TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

3M Crystalline - 20 or 40

Discussion in 'Model 3: Interior & Exterior' started by daver6640, Jul 31, 2018.

1. daver6640

daver6640 Member

I am scheduled for my window tint this Saturday Aug 4th. I am not sure if the 20 is too dark for the back window. The installer can do it in one piece.

I was going to do either:

20 rear window
    20 back sides
    70 front sides
    No sunroof tint

OR

40 rear window
    40 back sides
    70 front sides
    No sunroof tint

I am not sure about the front windshield is it safe? Any suggestions or thoughts?

Thanks

• Like x 1
  2. P85_DA

P85_DA Supporting Member

20 in crystalline is not dark I had on S for your area would do that ...

I haven’t been a fan to much of tinted windshields as sometimes u get distortion when wearing sunglasses or can mess with electronics like transponders etc ..I had a really light crystalline windshield tint on S that after driving for few years convinced me not to do on X ..some folks have no issues but YMMV

• Informative x 1
    • Like x 1
    • Disagree x 1
  3. Point 3

Point 3 Member

Here is 40 all around if that helps

522D9FFB-2F86-4751-B344-02A470E21A50.jpeg

• Like x 4
    • Love x 1
  4. P85_DA

P85_DA Supporting Member

:eek:
    Here’s 20 ...depending on light it can look darker or lighter lol

FE3EF007-10B3-425E-8807-4B2A7F30F7B0.jpeg

• Like x 3
    • Disagree x 1
    • Love x 1
  5. daver6640

daver6640 Member

Thanks for the pics! That helps a lot. No windshield tint for me.

They both look good so I can’t go wrong.

• Like x 1
  6. rfmurphy81

rfmurphy81 Member

You may want to consider 70 on the front windshield, just for the purposes of heat rejection. I got it on my last S and getting it next week on my new S and the 3, hoping it'll cut down on how hard the AC has been working on both vehicles.

• Like x 3
  7. MissyMcBee

MissyMcBee Member

I agree, i did 70% on the windshield and it helped. When the sun hits that windshield, it heats up pretty good. It still heats up with 70% but a noticeable improvement. I'm not sure on the long term effects of the windshield tint as per @P85_DA but time will tell....:cool:

• Like x 1
    • Love x 1
  8. Point 3

Point 3 Member

I may go back to get the windshield done, does anyone have pricing for just the windshield with 70?

• Like x 1
  9. MissyMcBee

MissyMcBee Member

I have a windshield tint strip (at the top of the glass) on my Acura that came stock with the vehicle and I wish Tesla would do that as part of their stock glass! it makes such a difference when that sun hits ...

• Like x 1
  10. shiz

shiz Member

why are you not doing the sunroof? I read in another read that they were avoiding it as well...was there some concern about cracking?

11. daver6640

daver6640 Member

I had heard that too. I like the way it looks now. Maybe a Crystalline 40 there.

• Like x 1
  12. MikeC

MikeC Active Member

Another vote for 70 on the windshield. I went back and had it done and highly recommend.

• Like x 3
  13. AnarchyEOD

AnarchyEOD Member

I’m also on the fence with 20/40.... definitely doing 70 on the windshield though.

What’s the roof tinted at?

14. d21mike

d21mike Member

For my model S I just did the following per recommendations from the installer who says he does a lot of Tesla's and is recommended by the local Tesla SC.

My goal was Heat protection and UV protection. I think he said the car's back side windows has some tint with UVA protection. The 3M tint comes with UVA and UVB and heat protection with ALL shades of TINT.

70% for the front side door windows. This is the legal limit in CA.
    50% for the back side door windows.
    50% for the rear hatch.

Some complain on here about purple on the back hatch back with this 3M TINT.

He said the purple is mainly caused by going too dark. He said should not see that with the 50. So far have not notice it. But he did said you notice more in the morning with some morning water. I park in the garage.

15. TintDepot.com

TintDepot.com Member

"Purple" is caused by having the wrong dye in the film; as the UV breaks it down poorer quality window films can turn purple. I'm surprised that brand turned purple; that's not good at all. Always buy quality lifetime warranty window films that have a warranty "Never to Fade Purple." Premium quality "Ceramic" films reject much more heat than "NR/dyed" & HP films. 70% should be a Ceramic film too since you want to reject as much heat as possible.

Good luck!

• Like x 1
  16. TintDepot.com

TintDepot.com Member

I love my 70% windshield film, it blocks a ton of heat (Ceramic Film).

17. d21mike

d21mike Member

3M Crystalline is what my local installer recommends as the BEST (at least that he installs). So I started reading on TMC Forums about 3M Crystalline and the purple issue was what some people were saying is a problem with 3M Crystalline. But only on the Model S Hatchback. Not on the side windows. I am just sharing what I read about it on these forums.

18. Point 3

Point 3 Member

I don’t believe he meant that it “turned purple”, some are saying the crystalline on the back window looks purple when it is installed.

On mine it looks exactly like the sunroof does from the factory with no tint added, with the light brown to orange effect when it is wet

• Like x 1
  19. MikeC

MikeC Active Member

On the Model S hatch, Crystalline can look very red when wet, it looks like drops of fruit punch. No coloration issues when dry.

20. AnarchyEOD

AnarchyEOD Member

How do you like the 40? Does it blend with the roof in back?