Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

3rd Row Child Seats Now Factory Only

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
well then I guess that leaves me screwed.

As I said, I'd be quite surprised if that was the case. Cuz it seems like Tesla is trying to do a good job with proactive communications and chance to allow buyers to adjust.

If it is the case, then even when they try to do right, they screwed up. I rarely like 3rd party info on things like this. So, I'd really want to hear it first hand if I were you.

if you are at all in doubt, I can only say I am very impressed with the seats and the whole back compartment as a kid area. we have a 2 and a 4 year old and they fit just fine, though our 2 year old is slightly below spec weight/height. honestly, these seats are a bit of engineering genius the way they take up so little space out of the trunk, fold down flat to nothing and yet seem quite sturdy and comfortable. It might be worth getting them for better resale or if you think you might need them later, they can be taken out and put back in when needed at the service center.

if you think you might need them later, they can be taken out and put back in when needed at the service center.
Aha that's the big question (which I asked in the other 3rd row seating thread with no answer). Can they be removed if not needed and put back in when they are? Can I do it myself or do I need to go to the service cente? Of so, how much will they charge? And does this all still hold true if there is a new design? I just spoke to Tesla on the phone about this. The guy wasn't sure. Ish.

My daughter is 2. Got another on the way. Won't need to use them for year or so at least. Maybe longer. Sweet spot will be when they are 3 & 5 so they can ride together back there. Until then need to lug a double stroller and don't want to compromise on space in the trunk. So, I'd Like to have them. Not have them in the car for a year or 2, then put them in once I no longer need the double stroller and the second one is old enough to fit.

I do think they are very cool and an excellent example of good engineering. But I need more info to make a decision. Thought I would have more time than 4 days to decide.

As I said, I'd be quite surprised if that was the case. Cuz it seems like Tesla is trying to do a good job with proactive communications and chance to allow buyers to adjust.

If it is the case, then even when they try to do right, they screwed up. I rarely like 3rd party info on things like this. So, I'd really want to hear it first hand if I were you.

As others have mentioned, the information I got was from a single technician from Menlo Park service center and he read the email he received. If you really want to add the rear facing seat, I would speak directly to either the Freemont service center or Menlo Park service center. It won't hurt to ask.

I thought I would share my experience. Maybe it will help someone else.

I have an early sequence number, finalized and signed pre-MVPA in mid January. My order has been delayed because I selected red which has not yet gone into production. I saw the letter about the 3rd row seats from Tesla on the forums first, but I did eventually receive the email directly, albeit 12+ hours later on 2/28. I sent an email to BuildMyModelS@ immediately, and asked if adding the 3rd row now would 1) Change my delivery date in any way 2) Cause an increase in base price. After sending the email, I realized that 3/1 was the next day and that it was possible red could enter production in 24 hours (unlikely, but possible.) So I called. The first person I spoke with, while helpful, wasn't up to speed on the email notice that was sent. I read the letter from Tesla over the phone to this individual. He put me on hold a few times to check with other people, and then asked if he could call me back.

He called me back about 6 hours later, and said that I could add the third row to my car, and that it would not change my delivery schedule or pricing, but I would need to sign a new pre-MVPA. At this point I asked for the 3rd row to be added. Within minutes I received an email stating my pre-MVPA paperwork was being generated. Here is where it got a bit odd. On Friday morning I was on a flight for 5 hours. When I landed, I was expecting an email requesting that I sign the new paperwork. Instead, I received a generic email that said that while I had configured my car, that I had not finished the ordering process and I needed to FINALIZE! From the airport I logged into the website, and sure enough, I was back at the pre-finalize stage. I added the 3rd row option myself, finalized, and once again received an email that my paperwork was being prepared.

I followed up with a phone call, now very nervous that I may have lost my position in line (it's still not clear the order of operations between sequence number and date finalized.) The rep I spoke with confirmed they were preparing my paperwork, and did not seem concerned that my order had been brought back all the way to pre-finalize, or that I had received conflicting emails (first the preparing paperwork, then the you need to finalize, and then preparing paperwork for the 3rd time.)

My guess is that it was easier to send my order back to the pre-finalize stage and have it follow the normal workflow then for them to manually add the 3rd row and generate new paperwork. Again, total guess on my part. I wasn't thrilled that one thing was communicated to me and then a different course of action taken. Had I not been watching everything like a hawk I could have easily found myself with a delayed or screwed up order. It might still happen, I suppose. At the time of this writing (3/3) I still have not received the paperwork, but the email says up to 1 business day. Hopefully it shows up on Monday, or I will be calling again.

