Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

3rd row one seat not lifting up - pls help due to kids needs to sit there

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi, our Model X (6-seat configuration), one of the seats of the 3rd row is stuck in the down and locked position. When we press the release button, we hear the release click (just like when it was working) but it is not going up. Any suggestions please as we need to use it for the kids. Thank you so much.

Last edited:
We had this with our 6 seater a couple years ago. Both 3rd row seats did this, and it was the same as you. We could hear something going on but it did not release. It was under warranty and took it to the SC. They checked it out and said they were going to order parts. I assumed it was something inside that they'd replace. No, they said you couldn't open the seats, and they had to order a whole new third row in the same color that we had. A few weeks went by and they replaced them. I have been in fear of this happening after the warranty expired. Seems like there should be a way to open the seat. Must be a cable that came off so seems odd they didn't design these to be repaired. Are you still under warranty? Let us know how this goes.

I think the loose harness fr100 mentioned was an electrical harness that powers the release. Since you hear it trying to release, it probably isn't that.

Keep us updated in case there is something else or a different solution.

I had this issue early on in the ownership of my 2017 X (could hear the mechanism, but could not lift the seat). It was fixed under warranty. They did NOT replace my seats, IIRC, they had to tighten a cable. If you can get into the seats, you may be able to pull on the slightly loose cable enough to unlatch the seat. Before trying that, be lifting on the seatback as you press the button (vs pressing down on it). I have to do this pretty consistently now, and the service center acted like it was normal while I was still under warranty. I'm guessing the seatbacks have compressed over time and don't lift themselves past the latchpoint in the brief moment that the electronic system has the latch pulled back anymore.

Reactions: VikH
I have a similar issue, seat stuck in down position, however when I press the button I hear nothing. I checked all the connections above, took it to Tesla, they advised the occupancy sensor is faulty (makes sense the button wont trigger if it thinks someone is in it) However this is a $6K repair (who rear row seats replacement) for a $0.06 part.
Has anyone found a way to replace or bypass this sensor? or do you know where the wiring runs for it?

I have a similar issue, seat stuck in down position, however when I press the button I hear nothing. I checked all the connections above, took it to Tesla, they advised the occupancy sensor is faulty (makes sense the button wont trigger if it thinks someone is in it) However this is a $6K repair (who rear row seats replacement) for a $0.06 part.
Has anyone found a way to replace or bypass this sensor? or do you know where the wiring runs for it?
I have the same issue with 17 X. Any thoughts on how to replace the sensor?