Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

3M Crystalline - 20 or 40

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I am scheduled for my window tint this Saturday Aug 4th. I am not sure if the 20 is too dark for the back window. The installer can do it in one piece.

I was going to do either:

20 rear window
20 back sides
70 front sides
No sunroof tint

OR

40 rear window
40 back sides
70 front sides
No sunroof tint

I am not sure about the front windshield is it safe? Any suggestions or thoughts?

Thanks

Reactions: TintDepot.com
20 in crystalline is not dark I had on S for your area would do that ...

I haven’t been a fan to much of tinted windshields as sometimes u get distortion when wearing sunglasses or can mess with electronics like transponders etc ..I had a really light crystalline windshield tint on S that after driving for few years convinced me not to do on X ..some folks have no issues but YMMV

I am scheduled for my window tint this Saturday Aug 4th. I am not sure if the 20 is too dark for the back window. The installer can do it in one piece.

I am not sure about the front windshield is it safe? Any suggestions or thoughts?

Thanks

Here is 40 all around if that helps

522D9FFB-2F86-4751-B344-02A470E21A50.jpeg

You may want to consider 70 on the front windshield, just for the purposes of heat rejection. I got it on my last S and getting it next week on my new S and the 3, hoping it'll cut down on how hard the AC has been working on both vehicles.
I agree, i did 70% on the windshield and it helped. When the sun hits that windshield, it heats up pretty good. It still heats up with 70% but a noticeable improvement. I'm not sure on the long term effects of the windshield tint as per @P85_DA but time will tell....:cool:

• Love
Reactions: P85_DA and Point 3

I was going to do either:

20 rear window
20 back sides
70 front sides
No sunroof tint

OR

40 rear window
40 back sides
70 front sides
No sunroof tint

Thanks

why are you not doing the sunroof? I read in another read that they were avoiding it as well...was there some concern about cracking?

For my model S I just did the following per recommendations from the installer who says he does a lot of Tesla's and is recommended by the local Tesla SC.

My goal was Heat protection and UV protection. I think he said the car's back side windows has some tint with UVA protection. The 3M tint comes with UVA and UVB and heat protection with ALL shades of TINT.

70% for the front side door windows. This is the legal limit in CA.
50% for the back side door windows.
50% for the rear hatch.

Some complain on here about purple on the back hatch back with this 3M TINT.

He said the purple is mainly caused by going too dark. He said should not see that with the 50. So far have not notice it. But he did said you notice more in the morning with some morning water. I park in the garage.

For my model S I just did the following per recommendations from the installer who says he does a lot of Tesla's and is recommended by the local Tesla SC.

My goal was Heat protection and UV protection. I think he said the car's back side windows has some tint with UVA protection. The 3M tint comes with UVA and UVB and heat protection with ALL shades of TINT.

70% for the front side door windows. This is the legal limit in CA.
50% for the back side door windows.
50% for the rear hatch.

Some complain on here about purple on the back hatch back with this 3M TINT.

He said the purple is mainly caused by going too dark. He said should not see that with the 50. So far have not notice it. But he did said you notice more in the morning with some morning water. I park in the garage.

"Purple" is caused by having the wrong dye in the film; as the UV breaks it down poorer quality window films can turn purple. I'm surprised that brand turned purple; that's not good at all. Always buy quality lifetime warranty window films that have a warranty "Never to Fade Purple." Premium quality "Ceramic" films reject much more heat than "NR/dyed" & HP films. 70% should be a Ceramic film too since you want to reject as much heat as possible.

Good luck!

Reactions: logan
"Purple" is caused by having the wrong dye in the film; as the UV breaks it down poorer quality window films can turn purple. I'm surprised that brand turned purple; that's not good at all. Always buy quality lifetime warranty window films that have a warranty "Never to Fade Purple." Premium quality "Ceramic" films reject much more heat than "NR/dyed" & HP films. 70% should be a Ceramic film too since you want to reject as much heat as possible.

Good luck!
3M Crystalline is what my local installer recommends as the BEST (at least that he installs). So I started reading on TMC Forums about 3M Crystalline and the purple issue was what some people were saying is a problem with 3M Crystalline. But only on the Model S Hatchback. Not on the side windows. I am just sharing what I read about it on these forums.

Good luck!

I don’t believe he meant that it “turned purple”, some are saying the crystalline on the back window looks purple when it is installed.

On mine it looks exactly like the sunroof does from the factory with no tint added, with the light brown to orange effect when it is wet

Reactions: TintDepot.com
3M Crystalline is what my local installer recommends as the BEST (at least that he installs). So I started reading on TMC Forums about 3M Crystalline and the purple issue was what some people were saying is a problem with 3M Crystalline. But only on the Model S Hatchback. Not on the side windows. I am just sharing what I read about it on these forums.

On the Model S hatch, Crystalline can look very red when wet, it looks like drops of fruit punch. No coloration issues when dry.