Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

3rd party Model Y tow hitch

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi folks,

Placing my Model Y order. I need tow hitch for bike rack. $1,000 is very expensive for the one Tesla offers in the ordering process. Are there any 3rd party aftermarket Model Y tow hitches out there yet? I can't seem to find any. But maybe I'm not looking well.

Thanks,
-- Josh

If you search for other threads on this you'll find that there have been issues with tow mode software not being available to those who elect after market hitches. That said, nothing easy with Tesla either as they have glitches with their hitches as far as actually getting them to customers with ALL needed parts and properly installed. I waited 6 weeks only to have mobile service show up without the hitch. It was at SC 80 miles away as is their policy. I drove there to pick it up. Even if it was available it was missing needed additional parts (based on my serial #). They also do not provide brake controller pigtail plug which you have to special order also. For some reason included with the X but not the Y.
Since they insist on serial number before you can order anything, you'd think that would translate to sending the correct parts. Since they insist on ONLY sending hitches to SCs and NOT providing any shipping info to customer, then they would know it's not at the customers location. Bush league customer service stuff.

...nothing easy with Tesla either as they have glitches with their hitches as far as actually getting them to customers with ALL needed parts and properly installed...

Whoah. This sounds frustrating, sorry you had to deal with that. Also concerns me because my father just ordered a Model Y and opted not to get the tow hitch in his config, and I was thinking if he ends up wanting it (which I think he might later), it would be an easy upgrade (just having to pay a little extra). I assumed mobile service would just be able to show up with it and install it for him. From your experience, I might rethink my advice to him, just to make sure he doesn't have to deal with that hassle.

Whoah. This sounds frustrating, sorry you had to deal with that. Also concerns me because my father just ordered a Model Y and opted not to get the tow hitch in his config, and I was thinking if he ends up wanting it (which I think he might later), it would be an easy upgrade (just having to pay a little extra). I assumed mobile service would just be able to show up with it and install it for him. From your experience, I might rethink my advice to him, just to make sure he doesn't have to deal with that hassle.
Wouldn't worry too much on this as I'm sure they've matured by now. Mine was the first hitch the local guys had ever installed.

Reactions: unipuppy