Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

3mm tyre depth at 18K miles - suggestions?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Had my two year 'service' yesterday. £205 all in and £70 Uber credit instead of a courtesy car for the 5 hours it took them. Seems to be standard at Newcastle now.

The only thing they picked up on was that the minimum tyre tread depth they measured was 3mm and they recommended I get new tyres within a few months.

Firstly, is that typical for a car that's only done 18K miles so far or am I not being too Hamilton-esque with my tyre management?

Secondly, the SC quoted me £250 a tyre if they do it. That seemed pretty steep. What are my options if I don't go with the service centre?

TIA

Had my two year 'service' yesterday. £205 all in and £70 Uber credit instead of a courtesy car for the 5 hours it took them. Seems to be standard at Newcastle now.

The only thing they picked up on was that the minimum tyre tread depth they measured was 3mm and they recommended I get new tyres within a few months.

Firstly, is that typical for a car that's only done 18K miles so far or am I not being too Hamilton-esque with my tyre management?

Secondly, the SC quoted me £250 a tyre if they do it. That seemed pretty steep. What are my options if I don't go with the service centre?

TIA
Tyres only tend to last me about 20k miles so seems reasonable.
What was actually covered in the service apart from pollen filter and possibly brake fluid change?

Have a look at Costco tyres or blackcircles

cheers for that. I'll check them out.

What you've mentioned was pretty much it. They also grease some balls around the front end (!) which is a standard thing they're doing on any cars that come in. I forget the details.

They were going to charge me £50 for replacing the wipers but the guy who checked me in removed that. i should think so too!

as for your mileage @94jdh that's very impressive if you're not wearing them right through. I'll get a second opinion from someone local I trust.

Reactions: 94jdh
Black Circles recommended here.
For a performance car like a Tesla M3 I'd be unhappy to have less than 3mm tread as winter approaches.
When I need to replace the tyres I will consider Michelin Crossclimate tyres, perfect for UK use, but would wear rapidly in a south Europe summer.

15,000 miles in a poverty class SR+ and the rears were looking very close to penalty points but worn evenly.
Blackcircles supplied a couple of Michelin Primacy 4's for £264 all in. B for rolling resistance and A for wet grip.

Originals were £200 each with the strip of foam that looks cheaper than packing material in a package.

No difference to noise levels and if you compare the spec on Blackcircles, the originals have the same noise levels.

Black Circles recommended here.
For a performance car like a Tesla M3 I'd be unhappy to have less than 3mm tread as winter approaches.
When I need to replace the tyres I will consider Michelin Crossclimate tyres, perfect for UK use, but would wear rapidly in a south Europe summer.
I went with e-primacy. Pretty sure they have improved my efficiency but I have no hard data to back that up

20K miles in a LR, tyres sound to be at about the same as yours. It does seem to be rather quicker than some other cars, but I guess it all comes down to the construction of the tyre. That never seems to be part of the description of new tyres.

Anyone ever had an issue with insurers if choosing tyres that aren't 'approved' by Tesla?

Here's what that bought me...

1632401149433.png

of course add VAT to that

Reactions: UrbanSplash
Kwik Fit do 4 x Michelin Primacy 4 fitted on your driveway for £600 all in. Black circles can't do that in our area. I'd have to go to one of their fitting centres and pay £643.

Any reason not to book with Kwik Fit?

Kwik Fit do 4 x Michelin Primacy 4 fitted on your driveway for £600 all in. Black circles can't do that in our area. I'd have to go to one of their fitting centres and pay £643.

Any reason not to book with Kwik Fit?
if the price is right then I'm sure they are fine. just make sure they have worked on M3's before and know about the Jack pads and how to use them.
There are a lot of M3's around now but not many have had tyres yet so not all garages know about them Garage I went to had never worked on a model 3 before so I had to explain it all and lend them my jack pads.
As far as I could tell the they did everything right , I was watching, but next morning the handbrake had seized on one side and car had to be trailered to a service centre. no idea if they caused it but its a bit of a co-incidence. Fixed under warrantee so Tesla did not think it was mistreated. probably co-incidence who knows?

Mine lasted 20K on a 2018 LR RWD. I rotated the originals every 5K. Replaced OEMs with Michelin CrossClimates. The CrossClimates measured 10/32 when new. After 10K on the new tires, both front and rear measure 9/32. Very happy with this result.

I’m going to suggest that you will all get better mileage performance out of your second set of tires. In the US, manufacturers are notorious for fitting junk tires on new cars. My tundra came with bridgestone M/S. They lasted a grand total of 22k miles. This is a truck that isn’t driven like a rece care. Replaced with Goodyear…. Have 40k on them and they’ll still be fine for the coming winter. Same for our Highlander. Came with something like continentals I think. Gone in 25k miles. Replaced with Michelin Defender…. Running at 68k miles. If I don’t get MY before the snow flies they’all come off for the blizzak snows but they‘ll go back on for the springs for I’d guess another 5k - 7k miles. Great tire BTW.