Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

3rd Reveal

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I didn't mean to imply the "noise" being randomness of topics and tangents, it's just the attitude some members convey and passive-aggressive pettiness. The world is full of enough of that junk and I come to TMC to escape that, so I have no time whatsoever for that here. Those members to remain unnamed may offer useful posts occasionally, but I chose to ignore them altogether as the remaining time they offer nothing useful.
Here ye here ye, we are those that remain unnamed... Who in the shadows of the past invested our hard earned money in the hobby of a millionaire playboy (who shall also be unnamed but who's name rhymes with melon tusk)... Lo and behold we did invest in this yet unproven company in years past whilst those who ridicule us today did not even know of such happenings, and now, my brave brethren, that all our investments have flourished and our profits enable us to partake in the play of the now Billionaire gods... To drive and chariot their creations, now we unnamed and unsung heroes are ridiculed on the very same hallowed grounds which forged our ideas and belief. Take heart, my good fellow unnamed (@Krugerrand @ohmman @bonnie ) and draw nigh, for my attackers lay not to rest their arms. Surround me with your shields of wisdom from days past lest I faint under the weight of their ridicule and onslaught.

We, the unnamed,
Grave men, near death, who see with blinding sight
Blind eyes could blaze like meteors and be gay,
Rage, rage against the dying of the light.

Do not go gentle into that goodnight.

I didn't mean to imply the "noise" being randomness of topics and tangents, it's just the attitude some members convey and passive-aggressive pettiness. The world is full of enough of that junk and I come to TMC to escape that, so I have no time whatsoever for that here. Those members to remain unnamed may offer useful posts occasionally, but I chose to ignore them altogether as the remaining time they offer nothing useful.
Assuming I'm not being [IGNORED] by you, I agree! It is weird to see the arguments with those who are but 'ghosts' to me. Every once in a while I click the 'Show Ignored Content' link out of curiosity... But each time what is revealed has been a bunch of [HOO-HAH] that I don't need to see at all, and I'm glad it's gone from view.

Reactions: DrivingTheFuture
I'm ok as it is, but don't care for forms that get in the way of function. I would prefer a nose with the lowest drag coefficient. All those "character" creases likely act to disrupt a smoother airflow. Plus the lower "lip" looks like a real parking lot curb hazard.
Robin
I believe the character creases are probably all functional.
080904-F-1234S-001.JPG

1b83b5b466d1b1debe2cdd4fd153c748.jpg

080904-F-1234S-002.JPG

19e05yu1o82e3jpg.jpg

screen%20shot%202016-03-31%20at%2011.58.22%20pm.png

Tesla-Model-3-4555.jpg

Silver-Tesla-Model-3-Fremont-Factory-2.jpg

Reactions: EXOTIC1
Here ye here ye, we are those that remain unnamed... Who in the shadows of the past invested our hard earned money in the hobby of a millionaire playboy (who shall also be unnamed but who's name rhymes with melon tusk)... Lo and behold we did invest in this yet unproven company in years past whilst those who ridicule us today did not even know of such happenings, and now, my brave brethren, that all our investments have flourished and our profits enable us to partake in the play of the now Billionaire gods... To drive and chariot their creations, now we unnamed and unsung heroes are ridiculed on the very same hallowed grounds which forged our ideas and belief. Take heart, my good fellow unnamed (@Krugerrand @ohmman @bonnie ) and draw nigh, for my attackers lay not to rest their arms. Surround me with your shields of wisdom from days past lest I faint under the weight of their ridicule and onslaught.

We, the unnamed,
Grave men, near death, who see with blinding sight
Blind eyes could blaze like meteors and be gay,
Rage, rage against the dying of the light.

Do not go gentle into that goodnight.
It sounded even better when, in my mind, I used the voices of the Knights Who Say Ni.

• Funny
Reactions: DrivingTheFuture
Assuming I'm not being [IGNORED] by you, I agree! It is weird to see the arguments with those who are but 'ghosts' to me. Every once in a while I click the 'Show Ignored Content' link out of curiosity... But each time what is revealed has been a bunch of [HOO-HAH] that I don't need to see at all, and I'm glad it's gone from view.
No, you're good. I enjoy your posts. A bit verbose at times, but appreciate the supporting info to argue your points. Others just vomit out junk with nothing to back it up.

Anyway, enough of this, lets get back to discussion at hand.

Reactions: Red Sage
Hopefully they will have changed the front of it to look like the front of a Model S instead of the ugly Porche 911 look!
Aesthetics are subjective and idiosyncratic. In my opinion, the 911 is one of the most beautiful cars ever produced, regardless of the year (disregarding the ugly bumpers in the mid-70's to late 80's cars).
The front-end reminds me more of the Studebaker Avanti, which, in my mind, is one of the most beautiful body designs in a production car
I agree about the Avanti, but to me the overall "pitch" of the 3 front end is basically the reverse of the Avanti.
I'm ok as it is, but don't care for forms that get in the way of function. I would prefer a nose with the lowest drag coefficient. All those "character" creases likely act to disrupt a smoother airflow
I suspect that just the opposite is the case: the 3 front end is likely very carefully sculpted to reduce drag as much as possible and those creases serve a purpose.

