Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

3LR: DRL in FOGs like US. I Want!!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have a M3 Long Range Dual Motor, imported from Germany (china build).
It has the fog lights and the thin, led- accent stripe, that comes on with the fog lights.

I see some US models have that accent stripe, light up with the eyebrows. (And the headlights).
It looks awesome and somehow adds something positive to the dimensions of the car.

I want that…
Some US models even have some amber lights in the fog-housing, and some have this indirect light as in the picture.

Is there a way to have this vague light, to be “always on” on my M3?

This is my first EV, and I get that It is fairly advanced electronics.

Back In the days when I drove 90’s beemers, it was simply a task of “stealing” 12v, from another source, like the headlights.. I guess it won’t Beas easy on a Tesla ? ;)

Attachments

• D3ACDA9D-BEF3-45FD-90B1-C7D75FB35450.jpeg
    D3ACDA9D-BEF3-45FD-90B1-C7D75FB35450.jpeg
    311.8 KB · Views: 1,164
If your fog assemblies have the light strips (MiCs can and/or you can easily buy some and install them instead of the ones you have), all you have to do is put the lights in position/marker mode when driving and they will illuminate along with taillights and dimmed headlights.

If your fog assemblies have the light strips (MiCs can and/or you can easily buy some and install them instead of the ones you have), all you have to do is put the lights in position/marker mode when driving and they will illuminate along with taillights and dimmed headlights.
I am looking for a solution that doesn’t require me changing the light settings, every time I go for a ride.

There is a thread on here 'SR foglights' (or similar), where there was discussion about permanently enabling the little light strips and getting fogs to work (back in 2018/2019). Search it out and hope you find what you need there.

You might still be better off getting a set of aftermarket assemblies, splicing some of the wiring to the same effect (that thread has the info you seek).

If only the Tesla GUI dev team spent half the time they did on TPMS recently, on light controls... we've been asking for a. car on/driving with no lights b. independent fog control, c. full DRL control since 2018. Didnt happen, likely wont happen.

I also just realised: that light is ALWAYS on…
Which is weird - that’s unnecessary power consumption
It should go off after about 10 minutes after the frunk is closed.

As a test, put your phone in the frunk and start recording a video and close the frunk.
In about 15 minutes (just to give it spare time) pop the frunk open and go through the video to see at what time it turns off.

I also just realised: that light is ALWAYS on…
Which is weird - that’s unnecessary power consumption
Just jump the wire for the DRLs to the fog light wire right next to it on the harness. If you take a look at the SR Fog Light thread, you can see what I'm talking about. They do the same thing..albeit backwards. They jump the fog light wire to the DRL. Just follow their wiring instructions backwards.

It should go off after about 10 minutes after the frunk is closed.

As a test, put your phone in the frunk and start recording a video and close the frunk.
In about 15 minutes (just to give it spare time) pop the frunk open and go through the video to see at what time it turns off.
I thought that button was always illuminated as a safety feature in case a (very small) person gets locked in the frunk and needs to pop it from the inside.

Just jump the wire for the DRLs to the fog light wire right next to it on the harness. If you take a look at the SR Fog Light thread, you can see what I'm talking about. They do the same thing..albeit backwards. They jump the fog light wire to the DRL. Just follow their wiring instructions backwards.
Can you link this SR Fog Light thread. I’ve searched but having trouble tracking it down.