Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

3LRD BackUp Camera

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Took delivery of 3LRD on April 19. Having issues with my backup camera; wondering if this is a common issue; perhaps a s/w glitch that Tesla is aware of and intends to fix.

The problem: when placing in reverse, the bu camera pop-up window is black (no video; just a black window). It takes a few seconds for the camera to turn on. It is an intermittent issue; sometimes the camera comes on right away, sometimes it is takes a couple of seconds, sometimes it is longer. During longer instances, I have tried to close the camera window (x top left) and re-open it using the bu camera icon in the instrument area; no effect, when the window comes back up it is still black.

Anyone else out in Tesla M3 land experiencing similar issue? Resolution?

I have a service call tomorrow and will let the tech know, but as I said, it is intermittent so may be hard to demo.

Reactions: fiatlux
Yeah happens with mine too. I think it’s related to the latest software version, which I believe was supposed to fix the problem from a previous release because it never used to happen. It’s a safety issue for sure but I was expect it to be corrected via an OTA update

Thought I was the only one until I did a search for this issue. Started occurring on my 2018 build Model 3 for a few months, first sporadically but seemed to grow increasingly more frequent, screen blank, would have to place in Park and reverse again, 1 or more times to get the backup camera screen to properly turn on. If more owners are seeing this, is there a fix or update patch on the way? I'm assuming this is a software based glitch across all Tesla's