Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

3rd A/C failure

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So I've posted on here a number of times, and I will say that thus far my fix seems to be working (knock on wood), as I've had the car back for almost 2 weeks and thus far my AC works (though I admit my driving is much less than normal as I'm still working from home). Fingers crossed. I posted the service invoice from the work earlier in this thread, including details of parts replaced (refrigerant, washers, super manifold).

Reactions: CyberGus
Update: 20 August 2020 (Day 1)

Took it in Yesterday Late around 2pm and then later at 9:14pm I got the email that the Super Manifold ASY was ordered. Part 1547595-00-C, will keep you all up to date on this repair. At least they went right to the actual part. The rep also mentioned while I was there that there is a known TSB on this.

Note: that this Service Center Kearny Mesa in San Diego was packed tight with cars inside. I’m sure with different issues but who knows. I’m suppose to get an update later around noon. Work in progress.

Fred

Update: 21 August 2020 (Day 2)

Got a call, car is done and ready for pick up. All within 24 hours.

Verified customer concern. Diagnosed and Performed Thermal System Test. Replaced High Pressure Pressure Sensor. After repair, Verified Proper Operation.

Sensor - pressure & temp (removed/replaced)
Super manifold (removed/replaced)
Retrofit A/C compressor Acoustic blanket

Fred

• Love
Reactions: KMMM
Update: 22 August 2020 (Day 3)

Picked up the model Y this morning, around 9am, already 80 degrees and about 10 seconds after turning on the A/C, it was cold air. 80 degrees is nothing for a good test. The Y sat outside over night so it was very dusty because the service center is close to the freeway. There were no scuff marks or scratches at all, they took excellent care of their cars. And the service here is AAA+. I’ve taken the M3 here to have the Homelink installed and my Service Tech was Marc both times. He is Super cool and always keeps in touch with you.

Less then 24 hours to get the parts in, installed and test is amazing compared to the stories you read above. 30 day wait for one member here.

One thing that benefits us here in San Diego is that we have 3 service centers, Kearny Mesa, MiraMar and Carlsbad so the parts that were needed which was the Super Manifold and the High Pressure sensor and A/C compressor acoustics blanket came from one of the other Service Centers and this is why it took less then 24 hour turn around.

Tomorrow we will take a 3 hour ride to Yermo California @ 70 mph, this is where temps are over 100 degrees, should be more like 106 degrees when we get there. We will have a tail wind about 5 to 6 knots heading northeast so I expect a little better wh/mi but it is up hill most of the ride. Will visit Eddie World while at the Superchargerr there.

Will report then with the stats and A/C report.

Fred

Last edited:
Reactions: DanDi58
UTomorrow we will take a 3 hour ride to Yermo California @ 70 mph, this is where temps are over 100 degrees, should be more like 106 degrees when we get there. We will have a tail wind about 5 to 6 knots heading northeast so I expect a little better wh/mi but it is up hill most of the ride. Will visit Eddie World while at the Superchargerr there.
Have fun at Eddie World. This was the first supercharger I visited on a road trip (did test at the Qualcomm one for a few minutes just to be sure everything worked).

Indeed energy usage from SD to Yermo will be very significantly higher compared to the return.

Update: 21 August 2020 (Day 2)

Got a call, car is done and ready for pick up. All within 24 hours.

Verified customer concern. Diagnosed and Performed Thermal System Test. Replaced High Pressure Pressure Sensor. After repair, Verified Proper Operation.

Sensor - pressure & temp (removed/replaced)
Super manifold (removed/replaced)
Retrofit A/C compressor Acoustic blanket

Fred

Well my A/C issues are finally resolved. Thank you new Super manifold!! My Y took 3 visits and about 27 days total of service. Apparently the challenging part in my case was my car wasn’t giving the same type of fault codes and pressure discrepancies as others. During the process they charged the A/C and replaced the radiator as well.
Regardless, I’m back in business. From my perspective, these issues are still first world problems and the drive of the Y is still worth the patience. Thanks everyone for sharing your experiences!! It was very helpful when communicating with my service center.

