Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

3rd Row Seat - Does it reduce cargo space ?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Besides the obvious hurdle of it's uncertain availability, is there a potential downside of losing cargo space ? Normally the cargo space in cars is level with the folded down seatback so curious what the potential downside is to this configuration in lost space, if any. I've seen a few videos of the Y with a 3rd row. Would be interesting to see the trunk wihtout one. Even Tesla's order site photos show a folded down 3rd row. Anyone see even a photo of a 3rd-rowless trunk ?

• Funny
Reactions: MP3Mike
It might be like the X. In that when folded down it does not effect the cargo “floor space”. But you do lose “under floor space”.

BTW one cool plus on the 5 seater X is the two storage areas are adjacent and it’s large enough to put a spare tire under the floor with room to spare. Which not possible with 6/7 seater.

Also on X 6/7 seater has a larger AC unit and a true separate zone. In the rear. I doubt that’s the case for the Y. But it’s possible. I bought the 7 seater mainly for that extra AC capacity. I never actually use the 3rd row.

Good to know, I guess we won't have to wait long but has anyone seen a photo of a non-3rd row interior trunk ?

It's odd that Tesla left the 3rd row photo on their order page when you can't order one and may never be able to.

Good to know, I guess we won't have to wait long but has anyone seen a photo of a non-3rd row interior trunk ?

It's odd that Tesla left the 3rd row photo on their order page when you can't order one and may never be able to.

Best picture I can find at the moment (conveniently placed jackets could be obscuring second bin, or maybe current bin is double-long). I'm sure we'll have better ones in 2 weeks!

model_y_trunk.png

Best picture I can find at the moment (conveniently placed jackets could be obscuring second bin, or maybe current bin is double-long). I'm sure we'll have better ones in 2 weeks!

View attachment 518341

But the picture doesn't conceal the pull loop to raise up the floor to gain access to the under-storage. (That won't be there on the three row variants, just like on the Model S&X with RFS/3rd row.)

• Helpful
Reactions: willow_hiller
Sounds like it comes down to the shape/size of the hatch space, 3rd row seat ever happening and the $3k. 3rd row could be useful. Heck, I the 3rd row seat price of $3k is probably about the value of our 07 Odyssey. Here's a photo of the hatch. Odd thing is seems like this hatch area would be behind the 3rd row unless stuff underneath is just shuffled around.

85228308_10221814334094183_3493175147550998528_n.jpg

I'll probably pull the trigger and drop my 3rd row. They are useful in a pinch to get a few extra passengers depending on the space compromise. Looks like a decent sized hatch.

• Informative
Reactions: willow_hiller
Sounds like it comes down to the shape/size of the hatch space, 3rd row seat ever happening and the $3k. 3rd row could be useful. Heck, I the 3rd row seat price of $3k is probably about the value of our 07 Odyssey. Here's a photo of the hatch. Odd thing is seems like this hatch area would be behind the 3rd row. I know the 3rd row is pretty far back in the car so

85228308_10221814334094183_3493175147550998528_n.jpg

I am loving the possibility of dual cubby-holes on either side. Most useful feature of my Model 3 trunk at the moment. I had read somewhere that they had found a different placement for the subwoofer to enable this.

Is there no hatch on the 3rd row model ?

It's not a deal breaker for us but we do occasionally need to squeeze in one more kid on a trip (we're 5 already) so it would be handy but I may not have 2021 patience. Just sold our 3 so now I'll be super antsy to replace it.