Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

3rd Party interface for MCU2 to Analogue AM/FM/XM Radio

Do you want Tesla to restore radio functionality for MCU 2 Upgrades

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I’ve been watching and waiting for a solution to the deprecation of AM/FM/XM radio that results when upgrading MCU1 to MCU2. So far, I’ve been disappointed that Tesla has not provided a migration solution. Further, I have seen several threads where individuals have developed and installed MCU2 adapter cables for a few self-help pioneers who have also secured and replaced the legacy analog radio with the Tesla digital radio that IS compatible with MCU2. But apparently, even with this, Tesla will not enable the software to use the radio. This is very unfortunate.

Automotive radio is important not only for entertainment, but also for critical public safety communications. In particular, the dissemination of local, regional and national emergency and related weather information cannot be reliably achieved during hurricanes and other disasters. Usually, there’s no internet and very sketchy (if any) wireless tower coverage in these cases. The use case for XM satellite radio is particularly important when local stations have been destroyed through natural disasters such as occurs in hurricanes and floods.

if Tesla is not going to address this, and if the FCC and other regulatory bodies don’t care, then we should find a solution for the Tesla community that doesn’t require hauling around a portable external radio set or external radio “adaptor kludge.” In the least, Tesla should support us with technical information in this endeavor because of these public safety concerns affecting their customers.

Is there not a way that a cost effective active electronic “translator box” could be developed by a third party that would allow the MCU2 to control the legacy analog radio ? If this could be done, then perhaps it wouldn’t require Tesla to enable a software configuration ? Maybe there would even be a way to continue to support the AM radio as ‘extended FM’ channels ? We have some very bright and capable engineers in this community. What do you say ?

I’m sorry Tesla fans, but in my opinion, this whole radio disablement issue needs to be addressed one way or another. It will most assuredly weigh in my future EV product decisions.

The monster thread on the upgrade has details that the gateway configuration (I believe) needs to be updated to use the digital tuner (even if installed) and toolkit (or root) access is needed for that. Not sure what anyone outside Tesla can do, if my recall is correct. I’d refer to that thread. I’ll see if I can add a link below.

Tesla confirms infotainment system upgradeability from MCU1 to MCU2 for $2500

• Informative
Reactions: Cowbell
honeslty most millenials use 3rd party music sources such as spotify / apple music which can be used via bluetooth, me personally dont mind am / fm being gone as i dont know many people who listen to the radio anyways

I haven’t seen any data on owners of Tesla Model S and X vehicles to know with certainty:

1) The generational distribution of owners
2) The preference and usage of radio vs streaming services of millennials, or other generations for that matter.

You are certainly entitled to your preference and based on that I understand why this issue does not matter to you.

I have a theory that it’s not just millennials that own Tesla’s and I think that having a radio matters a whole lot more than you may think, particularly in situations when and where streaming services are not available or working.

Reactions: Art VandeIay
I would NEVER buy a car that couldn't get Am and FM. Local news, weather, sports, etc. Also support local advertisers. I mostly listen to and support local NPR. IMHO, stupid decision to delete.
The monster thread on the upgrade has details that the gateway configuration (I believe) needs to be updated to use the digital tuner (even if installed) and toolkit (or root) access is needed for that. Not sure what anyone outside Tesla can do, if my recall is correct. I’d refer to that thread. I’ll see if I can add a link below.

Tesla confirms infotainment system upgradeability from MCU1 to MCU2 for $2500

I have read through this thread, but I don’t recall seeing that anyone successfully activated the replacement digital radio with the new MCU2 retrofit.

honeslty most millenials use 3rd party music sources such as spotify / apple music which can be used via bluetooth, me personally dont mind am / fm being gone as i dont know many people who listen to the radio anyways
And Most probably never ventured outside their city lives where data streaming don't exist. I have been in many such places visiting national parks, its not fun.

Reactions: ElectricTravel
Does the forthcoming lucid ev offer full service radio receivers.. I have delayed purchasing an x for my wife until am fm Xm radios are restored. Customer experience is important. Service and unfulfilled promises are weighing heavy. (Still waiting 3 years for FSU on my p100d).

I’ve been watching and waiting for a solution to the deprecation of AM/FM/XM radio that results when upgrading MCU1 to MCU2. So far, I’ve been disappointed that Tesla has not provided a migration solution. Further, I have seen several threads where individuals have developed and installed MCU2 adapter cables for a few self-help pioneers who have also secured and replaced the legacy analog radio with the Tesla digital radio that IS compatible with MCU2. But apparently, even with this, Tesla will not enable the software to use the radio. This is very unfortunate.

Automotive radio is important not only for entertainment, but also for critical public safety communications. In particular, the dissemination of local, regional and national emergency and related weather information cannot be reliably achieved during hurricanes and other disasters. Usually, there’s no internet and very sketchy (if any) wireless tower coverage in these cases. The use case for XM satellite radio is particularly important when local stations have been destroyed through natural disasters such as occurs in hurricanes and floods.

if Tesla is not going to address this, and if the FCC and other regulatory bodies don’t care, then we should find a solution for the Tesla community that doesn’t require hauling around a portable external radio set or external radio “adaptor kludge.” In the least, Tesla should support us with technical information in this endeavor because of these public safety concerns affecting their customers.

Is there not a way that a cost effective active electronic “translator box” could be developed by a third party that would allow the MCU2 to control the legacy analog radio ? If this could be done, then perhaps it wouldn’t require Tesla to enable a software configuration ? Maybe there would even be a way to continue to support the AM radio as ‘extended FM’ channels ? We have some very bright and capable engineers in this community. What do you say ?

I’m sorry Tesla fans, but in my opinion, this whole radio disablement issue needs to be addressed one way or another. It will most assuredly weigh in my future EV product decisions.

Here’s why streaming is not a complete solution to loss of AM/FM/XM radio:

Cell Site Outages Abound in Gulf as Laura Wreaks Havoc | Inside Towers

Reactions: MorrisonHiker
Tunein has a quite a few local radio stations, so it’s worth looking there first before writing off the MCU upgrade. Also, why not stream iheartradio from your phone?
Several of my local stations are not available on tunin. Streaming from a phone is clumsy. Extra device to hold (so illegal for under 18 in Texas) and cannot change stations from the steering wheel.

why could Tesla not simply make the tuner available?

I would NEVER buy a car that couldn't get Am and FM. Local news, weather, sports, etc. Also support local advertisers. I mostly listen to and support local NPR. IMHO, stupid decision to delete.

I agree with you completely. I found that many AM and FM stations are available on TuneIn. None of the iHeart stations are there but most of the other metro area stations seem to be there. The audio quality is not great. This is not an acceptable solution IMHO. I want the radio back..and SiriusXM as well.