Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

3rd party Charging adaptor

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi all,
Im a new Model 3 owner and i absolutely frickin love it.
In the charging bag that was given to me that contains the home charging cable, came an adaptor for 3rd party chargers. I asked the lady that delivered the car to me about where to put this adaptor in my car. She said i can store it anywhere. That pretty much didnt help me, so im asking you guys where/how is the best place to store this adaptor in the car.

Thank you

Reactions: Transformer
I used to keep mine in the frunk with the charging cable as I wasn't using either often. Now that I use the charging cable daily it is in the trunk. I think I have used the adapter twice. The first time was just to see how fast a charger was in case I ever needed it. The other time there was a convenient charger and I figured why not after trying to get it to start charging for 10 minutes I gave up.

If I was going to use it often I would put it where it was easy to get to and not in my way. Door pocket, center console or trunk would be likely.

I keep the J1772 in the center console.

I keep the rest of my adaptors in the underfloor of my trunk. I bought a Gen 1 UMC that supports 40A and a bunch of NEMA 14-50 to other plug adapters. That way I can stop at any RV park, welder shop, hot tub or dryer plug and charge quickly.

Glad you like your new Tesla :D
In the charging bag that was given to me that contains the home charging cable, came an adaptor for 3rd party chargers. I asked the lady that delivered the car to me about where to put this adaptor in my car. She said i can store it anywhere
You did not say how you charged your car, at home, at work, at public chargers or Tesla Superchargers. So I think her answer was pretty reasonable. Store it wherever you find convenient. You may not use the J1772 adaptor very much at all. I never use mine. I keep all the adaptors in the charging cable bag in the compartment under the floor of the trunk. I have the good fortune to have installed Tesla wall chargers at my house so I keep the charging cable in the bag as well, don’t need it at home.

I use one of these 3D-printed center console trays:
7852327f20fec3927b19684f8fdc0fcf_preview_featured.jpg

Tesla Model 3 Center Console Tray w/ J1772 Adapter Slot + card slot (no coin slot) by jbyeung

It's an odd shape, but I wrapped part of it in felt and added a barrier to the "L"-shaped bit, so I have five compartments: One custom-fitted for the J1772 adapter, one big one for my sunglasses, a small one for miscellaneous bits and bobs, and a tiny one (upper right) for charging station cards (stored on edge). The felt mainly covers the sunglasses section, so as not to scratch them.

• Informative
Reactions: Transformer
J1772 adapter is in drivers door pocket for me for frequent use. I use it daily for work and home charging. I had a J1772 at home for older EVs before getting a Tesla. I rarely use my Tesla mobile connector.