Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

3M Crystalline shade question?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Getting windows tinted
I have this on my Model S
Classy and worked out great
Dont know the level that I had put on it
I have a 3 now
Want to tint it including windshield to reduce heat and glare
Dont want it to be too dark at night

What level do you think I should get with my wants and needs?
I have Red exterior and Black Interior

No darker than 70% on the windshield (70% isnt really visible). If you dont want it to look tinted at all, you can use 70% all around. You might consider 70% for windshield, and whatever the next level down. is that for the windows, since you mention you dont "want it to look dark".

I wanted it to look dark (so mine is much darker than that on the windows, but I do have 70% on the windshield and you cant tell its tinted, but I feel it helps with the heat. I have 3m Crystalline all around on my model 3.

30-35% is a standard tint for side windows, there's an obvious tint and reflection effect but can still see through it. Every state is different, but it's common to have a limit of 35% for the front sides.

Next step lower is usually 20%, dark enough where the face is not visible from outside. This is often put on the rear side and large rear windows. It's difficult to see through this level at night.

5% is only useful for limos, rear windows, or tryhards.

Anything higher than 35% will look light, with ~55% the lightest you can see a tint. That's why 70% is great for windshields, very hard to tell from outside.

20% all the way around with 55% or 70% windshield is probably the best setup for a dark classy vehicle.

Pictures are useless, because the same tint can look twice as dark from picture to picture depending on the light.

20 percent is pretty dark with a white interior.

30 percent is pretty decent, and I think would be good for a black interior.

Don't forget to do the roof over your head. Tesla nerfed the coating and now it doesn't work as well as the older cars. You can definitely feel the heat.

Isn't it illegal to tint front door windows in California?

Yes, for all intents and purposes, it is. It is not legal to tint either the windshield (more than a strip that goes across the top of the windshield) nor is it legal to tint the driver or passenger front windows. There is no tint made that meets the criteria for the front windows in california, however if you live here (your location says you do), you will notice that plenty of people do it.

In fact, you would probably find 40-50% of "nicer cars" that are not just "cars for transportation" with tinted front windows. I have been driving since I was 16, and I am 53, and every car I have had since I was in my mid 20s, I have tinted my front windows. Sometimes you get a ticket, but not often. I would imagine that I have gotten maybe 3-4 "tint fix it" tickets from my mid 20s till now (53).

@jimtelsa My car is 20% all around, so likely way too dark for you. Its not too dark at night for me, but my car windows are tinted dark enough that you basically cant see into the car during the day when in the sun, so obviously at night, its dark. I can see just fine out of the side windows.

The windshield is 70% as I said, and it has no obvious tint to it. Authorities will normally give you a ticket for an obviously tinted windshield, but in general, wont give a window tint ticket unless they stop you for something else, or are annoyed.

Went with 70% on the windshield and Sunroof 50% all other windows
Came out just perfect Thanks for the help.

How's the windshield clarity for the 70% crystalline? I was thinking about getting it for my windshield, but I have 40% on my other windows and noticed it has a green/brownish tinge to it. Any distortion or light reflection issues with the film being at an angle?

How's the windshield clarity for the 70% crystalline? I was thinking about getting it for my windshield, but I have 40% on my other windows and noticed it has a green/brownish tinge to it. Any distortion or light reflection issues with the film being at an angle?

I dont notice any. I have had it on for more than 2 years, and havent had any issues with the 70% on my windshield. Day, night, etc, it seems to help quite a bit with heat through the model 3s very large windshield.

With that being said, some people are more susceptible to seeing artifacts etc. I dont have any issues with my windshield, for example, but am into "good TV" (meaning high end TVs) at home, and can see blooming from edge lit LCD TVs, so much it ruins my TV watching experience.

others dont see it, until I point it out... then they, too, cant unsee it, and I tell them "your welcome".

Last edited:
i wear Maui Jims sunglasses and can see a color change in the upper corners through the windshield, just very slight
with no sunglasses, its just clear
Night is perfect
I was fearful that it would decrease vision but it has improved it. Same amount of light but less glare
Even with the additional tinting the heat after sitting in the parking lot for 8 hours is intense
It does cool down after awhile with the AC on, but I feel the heat from the sunroof panel, and not windshield
I have 30% on my Model S and I don't notice the heat that much, but that interior is beige
I just can say how happy I am on the final tint color and early performance
With Tinting you do see windshield abnormalities more clearly
I have a small rock ding and it casts a small little shadow on the a pillar
Will be going to see if safelight can repair