Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

3M Crystalline Tint on a Model 3 - color and smell?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

sbtz

Jan 18, 2016
CA
Just got 70% on the windshield and 40% for all other windows - I noticed that the side windows are, as expected, a lot darker than the windshield - but they're also considerably more "brown" in color. Has anyone else noticed this?

And maybe more importantly, does the smell of the tint/adhesive ever go away? It's quite strong, and more than overwhelms the new car smell. I've let the car sit with some of the windows down/up for hours, and it's still smelly after over a week. I've never had this happen with other cars I've had tinted in the past (non-Crystalline)...

Just got 70% on the windshield and 40% for all other windows - I noticed that the side windows are, as expected, a lot darker than the windshield - but they're also considerably more "brown" in color. Has anyone else noticed this?

And maybe more importantly, does the smell of the tint/adhesive ever go away? It's quite strong, and more than overwhelms the new car smell. I've let the car sit with some of the windows down/up for hours, and it's still smelly after over a week. I've never had this happen with other cars I've had tinted in the past (non-Crystalline)...
Yes, it’s a bit brown from the inside looking out. I have 20 in rear and 20 on the sides.

Attachments

• F02F0FA1-CDA0-4B68-8DA5-9B69AC1DAC06.jpeg
    F02F0FA1-CDA0-4B68-8DA5-9B69AC1DAC06.jpeg
    358.7 KB · Views: 1,080
Reactions: sbtz
I like it no regrets but I am sure other tints are good too. Probably the most important part is a good installer.

Attachments

• D6730508-8EFF-4043-BC70-BFEF0A773082.jpeg
    D6730508-8EFF-4043-BC70-BFEF0A773082.jpeg
    205.8 KB · Views: 563
  • 6523B56E-1CD6-4E7B-AEE0-1A9D1B888152.jpeg
    6523B56E-1CD6-4E7B-AEE0-1A9D1B888152.jpeg
    450.5 KB · Views: 546
If you compare side-by-side, Crystalline and Photosync both have a slight brown/green hue, whereas Suntek CXP and Llumar CTX both are very neutral grey/smoke color. Crystalline and Photosync advertise better heat rejection than Suntek and Llumar, so that could be a reason.

I've had Llumar on 2 cars and never noticed a smell. Is this specific to a particular brand of tint?

Yea, got my tint done last Friday and it stills smells horrible. I guess the adhesive they used smells like vomit. It's starting to go away now after a week but it's still there.

But the heat rejection is amazing, I can comfortably put my arms on the window sill without them burning.

Reactions: Timmy T.

Yes, the smell will go away eventually but it does take a LONG time, got mine done a couple weeks after yours. And yes, once you hit Crystalline 50, brown is introduced into the tint, so 40 will definitely have a brown hue. I have Crystalline 60 on all windows and there is NO brown, it is a bluish/gray color, like your 70.

For the other people in the thread who said that the tint they used had a great smell, that's not from the tint, that's the slip solution the installer used. A lot use lemon Joy, I gave them a bottle of unscented dish detergent, because I'm allergic to fragrances. There are also commercial solutions that are green apple flavored and other scents.

To the person who said the adhesive they used smells like vomit, they don't PUT adhesive on the tint. It already has adhesive on it, they peel the backing off and place it on your window.

• Informative
To the person who said the adhesive they used smells like vomit, they don't PUT adhesive on the tint. It already has adhesive on it, they peel the backing off and place it on your window.

Sorry, not adhesive. I don't really know how tinting works :)

But the vomit like smell disappeared after a few weeks. It was probably whatever the tint shop used as slip solution. But I'm super happy with the tint film, it's a dramatic difference in heat rejection.

Sorry, not adhesive. I don't really know how tinting works :)

But the vomit like smell disappeared after a few weeks. It was probably whatever the tint shop used as slip solution. But I'm super happy with the tint film, it's a dramatic difference in heat rejection.
Do you get a rainbow effect when it rains on the tint (like the roof on the Model 3)?

I've got 25's all around except the windshield @ 70. The smell definitely goes away but after the glue cures, the color is basically a greyish light brown from the interior. Viewed from the exterior it looks black.
Hey there, I'm a Crystalline Certified dealer and I just noticed you said 25%. Crystalline only comes in 90, 80, 70, 60, 50, 40 & 20, No 25's Want to make sure incase you made a typo and someone is asking for 25% :/ Great car!