Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

3rd party install RFS (Rear Facing Seats)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Perhaps I'm not the first, but perhaps I am.
Confirmed that I will be adding the RFS to my Model S while its in repair from an accident.

My question, has anyone else used a certified Tesla repair center to retrofit the RFS in a Model S? I'll be doing this to the tune of $3,257.39. Very low labor charge due to the car being apart and a simplish install process

Brooks Motor Cars of Fremont (and Oakland) got the kit price from Tesla service, inclusive of:
- Center console seat tracks
- Inner quarter panel switch and trim (for passenger trunk release)
- Rear bumper reinforcement ($125 part, this should be an option regardless to add)
- Various bezels, nuts, bolts, & covers

Screen Shot 2017-01-26 at 10.06.52 AM.png
Screen Shot 2017-01-26 at 10.07.04 AM.png

Nope, this is a certified repair shop in Fremont (with body center work facility in Oakland using Tesla's Alignment jigs for disassembly, welding, and checking to factory specs). As I noted, Elon himself brings his cars there. Also, the factory takes vehicles for example damaged during shipping to repair cosmetics. I'm what was called a "tow-in"; a one off non-customized repair job. Along with being a certified Tesla repair center, they work on exotic customs and some competition racers.

If Tesla the company trusts them and is willing to allow the sale and install, I have no reason to question it.

But yeah, based on the BOM, I wouldn't want just anyone doing this, although in truth, it's not a difficult retrofit at all.

Reactions: Max*
yeah I guess so. Didn't ask the factory for a quote or schedule knowing how long service appointments can be for elective surgery.

So full reconstructive surgery. All new front end body panels and hood, new bumper cover and nose cone; a little butt work on the rear end, replace the right hip; a butt tuck and Botox to stiffen her bum a bit. so let's pack some junk in the trunk. Effectively except for the glass and doors, almost all new around the outside, good bye charging cable hood scratches too.

And hey, $750 cheaper is something isn't it?

Thanks for posting all this. Don't have rear jump seats, but have been thinking that if I ever take my rear bumper cover off, I was going to upgrade to the higher strength /higher dissipation bumper in this kit. Good to know the part number and price...

My Model S
-2013 P85; serial 10,xxx
- install completed and car was returned to me on 3/10
- no issues at all, back of seat latch hooks are flush with the seat back. I expected to see a plastic surround or other there; but it's basically a neatly cut square in the carpet to expose the hooks.but really it's fine. I'm going to ask the SC if there's a surround for it

IMG_0118.JPG

Note in the images:
- reinforced bumper, the light gray part $125, the black bumper, mounted on the new rear body panel
IMG_0112.JPG
IMG_0113.JPG
IMG_0114.JPG
IMG_0120.JPG
IMG_0116.JPG

FWIW an extra data point, I had my Tesla SC retrofit our RFS shortly after I took delivery of our CPO in 2016. Total cost was $3150, and this was before they increased the RFS price from $3k to $4k for new orders. My car actually already had the bumper reinforcement, which saved them from having to install it (and me from having to pay more).

Edit: Breakdown was $362 for labor (@ $125/hr in Denver), $2587 for parts, and $198 sales tax.

Reactions: seclinton
Looks like Tesla isn't doing retrofits anymore. Anyone know if we can still get he hardware nuts, bolts, bezels, etc? I am transferring these seats to my new 2014 P85+ i picked up 6 months ago

(yeah totalled the previous P85, so sad)

There is a video on YouTube of RichRebuilds that shows what's needed. It doesn't look very hard at all. I think you can buy the parts thru a bodyshop, have them order from Tesla. I don't think they will sell direct, but you can always try your local service center first. Maybe the bodyshop that did your retrofit the first time? Even though Tesla might not be offering the service, I'm pretty sure they still have the parts to sell.

I looked into doing this when I was looking for a car, but ended up locating one with the rear facing seats included.

There is a video on YouTube of RichRebuilds that shows what's needed. It doesn't look very hard at all. I think you can buy the parts thru a bodyshop, have them order from Tesla. I don't think they will sell direct, but you can always try your local service center first. Maybe the bodyshop that did your retrofit the first time? Even though Tesla might not be offering the service, I'm pretty sure they still have the parts to sell.

I looked into doing this when I was looking for a car, but ended up locating one with the rear facing seats included.

Yeah I’ve seen the videos. It’s an easy install really. Just my P85+ is one of those rare cars with reduced wiring harness (think no spare connector behind the mic screen in the roof liner)

I have the seats, pending the bumper reinforcement, and need a few bits and bolts literally and it’s a done job.