Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

3LR charging issue

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
hi all, so I have a 3 LR and have been using my octopus go with the wall point charger. I have been having an issue with the timed charging, the schedule on the wall box app is set up to charge from 0030 to 0430. All works fine the first night. If I don't use the car and the charger is left in the car won't charge on the second night. The car says charging has already started and the wall box says waiting for car demand.

If I unplug in the day and replug in then works fine.

Any ideas whether the car issue or is the wallbox an issue?

thanks

Hash

hi all, so I have a 3 LR and have been using my octopus go with the wall point charger. I have been having an issue with the timed charging, the schedule on the wall box app is set up to charge from 0030 to 0430. All works fine the first night. If I don't use the car and the charger is left in the car won't charge on the second night. The car says charging has already started and the wall box says waiting for car demand.

If I unplug in the day and replug in then works fine.

Any ideas whether the car issue or is the wallbox an issue?

thanks

Hash
Is the charger podpoint? It is a known issue in podpoint if you schedule one or two nights it normally doesn’t kick on other nights. So you have to schedule for all 7 nights 0030-430 and then connect on any nights it will automatically kick in.

Not sure about other chargers. And of course, remove any charging schedule set up in the car

Hi Hash,

I have Go - but I’ve never used my wall-box’s timer functions. I’ve heard too much about buggy interoperability problems on both the Tesla and wall-box side of things.

What I do is just set the Tesla to charge at 0030 - then add 4x10% to the current charge percentage as the limit for that night.

(Assumes you have a 32A wall-box - which, for an LR, adds around 10% an hour for all but the last bit of the charge-curve i.e. to around 90%).

Not perfect - but setting the charge limit becomes second nature very quickly - and avoids exposure to the buggy interoperability-type problems you are experiencing.

HTHs.

Reactions: Adopado and hash
sounds like the charger is waiting for a signal from the car to tell it it wants to charge but the car thinks it has been charging for 24 hours and so is not providing it. not sure whose fault it is or a flaw in the protocol but if you want a workaround try setting the car to start charging at 0:31 then hopefully that will prompt the handshake the charger is looking for maybe?

Reactions: hash
I have a PodPoint and have seen this behaviour. If the car is awake, or recently been awoken, no worries, if it's fast asleep then no charge!

I now have reliable charging by setting the PodPoint to 00:30 to 04:30 on its schedule, but I also have the start time of 00:30 set in the car (or is it 12:30?).

Having the car wake up to charge seems to make things work, but my PodPoint won't wake the car on its own.

As a footnote, the wife's e208 charges without issue, being woken quite happily by the PodPoint (no messing with the car).

Reactions: hash
I have a PodPoint and have seen this behaviour. If the car is awake, or recently been awoken, no worries, if it's fast asleep then no charge!

I now have reliable charging by setting the PodPoint to 00:30 to 04:30 on its schedule, but I also have the start time of 00:30 set in the car (or is it 12:30?).

Having the car wake up to charge seems to make things work, but my PodPoint won't wake the car on its own.

As a footnote, the wife's e208 charges without issue, being woken quite happily by the PodPoint (no messing with the car).
Thanks for the heads up. I've got a PodPoint which came heavily discounted with our Corsa-E and I've been relying on the PodPoint scheduling exclusively.

If the Tesla is scheduled to start 00.30, would it still take adhoc home charging/supercharging during the day or does the scheduling need to be turned off?

Thanks for the heads up. I've got a PodPoint which came heavily discounted with our Corsa-E and I've been relying on the PodPoint scheduling exclusively.

If the Tesla is scheduled to start 00.30, would it still take adhoc home charging/supercharging during the day or does the scheduling need to be turned off?
It won't charge adhoc during the day when at home, everywhere else (like work) it's fine.

If I want to charge outside 00:30 to 04:30 at home, I'd need to change the schedule on the the PodPoint and start the car charging manually.

• Helpful
Reactions: DrTR

Car scheduling would not need to be turned off. You just tell the car to start charging from the app or screen. That will temporarily override the schedule. Schedule is location dependant and will not affect supercharging.