Heading to Barstow Ca to charge because Yermo’s Superchargers are temporary down. Barstow should be over 100 degrees when I get there at 1pm, cabin Temperature is maintaining at 70 degrees, that’s where I have it set. Temps leaving San Diego is currently 82 degrees. Auto Pilot all the way at 70mph. Here is a picture of my setup, IPad Air 2 with cellular with ABRP premium which gives live stats and wind & weather. It’s shows arriving at Barstow with 29%. On the center console display I have Tesla Waze up.

49 miles into it 282 wh/mi and Tesla Nav has me arriving at 26% so far, still calibrating due to speed changes.

AA42F69A-3BEC-4C59-84FC-32423B7CABB8.jpeg

• Informative
Reactions: alexcue and RayB
Made it to Yermo Ca, Superchargers are up but I had to move 3 times to get one that wasn’t throttling up and down, Moblie Ranger still there working on them. 141kw and now down to 91kw, nice cold rag on the nozzle to keep it cool. Currently 103 degrees, had to drop the A/C down to 72 degrees as it got super cold.

A/C off while Superchargering and cabin temps is 118F right about now.

Fred

I’m super frustrated. I picked up my model Y in March. My air conditioning broke soon after. After the nightmare of trying to get someone at Tesla on the phone and a super rude person on their chat, I finally called the roadside assistance number and got ahold of a real person. She was super nice and very helpful and arranged for Service quicker than the 10 days the app scheduled me for. Service said there was some sort of known issue and that they were waiting for a firmware update but they didn’t have details on when. But they assured me that doing a hard reset on the car fixed the issue (even though I tried that 3 times before service). So I went to pick the car back up a few days later and when I got in the car, it still didn’t work. I refused to take the car home to wait for the fix since it’s over 100 degrees in Phoenix and I left the car and said I’d pick it up only after the air conditioner worked. A couple days later they said they got the firmware update and it was good to go. Now, it’s a month or so later and it’s broken again. Hard reset, no effect.

Plus I’ve had other annoyances. One of the windows occasionally won’t auto roll up or down, you have to hold the button (they couldn’t find an issue). I’ve had the window not roll down when opening the door causing the window to get stuck on the gasket (probably what’s causing the auto roll issue to happen). There’s defects under the paint where you can tell they painted over something. I love the technology but after paying $75k I’m disappointed for sure. Especially with trying to get customer service when you need it.

I’ve seen other people with model 3’s with a/c failures. Am I the only one with a Y doing the same thing?

Yeah... that was by chance. When you open the vehicle settings and click software the vehicle calls home to check for updates and hey! there was an update. There is no way to force an update to come to your car, even Tesla doesn't like to reach out and do this, it's all run by the mothership (servers). Glad you got the update and everything is good to go.

If you have problems again, windows or A/C, press the microphone button or press/hold the right steering wheel button and say "Bug report windows are acting up again" or whatever but say "Bug report" then the problem. That time stamps the issue and saves it to your car for about 5-10 days. Then reach out to Tesla and they'll be able to see exactly what you're talking about. The faults in the car only stick around for about 5-10 days because being wiped and Tesla only knows about stuff when you reach out via the app or chat.

The new heat pump in the Y seems to have some serious issues handling high temperatures as found in Florida, Arizona and Texas. My Y has had a/c issues all summer...I'm in AZ. Seems to me that the new heat pump was not thoroughly tested and Tesla is trying to rework the design of the system to be able to function in hot climates. NOT GOOD!

The new heat pump in the Y seems to have some serious issues handling high temperatures as found in Florida, Arizona and Texas. My Y has had a/c issues all summer...I'm in AZ. Seems to me that the new heat pump was not thoroughly tested and Tesla is trying to rework the design of the system to be able to function in hot climates. NOT GOOD!