Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

3M IR Tint vs LLumar IRX Tint

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I've had Llumar CTX in my previous cars and will be going with Llumar IRX for my MYLR and my partner's M3LR. Just waiting for our appointments now. Two shops near me only carry Llumar I think.
I’m over in NYC and you’d think there’s a ton of certified dealers but there really aren’t. The LLumar website had one number to a dealer that the line was out of service lol. I actually may have to go to Jersey to get this

Do you think the roof factory tint is sufficient ?
I don’t live in the desert but for the Bay Area I think it’s fine. I’m 6-2 so I’m closer
To the roof than most. The windshield and front windows will make the greatest difference. Rear windows will help with stabilizing temperatures while driving and keep rear passengers more comfortable.

Reactions: Tes-londa
I don’t live in the desert but for the Bay Area I think it’s fine. I’m 6-2 so I’m closer
To the roof than most. The windshield and front windows will make the greatest difference. Rear windows will help with stabilizing temperatures while driving and keep rear passengers more comfortable.
I’m 6’4” lol so I guess we will see. I didn’t realize there were so many variants of their tint. This shop doesn’t have the one you mentioned. I hope the IRX is as good?

Got Formula 1 Stratos tint installed today. 50% on all the clear glass and 40% on the rear glass.

Tech, who has 30 years in the business and is rated the top llumar tech in the west, states tinting the roof just isn’t worth it and won’t do it. Given it already comes with IR heat rejection properties, you won’t get much from tint.

The tint looks outstanding. I went darker on the windshield (50%) vs 70% as I wanted the gray rather than the blue look. I dig it. Driving home in the dark (metropolitan) wasn’t an issue. Maybe more so for super dark, no natural lighting areas. Can’t wait to test it out tomorrow! Will update with photos as well.

It took 2 months to get in with this guy. In part because I rescheduled my first appointment that was 6 weeks out initially to the next available.

Interestingly enough, the car is quieter on the highway with the tint—I think it helps reduce some of the sound bouncing / reflecting properties. I bet a sunshade would help that even more so.

Got Formula 1 Stratos tint installed today. 50% on all the clear glass and 40% on the rear glass.

Tech, who has 30 years in the business and is rated the top llumar tech in the west, states tinting the roof just isn’t worth it and won’t do it. Given it already comes with IR heat rejection properties, you won’t get much from tint.

The tint looks outstanding. I went darker on the windshield (50%) vs 70% as I wanted the gray rather than the blue look. I dig it. Driving home in the dark (metropolitan) wasn’t an issue. Maybe more so for super dark, no natural lighting areas. Can’t wait to test it out tomorrow! Will update with photos as well.

It took 2 months to get in with this guy. In part because I rescheduled my first appointment that was 6 weeks out initially to the next available.

Interestingly enough, the car is quieter on the highway with the tint—I think it helps reduce some of the sound bouncing / reflecting properties. I bet a sunshade would help that even more so.
What did that run you ? I just got the LLumar IRX on the entire car. 50% on the windshield , 20% on the front windows to match the stock tint and I asked them to do the rear windows and rear windshield as well for the heat reduction. They did 80% on those windows that were already factory “tinted”. I’m a little upset though because the installer messed up the windshield and I am so far from this tint place I almost don’t want to go back

What did that run you ? I just got the LLumar IRX on the entire car. 50% on the windshield , 20% on the front windows to match the stock tint and I asked them to do the rear windows and rear windshield as well for the heat reduction. They did 80% on those windows that were already factory “tinted”. I’m a little upset though because the installer messed up the windshield and I am so far from this tint place I almost don’t want to go back
For stratos on all windows and windshield …. $949 OTD. 🥺🤯

Having used this film on another car, I know it stands apart from lower tiered films and I won’t use anything else now.

The windshield was nearly 1/2 the cost but will be 100% worth it in terms of comfort. I also appreciate with 50-70% windshield tint, I don’t need sunglasses anymore while driving which adds to the comfort as well. The 70% is blueish (like a Mercedes windshield) and 50 is gray/charcoal color. The 70 was great but I’m really excited about the 50. He didn’t have enough 50 film to go around so he put 40 in the back which is a tad dark for me but adds some extra heat rejection and privacy.

For stratos on all windows and windshield …. $949 OTD. 🥺🤯

Having used this film on another car, I know it stands apart from lower tiered films and I won’t use anything else now.

The windshield was nearly 1/2 the cost but will be 100% worth it in terms of comfort. I also appreciate with 50-70% windshield tint, I don’t need sunglasses anymore while driving which adds to the comfort as well. The 70% is blueish (like a Mercedes windshield) and 50 is gray/charcoal color. The 70 was great but I’m really excited about the 50. He didn’t have enough 50 film to go around so he put 40 in the back which is a tad dark for me but adds some extra heat rejection and privacy.
Don’t feel bad. I paid 975$ and he messed up my windshield. Is that film considered better than LLumar also? He was trying to convince me it was a reasonable price. I gotta post a photo of the large squeegee dent he put

Don’t feel bad. I paid 975$ and he messed up my windshield. Is that film considered better than LLumar also? He was trying to convince me it was a reasonable price. I gotta post a photo of the large squeegee dent he put
I found a spec of dirt in the lower field of vision of the driver side in the windshield. I’m considering having it fixed if possible but the rest of the work is great. The small spec may not be noticeable other than when cleaning the window as driving it may be less distracting.

Stratos is the top tier llumar film. I am digging the 50% look when I was out in the driveway this morning inspecting the work done. It feels warm and cozy inside.

3m is good stuff. I’ve read 3m is more brown as opposed to Llumar which is more charcoal in color. My wife has some sort of 3m tint. Works good but not as good as the Stratos in terms of IR heat rejection.
@Madsen203 There are different grades, at least four, of 3M tint. #M Ceramic IR is more charcoal than brown, while 3m Crystalline (top end, like Stratos, is more brown, for example. Many chose 3M color Stable (lower end of the brand).