Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

3rd party charging network

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Sorry if this has already been discussed but are there any 3rd party charging networks worth signing up for? So for example, I saw BP Pulse has a monthly subscription but some charging points are free to use (for members) so I was thinking if there was one close to me, the money spent on the subscription would easily be covered by the free charging. I had a look at their map and there is one not too far away I could use.

Are there any other networks you would recommend looking into?

Do you have home charging?

BP Pulse are perhaps the worst network these days, unreliable and expensive at the same time. All the decent networks will take card payment, so why not try them out and look into any other options if they are something you think you will use regularly.

I would suggest that the vast majority of Tesla owners with home chargers don't use much other than SuperChargers when on trips.

It's very dependant on your usage pattern & how often you would need to use them. If you have a home charger, you may not need to use public chargers much at all. I very rarely drive more than the ~200 mile range of my current ID.3 between home charges, so have used public chargers maybe 3 or 4 times in the past 15 months.

If you do a lot of long journeys it's best to look at which chargers are available on your most regular routes & figure out if you're likely to use the chargers enough to warrant a monthly fee.

Reactions: NSS89
Thanks both. I will have a home charger installed so will be using that.

This was more me looking for cheap/free ways to charge lol but I did think it was too good to be true! I was actually surprised when I came across the BP Pulse thing which then made me think, do others offer the same kind of thing.

I’ve had a Tesla for just under 2 years. I’ve used a few public chargers. I wouldn’t bother getting any subscription if you have home charging. I wouldn’t even get an RFID card.

I’d download two apps : PodPoint and ChargePoint. The former comes in handy. The latter is a good backup and can add an RFID to Apple Wallet. If you go to Scotland get the Charge Place Scotland card. Other than that don’t bother, use a Supercharger.

I’ve had a Tesla for just under 2 years. I’ve used a few public chargers. I wouldn’t bother getting any subscription if you have home charging. I wouldn’t even get an RFID card.

I’d download two apps : PodPoint and ChargePoint. The former comes in handy. The latter is a good backup and can add an RFID to Apple Wallet. If you go to Scotland get the Charge Place Scotland card. Other than that don’t bother, use a Supercharger.

A significant portion of the first year of ownership we were transient with our car - not at home. I signed up for probably half a dozen charging networks, so that I would have an account and the app if I ever needed it.

I used the ChargePoint app to activate possibly two free chargers in parking garages and that's it for my use of charging network subscriptions. Otherwise I use home charging, my mobile connector, Supercharging, or chargers that require no activation.

I charge at work off a 3 pin plug and at home off a Tesla home charger. In 3000 miles and nearly 3 months I’ve only managed one charge off a 3rd party charger. That are all pants, complicated and out of service or just won’t charge! I now actively avoid them

Reactions: 26ct2143
PodPoint - useful when on holiday in UK - quite a few holiday parks have them, plus Supermarkets. Top up car at holiday park when you first get there or prior to daytrips. Often not in a rush on holiday, just don't overstay car park limits, Use Supermarket parking to do a leisurely shop, meal or explore town sights/market. You won't add much (probably 7.4kw) - but 10% of battery in an hour might be useful. Holiday parks - overnight / day full charge

PodPoint needs app, mobile phone coverage (all that I've used) OR on one occasion I got it working on the car's browser when my mobile network didn't have coverage. I did get stuck on one podpoint when cable wouldn't release (eventually combination of phoning them, locking, unlocking worked - I could probably have tried the manual release on inside of boot - but didn't).

Last edited:
I've used lots of networks with our non-Tesla EV. I have found the InstaVolt chargers easy and reliable with the Tesla when we've been staying in places where there aren't many chargers around. You can start and stop these with a bank card using contactless, but they are pricey and cost is going up to 50p/kWh next week. They do have an app, which offers a £5 introductory discount with a referral (DM me if you'd like one) - this can have a free RFID card linked to it, so you charge on your InstaVolt account, which does give a small discount on charging, well points which become a credit over time.

We had a subscription with BP Pulse (was Polar) for nearly five years. We gave it up as they become totally unreliable.

Thanks for the tips guys, If my MY Performance arrives before we move house I'll be charging on the go, mainly Superchargers but inevitably will be using the local LIDL and the Gridserve network. I was also keen on the BP pricing but think I'll try one as a guest before giving them my subscription. Anyone tried the app Called Bonnet - as seen on Fully Charged, don't seem to have many providers signed up yet but I noticed a big discount down to 25p pKW for likes of Shell recharge, which I have one nearby. Keep the feedback coming guys really appreciated.

Thanks for the tips guys, If my MY Performance arrives before we move house I'll be charging on the go, mainly Superchargers but inevitably will be using the local LIDL and the Gridserve network. I was also keen on the BP pricing but think I'll try one as a guest before giving them my subscription. Anyone tried the app Called Bonnet - as seen on Fully Charged, don't seem to have many providers signed up yet but I noticed a big discount down to 25p pKW for likes of Shell recharge, which I have one nearby. Keep the feedback coming guys really appreciated.
They seem to be a good option for regular Shell recharge users where you can prebuy kWh to reduce the costs.

£15 per month for 50 kWh, 30 p/kwh
£50 per month for 200 kWh, 25 p/kWh

These prices are lower than the Shell recharge prices so definitely worth a go. I have included my referral code, which will get you £15 off, so 50 kWh for free.

Bonnet - EV Charging Made Easy
Download Bonnet to discover how easy it can be to find a place to charge your electric car in the city 🏎. Register with this code to get £15 off your first upfront payment.

Your code: RPG5P

Remember to thank your friend! 🥸

They seem to be a good option for regular Shell recharge users where you can prebuy kWh to reduce the costs.

£15 per month for 50 kWh, 30 p/kwh
£50 per month for 200 kWh, 25 p/kWh

These prices are lower than the Shell recharge prices so definitely worth a go. I have included my referral code, which will get you £15 off, so 50 kWh for free.

Bonnet - EV Charging Made Easy
Download Bonnet to discover how easy it can be to find a place to charge your electric car in the city 🏎. Register with this code to get £15 off your first upfront payment.

Your code: RPG5P

Remember to thank your friend! 🥸
Thanks, code : FULLYCHARGED will also get you a free charge session

Model Y Q2 2023. On longish runs in the UK and touring in France this year, we have not sought out third party charging networks because: a) It has not been difficult or inconvenient to find and use Tesla Superchargers. 2) Because one hears ( from non Tesla EV owners) that many of them are pants.
And finally 3) Because, somewhere in the back of my mind, I thought that I would need an adaptor.

So, a question please: Can we charge our Tesla's at any (functioning) third party chargers without needing an adaptor?

Model Y Q2 2023. On longish runs in the UK and touring in France this year, we have not sought out third party charging networks because: a) It has not been difficult or inconvenient to find and use Tesla Superchargers. 2) Because one hears ( from non Tesla EV owners) that many of them are pants.
And finally 3) Because, somewhere in the back of my mind, I thought that I would need an adaptor.

So, a question please: Can we charge our Tesla's at any (functioning) third party chargers without needing an adaptor?
Absolutely. Everywhere in Europe on Type 2 or CCS Combo chargers. But for rapid charges on motorway, Tesla network will most likely be the cheapest option.

The only 'adapter' that might come in handy is a no-fees abroad credit card so you don't get charged 3% non-Sterling when using both Superchargers and regular chargers abroad.

Personally the card I've found most useful is Electric Universe from Octopus. They partner with the widest range of chargers across the UK and Europe, are quite competitive, plus you get discounts and are charged directly from your utilities account if you're an IO customer already. Brilliant

Last edited: