Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

3LR or SR+ clearance with a flat tyre?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
For emergency roadside use to repair a (non performance) Model 3 tyre:

Does anyone know what height jack will fit under the jacking point if you have a flat tyre? I'm looking at low profile scissor jacks that might fit. Most will certainly fit when the tyres are inflated but I'm not sure what height is needed if the tyre is flat. I suppose I could wait until I have the car then check the distance of the rim to the ground and subtract this from the ground clearance to give the worst case figure.

But someone might have already worked this out.

Another question- are the pucks mainly used for trolley jacks and when tyre places have their clutches on your vehicle or are they advisable for any and all jacking?

For emergency roadside use to repair a (non performance) Model 3 tyre:

Does anyone know what height jack will fit under the jacking point if you have a flat tyre? I'm looking at low profile scissor jacks that might fit. Most will certainly fit when the tyres are inflated but I'm not sure what height is needed if the tyre is flat. I suppose I could wait until I have the car then check the distance of the rim to the ground and subtract this from the ground clearance to give the worst case figure.

But someone might have already worked this out.

Another question- are the pucks mainly used for trolley jacks and when tyre places have their clutches on your vehicle or are they advisable for any and all jacking?
I have the Porsche Aluminium Jack from the 70s/80s which is rated for the weight of the Car (1000kg realistically for half the car) it's very lightweight

In terms of heights etc.... My attitude is there almost always some sort of rocks/rubbish/timber/general garbage you can find on the side of the road to be able to drive up on to to lift the height of a flat tyre a bit....

Reactions: doggy1
  • Helpful
Reactions: Hairyman
Thank you. I had looked at these Porsche jacks and I realise that they are one solution. However, what I would really prefer to know, at this stage, is clearance required with a flat tyre.

Alternatively, on the assumption that the Porsche works, what is the height of the Porsche jack when folded right down?

You can use ramp to increase the clearance, this way most scissor jack will work
Thank you.
This post was 14 months ago and I solved the problem by buying a low profile jack (from eBay, about 6tonne but in reality less than claimed but fine for my LR), cutting off the swivel top and using it with a puck. A ramp is okay if you are at home but less available on the side of the road out in the country.

Lucky that you have a jack that fits.
Not luck. I researched it thoroughly including the available space with a puck and with and without flat tyres plus availability of suitable jacks. I tried very hard to find a low profile Porsche jack but the only ones were well over $500. So what I ended up with works fine but I did need my angle grinder. I also carry decent tools for getting wheel nuts off and on. Plus a twin cylinder pump and comprehensive repair kit, though that is no good for side wall damage. No need for ramps though that is an option if you want to do it that way and do not mind the space. I have a low profile trolley jack for home use as well as robust chassis stands and have done my own tyre rotation at home (subject of another thread).

I should have published the required clearances to help others. However it does depend upon rim size and specific tyres so better to do your own measurements to be sure.