Update: I received the revised paperwork and it was counter-signed on 3/4. I spoke with a Tesla rep who confirmed the revised order was complete, but then told me she thought my order might be delayed by a week because of the change. If it's really just a week I'll live, but it is another data point that Tesla is doing a very poor job with communications. All the previous individuals I spoke with said it would not have any effect on delivery time (IE, I'd keep my place in line.)

Last edited:
So I got a call back today regarding my questions about the rear child seats.

I learned:
1. The seats must be ordered up front now as explained, but can be removed and reinstalled at a service center though they recommend you don't
2. Changing my order to include the seats would delays order by about 2 weeks according to the rep.
3. My order is currently looking like it would be done late March to early April. With emphasis on late March according to the rep, if I don't add the seats.

Would have added them if there wasn't a delay. The 2 weeks push out will require me to reapply for financing (after 4/8). And also put me in range to our 2nd daughters due date.

Our first daughter can't use them for 6-9 months based on the height/weight recommendations. And it would be another 3 years before the second one could. And needing to use a double stroller for a while anyways makes space a premium. Finally, I think the kids might bake back there in the desert sun with no vents, even if I get the limo tint.

So, while the seats are undoubtedly cool, and may be useful someday, I think we're going to pass on them.

Also got feedback regarding my request for clarification, and aftermarket purchase & installation is a definite no-can-do, regardless of your VIN #. So to reiterate, no more after-market child seat purchase and installation, ever. Sucks for those that were told otherwise.

(now if you already have the child seats, and you're just asking them to remove it and put it back as pointed out above, that's fine).

That sucks. I'd been told multiple times by multiple people (including my DS at delivery) that it was possible, so it had always been my plan to add them once our son is big enough to use them and save the space beforehand.

Tesla really needs to get their communication worked out. It's really hard to trust a company which lies to you repeatedly (even if it's not intentional).

Tesla really needs to get their communication worked out. It's really hard to trust a company which lies to you repeatedly (even if it's not intentional).

Very true. I would be more negative about Tesla if I wasn't used to lying, untrustworthy car dealers. As it is, it's "untrustworthy car dealer selling unpleasant gasoline car" versus "untrustworthy car dealer selling the BEST CAR EVER", but it would be so much better if Tesla could start developing a reputation for accurate information.

Hate to dig up an old thread, but I found out today the real reason why rear facing factory seats are no longer retrofitted. It has absolutely nothing to do with 'latches' or any other reason people speculated about on these forums. When you order the Model S with rear facing child seats, the bumper assembly is completely different. If you chose rear facing child seats, the bumper is structurally reinforced to withstand being hit at 50+ mph for the safety of the children. In the beginning, all the car's bumpers had this configuration. But now, if you don't order this option, your bumper is not structurally reinforced...thus retrofitting the rear facing child seats without this structurally reinforced bumper does not live up to the high safety standards that Tesla has set for themselves. That is why they cannot do this retrofit if you did not originally order the car with the seats. End of story.

When you are in a rear end collision the occupants in the main part I'd the car are safer if the rear of the car can collapse some. If you have rear seat occupants, you do not have that option. IMO Tesla made both configurations the safest they are able. I think you are off base calling tesla out for a lack of standards!

I don't think yobigd was saying Tesla has a lack of standards. In fact he was saying they did the best thing for safety in both scenarios, leave in the crumple zone if no kids seats, reinforce for no crumple zone if kids seats.

I don't think yobigd was saying Tesla has a lack of standards. In fact he was saying they did the best thing for safety in both scenarios, leave in the crumple zone if no kids seats, reinforce for no crumple zone if kids seats.

Right. This.

I was trying to say that Tesla has very high standards. Not a "lack of standards." @lloyd I don't know why you translated that to me saying they had a lack of standards... In fact it's just the opposite. I just wanted ppl to know why they can't have rear facing child seats installed as an aftermarket purchase. Geez.

Very interesting. So some cars will have the reinforced bumper and others won't. I wonder what the VIN cutoff was when the reinforced bumpers stopped being installed.

I may well have one of the ones with reinforced bumper and no 3rd row seats. Which I suppose is less than ideal in a crash, but whatever.

Hate to dig up an old thread, but I found out today the real reason why rear facing factory seats are no longer retrofitted. It has absolutely nothing to do with 'latches' or any other reason people speculated about on these forums. When you order the Model S with rear facing child seats, the bumper assembly is completely different. If you chose rear facing child seats, the bumper is structurally reinforced to withstand being hit at 50+ mph for the safety of the children. In the beginning, all the car's bumpers had this configuration. But now, if you don't order this option, your bumper is not structurally reinforced...thus retrofitting the rear facing child seats without this structurally reinforced bumper does not live up to the high safety standards that Tesla has set for themselves. That is why they cannot do this retrofit if you did not originally order the car with the seats. End of story.

Yobigd20... I'm curious... What's your source?