Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

3M Crystalline Windshield Woes

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Anyone else have visibility issues with 3M Crystalline (70% in my case) being applied to the double pane windshield? There is a ton of light refraction between the 2 pieces of glass and the tint layers, to the point where it's pretty annoying to drive around. Especially at dusk / night. The installer told me this was normal with the curved double pane glass, but it seems like everyone here is using it just fine. Did I get a bad batch of material? It happens uniformly across the entire windshield. My friends with 3M Ceramic IR seem to have no such problems.

Some pictures that are pretty much what I’m seeing
8C61D0D6-686C-4CD5-8EBF-0DC682F4A191.jpeg

Attachments

• 9AD1E1AB-2B2D-4846-B97E-AEFDB7D1DB0A.jpeg
    9AD1E1AB-2B2D-4846-B97E-AEFDB7D1DB0A.jpeg
    295.2 KB · Views: 161
  • 879FE5EE-5A5C-43E2-91F0-00D7FB37A5C3.jpeg
    879FE5EE-5A5C-43E2-91F0-00D7FB37A5C3.jpeg
    361.2 KB · Views: 157
I had similar issues in a model s, it had to be re-done and that fixed the problem. A few years later, the windshield was replaced and I used a different installer, Walnut Creek Customs, to do the tint on the new glass. They did it right the first time. Highly recommended. They are very familiar with tinting Teslas. Comparing installers, it matters who you use.

Interesting, this place was recommended by other Tesla owners but they are saying I’m not the only one with problems. They are willing to refund or try applying it again. Not sure if they would want to refund after trying twice and I feel bad having them toil over it.

There is no such thing as a double pane windshield. All automobile windshields in the US have been made of laminated glass since the 1950s. Laminated glass is simply two pieces of glass with a plastic laminate layer glued in between the pieces of glass.

Tesla originally used safety glass (tempered glass) in the side windows and rear hatch glass of the Model Y. US DOT safety regulations now require laminated glass for the driver and front passenger windows. This is to help prevent the passengers from being ejected from the vehicle during a crash, especially if the vehicle rolls over. There is a much higher risk of serious injury or death if you are ejected from the vehicle during a crash. Eventually the rear windows will also be required to be made of laminated glass.