Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

3rd row one seat not lifting up - pls help due to kids needs to sit there

G2019

Apr 16, 2019
Austin
Hi, our Model X (6-seat configuration), one of the seats of the 3rd row is stuck in the down and locked position. When we press the release button, we hear the release click (just like when it was working) but it is not going up. Any suggestions please as we need to use it for the kids. Thank you so much.

Last edited:

ngng

Jul 23, 2018
Bay Area
Have you tried pr asking the release and holding the seat down with a little pressure? The latch might be catching on something?

Les236

Jan 20, 2018
Kissimmee, FL, Boston, MA
We had this with our 6 seater a couple years ago. Both 3rd row seats did this, and it was the same as you. We could hear something going on but it did not release. It was under warranty and took it to the SC. They checked it out and said they were going to order parts. I assumed it was something inside that they'd replace. No, they said you couldn't open the seats, and they had to order a whole new third row in the same color that we had. A few weeks went by and they replaced them. I have been in fear of this happening after the warranty expired. Seems like there should be a way to open the seat. Must be a cable that came off so seems odd they didn't design these to be repaired. Are you still under warranty? Let us know how this goes.

I think the loose harness fr100 mentioned was an electrical harness that powers the release. Since you hear it trying to release, it probably isn't that.

Keep us updated in case there is something else or a different solution.

G2019

Apr 16, 2019
Austin
The four-year warranty just ended end of last month (April 2021). So do I have to pay out of pocket for this? This is really frustrating. thank you for all of your help.

Dechidus

Mar 7, 2020
New Jersey
I had this same issue, my kid had a ball on the seat when he closed it, could not come up because it never went fully down. Stick your hand and see if theres anything there.

G2019

Apr 16, 2019
Austin
I would still try to get them to fix it under warranty as a known issue. Depends on the SC, but I have seen them do it. Only a few days out of warranty.
Thanks - I opened up a service ticket through the App. Hope they have Tesla Mobile service that would be able to come to fix it.

G2019

Apr 16, 2019
Austin
I'm just concerned about paying out of pocket since the warranty has expired a few weeks ago. How do I push SC to pickup the cost for this fix?

mxnym

Mar 9, 2018
Bloomington, IN
I had this issue early on in the ownership of my 2017 X (could hear the mechanism, but could not lift the seat). It was fixed under warranty. They did NOT replace my seats, IIRC, they had to tighten a cable. If you can get into the seats, you may be able to pull on the slightly loose cable enough to unlatch the seat. Before trying that, be lifting on the seatback as you press the button (vs pressing down on it). I have to do this pretty consistently now, and the service center acted like it was normal while I was still under warranty. I'm guessing the seatbacks have compressed over time and don't lift themselves past the latchpoint in the brief moment that the electronic system has the latch pulled back anymore.

Reactions: VikH

About Us

Formed in 2006, Tesla Motors Club (TMC) was the first independent online Tesla community. Today it remains the largest and most dynamic community of Tesla enthusiasts. Learn more.

Do you value your experience at TMC? Consider becoming a Supporting Member of Tesla Motors Club. As a thank you for your contribution, you'll get nearly no ads in the Community and Groups sections. Additional perks are available depending on the level of contribution. Please visit the Account Upgrades page for more details.

SUPPORT TMC