wink:

I believe I was the first in MN to get the 3g to LTE conversion, so I ran a bunch of tests afterwards, and you will see things get a bit snappier, but web browsing will be pretty close to the same (More to do with the browser, then the speed its connected to).

I'm reading that "it's been LTE for a while" and then someone else posting that they get the upgrade tomorrow. Is this only in Canada?

See this thread (still currently active): LTE upgrade is on the way

The LTE upgrade started back in June, 2015.

That's when cars from the factory started being delivered with LTE (see: It looks like I have LTE enabled)

When people talk about getting the LTE upgrade tomorrow, they're talking about a ~$500 retrofit package to upgrade your existing car.

And in fact, I'm getting the LTE upgrade tomorrow.

I got the upgrade just after I purchased my cpo
I have not seen a great deal of difference where i live but when traveling outside my area it is great
Surfing is much faster. Map updates including traffic is excellent
They have to pull the 17 inch display to install the new module so they replaced my dented screen surround and adjusted one
piano black dash piece that looked incorrect.
I have only seen 3G displayed once in two months otherwise always on LTE.

So its a win win for me.

I'm reading that "it's been LTE for a while" and then someone else posting that they get the upgrade tomorrow. Is this only in Canada?

LTE service has been available for quite some time now, but individual cars must have the LTE hardware in order to be able to use it. Older cars with the 3G module can upgrade to the LTE module for $500.

If you're going to be taking delivery of a 90D, your car will have the LTE module.

Getting the upgrade on Thursday

Will let you know my impressions

For us in Canada it may be a different report than heard on a few threads here about the upgrade (search)

I had an appointment to upgrade mine but I cancelled when I read this post:

Canada - LTE upgrade and travelling to the States - Page 3

However, I think that was a just a one off given other posts. I'd appreciate hearing your results, if you go down to the States after the upgrade.

You still have 3G
It switches over from LTE if there is no service

I understand that but our Canadian cars are roaming on Canada's Rogers cell signal since they are AT&T sim cards. There was some speculation that the new sims could be Rogers which, unless enabled, might not roam in the US. I think that has proven to be untrue though but I'm waiting for someone to actually get the upgrade (not a factory LTE) and then roam to the US and tell us it's working, since one poster said it did not.

I understand that but our Canadian cars are roaming on Canada's Rogers cell signal since they are AT&T sim cards. There was some speculation that the new sims could be Rogers which, unless enabled, might not roam in the US. I think that has proven to be untrue though but I'm waiting for someone to actually get the upgrade (not a factory LTE) and then roam to the US and tell us it's working, since one poster said it did not.

I'll get the upgrade but I don't plan on going state side soon so dont hold out for that verdict anytime soon from me... maybe when the dollar is better, can't afford the gas down there!

What makes you think a factory LTE would be different than a retro-fit?

So I upgraded to LTE... my verdict, was it worth it? Probably not.

There's about 2x boost in map tile painting, but still, that's not instant or anything, you still watch them block in. When you add in earth view and traffic, you start to notice the difference in speed more - for the better, of course. Sometimes the map tiles slowness to arrive seems to be a server side constraint, and not a transmit constraint. So LTE at these times is "a waste" because 3G waits just as fast, if you know what I'm saying.

And Slacker songs load a bit quicker when skipping to next. But they start playing before fully loaded anyway, so what if the rest of the song you haven't heard yet loads faster in the background?

My trip between cities I am most often traveling between all had good LTE coverage, but they also have good 3G coverage too. Never get into a dark zone with either.

I notice I am usually on 1bar LTE sometimes 2, rarely higher than that. 3G seemed to show 2 or 3 bars mostly all the time.

I might receive firmware and map updates and download them quicker, at LTE speed, but again, so what?

Overall, save your money, it's not that big of a user experience difference to justify the cost.

Last edited:
That's not been my experience. I found it was well worth the upgrade. My phone mostly shows two or three bars on LTE too. Bars don't really mean a whole lot anyway as they are not standard from device to device.

Keep in mind, my experience is western Canada. Don't know if that makes a difference...

And my car is classic... got me wondering if computers in autopilot cars have more grunt to them?

When I got the LTE done I also got a new center console computer and screen replacement (for other reasons). Ranger said model S computer is same across the line. Mine was marked "premium" on the box, he said that just means it comes with Nav and maps. I guess some model S that was an option, maybe the model 60? For those they get non-premium computers.

Does anyone know what the network the current production cars come with? I remember hearing they were upgrading the 3G to LTE, but wondered if that has been done. Thanks.

And by the way folks (NigelM), I did try a search to find this info before creating a new thread . . . . :wink:

Around July 2015 Tesla moved from 3G to LTE chips. A friend of mine that got his Tesla in April 2015 upgraded to the LTE chip for $500 last November.

That's not been my experience. I found it was well worth the upgrade. My phone mostly shows two or three bars on LTE too. Bars don't really mean a whole lot anyway as they are not standard from device to device.

Same here, got the LTE upgrade last week and have had significant increases in map loading and overall performance of the Nav. And I'm in the greater NYC area which is well covered for 3G and LTE.

I never really noticed a problem with Slacker loading or skipping, so that hasn't changed for me.

Web browser is a little quicker, but I know that limitation is the browser and not the cell connection.

Got our 70D with LTE and Auto Pilot early June. First LTE our service center had seen. The uplink speed of LTE is much higher than 3G was.

I suspect the roll out of the Auto Pilot sensors and LTE were needed to make all of the AP cars sensors for updating the mothership for both AP diagnostics as well as high definition mapping info in prep for Autonomous driving in a couple of years.

I think it is all part of a Master Plan. Expect to see next generation sensor package about a year before Model III deliveries. Enticement to trade up again.