While the Model 3 front end is unusual, to say the least, I love it. THINK DIFFERENT, and with a purpose; reducing drag to increase range.

Reactions: plankeye
I doubt the flat plate that leads the way has much to contribute to a low Cd, but was intended more as a design element (and maybe someplace to attach a front license plate). Still, the final number will probably be good enough. Just not as good as it might have been.
Robin

Aesthetics are subjective and idiosyncratic. In my opinion, the 911 is one of the most beautiful cars ever produced, regardless of the year (disregarding the ugly bumpers in the mid-70's to late 80's cars).
I tend to classify most rear engine Porsche automobiles as glaringly ugly from stem-to-stern. The 1980s versions of the 911 were the worst, because aside from the bumpers and those ridiculous 'whale tail' spoilers, they all looked as if they were at least 20 years old even when brand new. For the longest time, the only Porsche products I actually liked were the 928, and to a lesser extent the 944/924 & 914. It was a long time before I realized the classic 550 and 718 where Porsche products, because they actually looked GOOD. I think ultimately that my problem is with Porsches that have a back seat. Hence, why I completely despise the Panamera more than any of them, and the bookshelf 2+2 rear seating that is a 911 makes me ill. Funny thing is how the Porsche fans who couldn't stand the 928 for some reason haven't noticed how many of its styling cues have become standard on the whole line over the decades. Strangely, the Boxster and Cayman have somehow managed to become stunningly beautiful to me.

The YF-23 design, like most modern military aircraft, has more to do with reducing its radar signature than airflow.
Yes. But it still FLIES! And, I think it was designed on the same campus as Dragon, Falcon 9, and Model ☰ -- back when NORTHROP-GRUMMAN was there instead. There is also the vehicle designed by the guys at LOCKEED's skunkworks too...
sr-71-1.jpg

NEGx5Uq.jpg

ca629d353d211df6572de7b84a092d7c.jpg

Reactions: Falkirk
True, but stealth aircraft fly so badly (unstable) that a computer does it. The pilot makes control inputs, and the computer produces the desired result.

Point being, Tesla really doesn't have this consideration, of course. The lines on the Model 3 are to look cool as long there isn't a significant drag penalty.

True, but stealth aircraft fly so badly (unstable) that a computer does it. The pilot makes control inputs, and the computer produces the desired result.

Point being, Tesla really doesn't have this consideration, of course. The lines on the Model 3 are to look cool as long there isn't a significant drag penalty.
And considering the hoped for goal of 0.20 Coefficient of Drag, that doesn't seem to be an issue. I remember when the Chevrolet Corvette was announced to have a 0.32 Cd and that was a marvel for its time in a production car. Now that is a benchmark that can be readily achieved with just about any SUV if someone tries hard enough. The Tesla Model ☰ will be largely computerized and drive-by-wire. I'm sure that it will readily produce the desired result of whomever is at the controls as well.

Back in the days it would have been cool to have a car with reduced radar signature, but now the police around here has replaced the radar with laser, so the question is if the Model 3 will have a reduced laser signature ;)
At the end of the day most states require you to use retroreflector license plates (this is where they aim the laser). Even with a super stealth car it's defeated by the plate. :oops:

• Informative
Funny. I thought the front was more Ferrari 360 Modena. And I like it. Although I saw some renders with a new Model S nose. Liked that as well.

We'll see 'in spring' what Tesla had come up with. I'm very interested in their solution to the "boot problem". Will they really have a Tesla solution, or did they just tweak it a little and does it stay "sedan"?

@Red Sage; The Model X had 0.24. So...:)

Can't wait to get some answers concerning pricing, options, battery sizes, etc.

At the end of the day most states require you to use retroreflector license plates (this is where they aim the laser). Even with a super stealth car it's defeated by the plate. :oops:

You didn't hear it from me.......

but there are sprays you can put on the plate that are undetectable to the human eye from 20-30 feet away that scatter and diffuse the laser light.

I mean.....

That's just what I've read in places.

;);)

I tend to classify most rear engine Porsche automobiles as glaringly ugly from stem-to-stern. The 1980s versions of the 911 were the worst, because aside from the bumpers and those ridiculous 'whale tail' spoilers, they all looked as if they were at least 20 years old even when brand new. For the longest time, the only Porsche products I actually liked were the 928, and to a lesser extent the 944/924 & 914. It was a long time before I realized the classic 550 and 718 where Porsche products, because they actually looked GOOD. I think ultimately that my problem is with Porsches that have a back seat. Hence, why I completely despise the Panamera more than any of them, and the bookshelf 2+2 rear seating that is a 911 makes me ill. Funny thing is how the Porsche fans who couldn't stand the 928 for some reason haven't noticed how many of its styling cues have become standard on the whole line over the decades. Strangely, the Boxster and Cayman have somehow managed to become stunningly beautiful to me.
Don't go making me put you on ignore list now with blasphemous statements about the 911! :p When I was a kid my dream car was a 911 Turbo slantnose. When I graduated college I foolishly bought one and still have it. Yes, the styling is/was a bit garish and over the top and hasn't held up well with the ages. Fortunately with the values they now demand, it will fund my Model 3 purchase. I was fortunate to live my dream but ready to move on and let someone else enjoy the car and I can live my next dream with a Tesla!