• Helpful
Reactions: Adopado and DrTR
Project EV app has similar issues. Set it to charge every night start time of 0030 charge to full so it can cover both my 3LR and the wifes Kona E. Worked for a couple of weeks fine, then 1 night where wife needed a charge to get her to work (she’s a nurse) & I’m working away from home ….. boom no charge. She had enough to get her to work (50 min drive) 13hr shift, then had to stop at a fast charger on way home. Needless to say she won’t be relying on that anymore, after a 13hr shift she just wants to get home😳

Ad hoc charging unaffected. Just tap start charge either in the car or on the app. Leave the car’s timed setting at 0:30 as was. It will still use the timed start if you are not at your set percentage.

Hi Hash,

I have Go - but I’ve never used my wall-box’s timer functions. I’ve heard too much about buggy interoperability problems on both the Tesla and wall-box side of things.

What I do is just set the Tesla to charge at 0030 - then add 4x10% to the current charge percentage as the limit for that night.

(Assumes you have a 32A wall-box - which, for an LR, adds around 10% an hour for all but the last bit of the charge-curve i.e. to around 90%).

Not perfect - but setting the charge limit becomes second nature very quickly - and avoids exposure to the buggy interoperability-type problems you are experiencing.

HTHs.
pod point is limited to 30 A, not 32A

OP: Do not use the Pod Point scheduling, but rather use car schedule and set it 35% above the current SOC if you want to fit the Off-peak tariff. it works better.

pod point is limited to 30 A, not 32A

OP: Do not use the Pod Point scheduling, but rather use car schedule and set it 35% above the current SOC if you want to fit the Off-peak tariff. it works better.
I use podpoint scheduling with Octopus go, never had a problem. I just set it up for everyday from 1230-0430 and when I want to charge I just connect and it automatically charges during the cheap tariff. I have not set up the car scheduling.

I use podpoint scheduling with Octopus go, never had a problem. I just set it up for everyday from 1230-0430 and when I want to charge I just connect and it automatically charges during the cheap tariff. I have not set up the car scheduling.
yes. but as OP mentioned, if car has not been used, there is no additional communication between car and charger and it will not start to charge again.
I find using car's scheduler to be good, but I agree, this could be combined - or even left with pod point scheduling alone.

Hi, it might be worth looking at the ev.energy app which I've been using successfully with my 3LR since it arrived last June. My charger is dumb, so I wanted to find a way to restrict charging to the same Octopus Go times as you.

Not only can I make sure I charge at 5p per kWh, but the app rewards me with a point worth 25p each time I charge more than 10kWh. So every so often I get a £5 Amazon voucher in exchange for 20 points. If I only charge 10kWh at a time (costing 50p) then the reward halves the cost of the charge. Crazy!

My Tesla is scheduled to start charging at 00.30. My ev.energy app smart charging settings tell it to only charge at the 5p rate by using the "Only charge off-peak" switch. Overriding these settings for an instant charge is simple: away from home it happens automatically; and at home, I just toggle "Boost" on the ev.energy app home page.

HTH

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi, it might be worth looking at the ev.energy app which I've been using successfully with my 3LR since it arrived last June. My charger is dumb, so I wanted to find a way to restrict charging to the same Octopus Go times as you.

Not only can I make sure I charge at 5p per kWh, but the app rewards me with a point worth 25p each time I charge more than 10kWh. So every so often I get a £5 Amazon voucher in exchange for 20 points. If I only charge 10kWh at a time (costing 50p) then the reward halves the cost of the charge. Crazy!

My Tesla is scheduled to start charging at 00.30. My ev.energy app smart charging settings tell it to only charge at the 5p rate by using the "Only charge off-peak" switch. Overriding these settings for an instant charge is simple: away from home it happens automatically; and at home, I just toggle "Boost" on the ev.energy app home page.

HTH
Cheers, I’ll give that a go as the project ev app scheduled charging is untrustworthy.

Last edited by a moderator:
I’m a bit confused - why would it need to be charged again if it hasn’t been unplugged and hasn’t been driven?

Is the objective here to charge a low SoC car up to a high SoC over multiple nights? (e.g. 4 hours wouldn’t be enough to take it from 20-80%, for example)