Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

3LR charging issue

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I’m a bit confused - why would it need to be charged again if it hasn’t been unplugged and hasn’t been driven?

Is the objective here to charge a low SoC car up to a high SoC over multiple nights? (e.g. 4 hours wouldn’t be enough to take it from 20-80%, for example)
Hi, That's how I've used the ev.energy app (only a couple of times) in the past, and what I understood @Xdama was talking about earlier

I’m a bit confused - why would it need to be charged again if it hasn’t been unplugged and hasn’t been driven?

Is the objective here to charge a low SoC car up to a high SoC over multiple nights? (e.g. 4 hours wouldn’t be enough to take it from 20-80%, for example)
Yes, I do this fairly often. My 5 hour GoFaster period is not enough for a full charge if the battery is very low. 7kW x 5 hours gives less than 35kWh into the car after losses, so I sometimes need a couple of nights of charging after a long trip.

Reactions: Durzel
Hi, I see from the 25 points that came through on my account (and I trust yours as well!) that you have given it a go. How did you find it?
So far, it’s messed up both times I’ve tried scheduling for low rate electric lol. One of which the car decided to do an update so that may have buggered it. It may be I need to play about with the Project EV app which may be having an adverse effect🤷🏼‍♂️.
I have a different issue too, is there a way to set 2 different cars up on it? The wife has a Kona E so not sure if she’d need a separate account & if so would that just confuse the poor thing even further lol.

It’s at the “work in progress“ stage atm. Just going to sit in car now and try figure out what went wrong last night (update night). I couldn’t even force the charge when I woke at 3am, charge lead showed red on the Tesla app, not had that before.

So far, it’s messed up both times I’ve tried scheduling for low rate electric lol. One of which the car decided to do an update so that may have buggered it. It may be I need to play about with the Project EV app which may be having an adverse effect🤷🏼‍♂️.
I have a different issue too, is there a way to set 2 different cars up on it? The wife has a Kona E so not sure if she’d need a separate account & if so would that just confuse the poor thing even further lol.

It’s at the “work in progress“ stage atm. Just going to sit in car now and try figure out what went wrong last night (update night). I couldn’t even force the charge when I woke at 3am, charge lead showed red on the Tesla app, not had that before.
Update to that, it’s something to do with the Tesla / Apps, just tried unplugging and plugging in then starting charge from the Project EV app ….. nothing ….history shows charge equipment not communicating.
Plugged the same charge equipment into the Kona, start charge …. clunk and starts a charge.

I suspect the ev.energy app and the Project ev app are conflicting somehow.

Not particularly helpful but my Andersen charges as and when needed, only after the scheduled charging time of 02:30 (Octopus Go Faster). I don't have it set up to end at 06:30 though, since I don't do enough miles for it to need to charge that much to get to my charge limit.

I wonder if the problems are caused by the app/charge point disabling the charge at the cutoff time, so the car thinks the charging equipment is faulty and doesn't charge again until its been disconnected and reconnected? Or does EV.energy etc gracefully tell the car to stop charging?

is this specific to the OPs charger? I could experiment with the zappi to see if that works ok - only had an SR+ before so always pretty much filled it in one 4 hour session. Now have a LR and I could change the schedule to be shorter to check if it works on consecutive days.

It should work, but it does seem a bit of an edge case though - worst case a LR would need 3 overnight 4 hour blocks to fully charge from 0, more likely 2 nights from 10% to 80% (anything more urgent you'd just ignore the offpeak and get it done). So occasionally if you're doing a long trip and wanting to charge it back, doesn't seem a big issue to unplug and replug? Maybe 30 seconds the next morning or evening?

Not particularly helpful but my Andersen charges as and when needed, only after the scheduled charging time of 02:30 (Octopus Go Faster). I don't have it set up to end at 06:30 though, since I don't do enough miles for it to need to charge that much to get to my charge limit.

I wonder if the problems are caused by the app/charge point disabling the charge at the cutoff time, so the car thinks the charging equipment is faulty and doesn't charge again until its been disconnected and reconnected? Or does EV.energy etc gracefully tell the car to stop charging?
I’ve deleted the ev.energy app for now, will try charging the Tesla once wifey heads out. Tbh if I can’t schedule to charge on cheap rate then so be it. Just have to carry on as before and hit start before bed, it’s more important to have a full charge for me than wonder if I’m going to have any charge at all. Still cheaper than paying for diesel or electric at a public charger. I can pretty much gurantee I’ll hit the 4hrs of cheap rate for some of it anyway lol.
I don’t plug in every night due to 2 EV and I work away from home.

