Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

3rd Party Wheels & Efficiency

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hey Peeps,

I’m new to the forum. I’m honestly new to Tesla overall. I’m going to be ordering a Model X. I’m wondering if I should opt for the 22” wheels or get my own set of 22” wheels.

My overall question is: How much do 3rd party wheel and tire packages affect the battery efficiency? I’m curious to know the experience of others who opted to go the 3rd party route.

Any and all insight is greatly appreciated.

Hey Peeps,

I’m new to the forum. I’m honestly new to Tesla overall. I’m going to be ordering a Model X. I’m wondering if I should opt for the 22” wheels or get my own set of 22” wheels.

My overall question is: How much do 3rd party wheel and tire packages affect the battery efficiency? I’m curious to know the experience of others who opted to go the 3rd party route.

Any and all insight is greatly appreciated.

The rim itself has very little to do with it. It's the size/profile of the tires and tire compound you choose.

If you run the same tires on 3rd party wheels you'll probably see similar range.

Some people will tell you it's the weight of the rims. If you want to spend gobs of money on lightweight wheels and save 5 lbs a wheel and gain 2 miles of range, go for it.

You might want to check out the wide range of tires you can get for the X with 22". I think Tirerack sells just one set and they are very expensive.

The rim itself has very little to do with it. It's the size/profile of the tires and tire compound you choose.

If you run the same tires on 3rd party wheels you'll probably see similar range.

Some people will tell you it's the weight of the rims. If you want to spend gobs of money on lightweight wheels and save 5 lbs a wheel and gain 2 miles of range, go for it.

You might want to check out the wide range of tires you can get for the X with 22". I think Tirerack sells just one set and they are very expensive.
https://m.tirerack.com/tires/TireSe...arRatio=35&rearDiameter=22&rearSortCode=61426

Do these not work?

I think you clicked Alternate tire sizes. For OEM tires Size I listed 4. But 2 were out of Stock. So two choices and one was very low stock.

Your ZIP might vary and what they have varies all the time. It's the narrowest list I've ever seen for any car.

When I looked before buying the car last fall they had one, which I think was the OEM Pirelli.

Yeah it’s definitely not that big of a deal for me. It’s more of an aesthetic change than a functional one. Just wondering there’s a big impact. Sounds like it’s not so much.

Yes, the impact of the Tesla 22 inch tire packages is quite significant. At least a 20% reduction of range. Although it is the tires, not the wheels that causes the hit to range

Is anyone aware of some testing done with OEM vs. after market tires with 22s? There are so many opinions on impact of those wheels, down to people arguing over mathematical equations. I’d love to see some real world testing for a change.