Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

3rd Party Tire Rotation Tips?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Tesla cancelled my tire rotation appointment due to large appointment backlog. I’m going to go to a local tire shop that I trust. They say Teslas are not an issue. Is there anything special I have to tell them?

I know there’s something about the lugs being tightened to a 129 feet of torque. Is that something they should understand?
Do they need to use the jack pads?
Is it a typical tire rotation as far as the wheels being swapped from front to back on the opposite side?
Reset TPMS?

Is there anything else special about Tesla tire rotations?

Thanks for the help.

Nothing special at all except they need to know where to lift from and may require jack pads. No TPMS to play with or anything else. Even the worst place in North America will understand 129 ft/lbs. Tire rotation pattern will be determined by the tires if they are staggered, have a rotation, or just plain Jane. Tire shop will determine what is best for your application. Personally I prefer the X-pattern as this makes most sense to me not to mention it works with directional tires.

Reactions: NJEV-Don
Correct, 129 lb-ft of torque is the spec for the lug nuts. Any tire shop will know what this means.

I don't know if jack pads are 100% required (they are not mentioned in the owner's manual) if you are careful and know what you are doing, but they are cheap insurance to make sure that you are jacking the car in the correct spots and provide a margin of protection for the battery.

When Tesla rotates the tires on the Long Range Model Y, they rotate them front to back. On the Performance Model Y, they can only be swapped side to side (assuming you don't have directional tires) because the tires in the front are a different size than in the rear.

The TPMS sensors will automatically adjust to their new location when you drive.

Reactions: NJEV-Don
They just impact all the way and be done with it.
Just look them straight in the eye and say, "no ugga dugga tool," and they'll know you mean business. ;)

This is why I do things on my own.
Me too, but the upfront cost can be a little daunting.

The DIY home tire rotation kit
And for safety, you really should put a jack stand rated for 3-tons under the other jack point and have some wheel chocks.

Reactions: zazim and PNWLeccy