Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

3M Crystalline on Panoramic Sunroof on Model S? Thoughts and Experiences Appreciated

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I personally cant stand film based window tint. It always seem to look like a "boy racer" thing to me....

Just vent the roof...
Have you seen 3M crystalline 70? You can't tell there is anything on the windows. There is no look to it. Or maybe you have seen it and didn't realize it, because the car looks the same. It should't even be called "tint", it's heat rejection film. There is even a 90% transmittance film that rejects almost as much heat if you can tell the difference with how the car looks with 70.

I just received my Model S - Loving it! I live in Florida and know I need to get the Windows Tinted. I read 3M Crystalline is the best on heat reduction which is needed in Florida. I called an Authorized 3M installer and was told they do not recommend doing the Roof as they have seen other cars roofs have issues as the heat cannot escape? Any info on 3M Crystalline on the Panoramic Roof greatly appreciated.
Thanks
John

Tesla store told me that the roof already has 3M Crystalline on it - I don't know if that's true, but it definitely has something on it that rejects the heat. I got 3M on the sides, back, and windshield - and skipped the pano. No regrets.

I tinted my pano roof and boy you don't know what your missing. I strongly recommend it. It's not as bright and blinding in the car and I personally feel it's a bit cooler.

But it that is my 2 cents everyone is different and I would rather not get into a debate with anyone. I'm just providing my point of few and real world experience :)

I tinted my pano roof and boy you don't know what your missing. I strongly recommend it. It's not as bright and blinding in the car and I personally feel it's a bit cooler.

But it that is my 2 cents everyone is different and I would rather not get into a debate with anyone. I'm just providing my point of few and real world experience :)

Thanks.

I agree that this is a personal preference issue that depends on where you live and what your objectives are when buying a panoramic roof.

The following remarks are not directed at Kenne74, I fully respect his decision for his situation. These remarks are directed to those still on the fence.

It should be pointed out that the panoramic roof already blocks 98% of visible light without additional tinting. So if you are an owner that values the functionality of being able to see out through the roof, then you should be careful on what type of tint, if any, to add to the panoramic roof. There is no question that you can add additional tint to further reduce the light entering the car, but is that really what you want with a panoramic roof?

In my opinion in very warm climates, where you have occasion to frequently leave your car out in the sun, it may be useful to add additional solar blocking, but if you still want a panoramic roof that you can see out of, it might make sense to buy a high-end film that has the minimum amount of tinting, but still provides additional blocking of solar energy. For example, 3M's top rated tint is Cystalline and you can get Cystalline 90. This transmits 86% of visible light and blocks an additional 34% of total solar energy.

If you feel you need to further block the solar heat load by using dark tints to block more visible light, then perhaps a panoramic roof is not a practical feature to buy in your situation. You would be incurring the cost of the panoramic roof option, spending additional money on adding tint and essentially the only thing you would have purchased is a moon roof opening, because most of the panoramic functionality would have been removed.

Larry

Last edited:
I have my pano done for all around comfort with photosynch 35. Works very well just like the door windows and front windshield (all with photosynch as well). I spend lots of time driving during the day and I pick up clients for lunch venues, so it's nice to have them in comfort. On 80 degree days, I'm at level 2 on the AC and <70, I don't even have AC on at all. Helps a little with energy consumption. :)

I have my pano done for all around comfort with photosynch 35. Works very well just like the door windows and front windshield (all with photosynch as well). I spend lots of time driving during the day and I pick up clients for lunch venues, so it's nice to have them in comfort. On 80 degree days, I'm at level 2 on the AC and <70, I don't even have AC on at all. Helps a little with energy consumption. :)

Hi Lloyd,

I assume you mean Photosynch45. Prestige Spectra Photosync™ Adaptive Window Film.

Photosynch 45 blocks up to an additional 65% of the visible light. So with the panoramic roof's tint of 98% only about .7% of the visible light is being transmitted inside. Can you still see through the panoramic roof?

Thanks.

Larry

Hi Lloyd,

I assume you mean Photosynch45. Prestige Spectra Photosync™ Adaptive Window Film.

Photosynch 45 blocks up to an additional 65% of the visible light. So with the panoramic roof's tint of 98% only about .7% of the visible light is being transmitted inside. Can you still see through the panoramic roof?

Thanks.

Larry

I certainly can. Did not notice much of a difference in visibility to be quite honest, but feels really cool