Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

3rd Party HEPA Filter

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My understanding is that this is only the filter. Tessa sells the whe assembly, including the plastic housing. If you have PUP, then software should all be the same. If you don't have PUP, I am guessing it still works but you just can't force air thru the help filter, biodefe we mode? The title said for model X only.

I wonder how this would work as a replacement of an existing HEPA filter in an S or X? How does the $79 eBay price compare to the cost of buying just the HEPA filter from Tesla?
here's a hint - Lexus will snap in & out, a new 'Lexus' cabin air filter for $100. Buy 1 on eBay, do it yourself, & the whole job takes less than 45 seconds - whereas it takes you that long just to get out of the house to head to the lexus stealership service Bay.
(EDIT)
I see the ebay seller only has just over a dozen prior transactions - none of which are recent enough to be one of these filters, necessarily. Ie - you go 1st & let us know if it works out.
;)

Last edited:
Reactions: boaterva
I got the filter option added on later from Tesla. Its just a filter and a tech plugging in a laptop to enable bio defense mode.

Bio defense mode is preconfigured high speed fan settings.

All the ducting is already in place.

This is an all margin move for Tesla other than their is a basic cost just to take your car in so maybe this is why they don't offer it anymore. :(

• Informative
Reactions: Wufei and FlyF4
MXWing,
Thank you so much for the info. I was not sure what BioDefense does exactly. If it is just HiSpeed fan, then activation BioDefense is even more difficult from the user interface perspective than using the scroll wheel to turn the fan on hi. You won't even have to take your eyes off the road. So what they advertised in the last picture is legit. I ordered 3 but I don't have the PUP and was a bit nervous about that. Your answer helps a lot.
Thankyou

i did this on my non-PUP a month or so ago - ordered from the same guy in the link posted above. sorry, no video but the removal of the frunk bin and tub is pretty easy, just a little time-consuming to remove 20 hex bolts holding the bin. pretty easy, and I'm not all that handy. the guy sends you pretty detailed instructions anyway and there are at least one other thread around here that explains how to remove the frunk bin and tub.

before
20170812_154709.jpg

after

20170812_155310.jpg

whoever finally gets around to producing a youtube video of the removal/install process is going to be getting a lot of hits.
It's really, really easy. There is nothing that can break accidentally. The four plastic trim pieces (back, two sides, front in that order) just lift off. Then the rubber weather seal lifts off. Then unplug the two lights. Then the frunk liner lifts off. Then 20 hex bolts (get a 10mm socket wrench or a crescent wrench). Then lift the tub out. Shove the filter in. Then go in reverse to put it all back together.

There's more detail in this thread, but no need to over think it.

Frunk tub removal

• Helpful
  • Informative
Reactions: FlyF4 and TaoJones
I'm puzzled how this hasn't come up before, but anyone considering this filter or one like it needs to realize that Bioweapon equipped cars use a series of three filters, and this appears to be only the first of them. It'll filter out the dust and large particles, but the smells will come right through.

i did this on my non-PUP a month or so ago - ordered from the same guy in the link posted above. sorry, no video but the removal of the frunk bin and tub is pretty easy, just a little time-consuming to remove 20 hex bolts holding the bin. pretty easy, and I'm not all that handy. the guy sends you pretty detailed instructions anyway and there are at least one other thread around here that explains how to remove the frunk bin and tub.

before
View attachment 250356

after

View attachment 250357
Ordered one off the eBay link at the top of the thread. Will install and report back.

Reactions: nikeykid
I'm puzzled how this hasn't come up before, but anyone considering this filter or one like it needs to realize that Bioweapon equipped cars use a series of three filters, and this appears to be only the first of them. It'll filter out the dust and large particles, but the smells will come right through.
3 filters? I thought there were only 2, as shown by Elon during the Model-X reveal. The other filter is standard on all Model-X. So, it's my understand that BioWeapon Defence Mode (BDM) only requires this large filter and a software update.

With regards to the software update, it's simply a single button that turns the fans on high. You can do that manually without the software update.

I do have BDM, so I'm going by what I've read rather than personal experience.

3 filters? I thought there were only 2, as shown by Elon during the Model-X reveal. The other filter is standard on all Model-X. So, it's my understand that BioWeapon Defence Mode (BDM) only requires this large filter and a software update.

With regards to the software update, it's simply a single button that turns the fans on high. You can do that manually without the software update.

I do have BDM, so I'm going by what I've read rather than personal experience.

Three. The big one is hospital grade HEPA. The other two are both activated carbon - one set up to grab acidic, the other to grab basic.

I have read discussion (speculation?) that the other two are packaged as a single unit, with one filter on one side of the carrier media and the other on the opposite side of the same carrier.

Do you have a source for the belief that all Xs have the same carbon filters?

I would have expected that filters optimized for BDM would choke up with dust very quickly without the HEPA in front, while filters designed not to have that would be inefficient in a Bioweapon car.

Saghost and Vandacca and all,
Thank you much for sharing the info.

I am still not clear where the 3rd filter is in the Bio_D filter system. Let me count them out loud. The first being the standard cabin filter that all cars have. No PUP required. By the way, anyone knows where this one is?

The 2nd is this 3rd party filter we are talking about here in this thread that Nikeykid shared the pictures. Thank Nikeykid. The 3rd one is the active carbon that Saghost mentioned. I remember on the Tesla website, the $375 one shows the carbon filter attached to the HEPA filter. So that is 2 together if you want to count them separately. What is the 3rd one then, Saghost? You can't count the standard cabin filter right because it is not part of the Bio_D System in the PUP. That said, I think there are only 2 filters for BioD. So with or without the Carbon filter is the diff between $79 on eBay and $375 by Tesla, right?

Would very much love to know if anyone knows the location and how to get to the standard cabin filter on model X.

Thank you