I suspect the ev.energy app and the Project ev app are conflicting somehow.
I'm not sure that's possible since the Project EV app is controlling the charge point, and the ev.energy app is controlling the Tesla's demand for charging. I wonder if your issue might be related to a charge setting on your Tesla. Let me explain why I say that.

If you plug in your Tesla to your charge point and both the Tesla and charge point are set to start immediately, then charging should begin irrespective of the ev.energy app settings. There's an FAQ on their website that explains this pretty clearly:

Why does my Tesla start charging immediately?​

Modified on: Mon, 8 Mar, 2021 at 12:03 PM

If you've set your Tesla to Smart Charge with ev.energy, your Tesla may occasionally start charging immediately.

This is because our system only talks to your Tesla every 30 minutes. This means when you first plug in, you may charge for a short period of time before our system kicks in.

To avoid this, we recommend you set a schedule on your car to tell your car to start charging at midnight every night. ev.energy will override this schedule within 30 minutes of you plugging in your vehicle.

So if you plugged in your Tesla and it didn't start charging immediately when you expected it to, but your wife's car did, then that suggests that the charge point is ready to go but there's a setting on your Tesla (such as a schedule or ready by time) that's inhibiting charging.

I described in post #17 above how I have my Tesla and the ev.energy app set up. Since configuring it, things have just worked.

Good luck tracking down the issue.

You'll need a separate account for your wife's Kona if you decide to persevere with the ev.energy app. Here's their support article on the subject:

Support For Multiple Cars​

Modified on: Thu, 9 Sep, 2021 at 8:03 PM

Currently the app is configured to support only one EV per user account/charger. We understand that some households may have multiple EVs and we fully intend to support more than one EV on the same user account in the future.

If you wish to charge both your EV's, you absolutely can - if you turn smart charging off, the charge point will act like a standard charger, and charge when you plug any car in. This can be done in the account tab in the app, under smart charging settings.

You should also be able to set up the car with the bigger battery in the app and then successfully smart charge both vehicles. Please note that this will all be recorded under the one car in the app.

Could well be but never had any issues before. Having said that now deleted ev.energy app plugged Tesla in at home started to charge. Looked at Project ev and Tesla app after an hr or so, charging stopped for some reason. No idea why🤷🏼‍♂️. Binned it off for now and sat at an Osprey charger on 35kW. Will have another bash after I get home tonight.

Could well be but never had any issues before. Having said that now deleted ev.energy app plugged Tesla in at home started to charge. Looked at Project ev and Tesla app after an hr or so, charging stopped for some reason. No idea why🤷🏼‍♂️. Binned it off for now and sat at an Osprey charger on 35kW. Will have another bash after I get home tonight.
When you say you've binned the app, did you cancel the smart charging setup you'd created on ev.energy before you deleted the app? Or did you cancel your account with them, or cancel the associated Tesla token? Because I suspect that unless you did one of these things, then your ev.energy settings will persist: my understanding is that their app uploads your settings to ev.energy's server, and unless you cancel them on the app or cancel your account, then your settings will remain operative. That may be why the charging stopped after half an hour, when the ev.energy server polled your Tesla and applied your "Smart(!) charging settings".

When you say you've binned the app, did you cancel the smart charging setup you'd created on ev.energy before you deleted the app? Or did you cancel your account with them, or cancel the associated Tesla token? Because I suspect that unless you did one of these things, then your ev.energy settings will persist: my understanding is that their app uploads your settings to ev.energy's server, and unless you cancel them on the app or cancel your account, then your settings will remain operative. That may be why the charging stopped after half an hour, when the ev.energy server polled your Tesla and applied your "Smart(!) charging settings".
Had to change the car to a n other or it kept communicating with the Tesla

Hi, I can see this post back in March.

I can’t the project ev to charge for a long period on the octopus go tariff. I get between 1 and 8kw. The ev box trips and reset it again last night thinking I’d gets a few more kw and I got nothing. I’ve had 20kw in a 5 hours sessions max.

I suspect it’s the project ev box. Anyone else having issues.