Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

3rd Row seat in Model Y is really tight

Change your mind about purchasing a 7 seat version Model Y?

• No, way! I’m still committed. I knew it would be this small.

Votes: 31 32.3%
  • Yikes! Okay, I ordered a 7 seater, but I may or will change my order

Votes: 6 6.3%
  • I knew this was coming. Didn’t consider a 7 seater.

Votes: 50 52.1%
  • Don’t care.

Votes: 9 9.4%

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The third row, for me, is something to use “in a pinch.” Like I’m caught off guard when I need to give some extra school friends a ride home from an event that one of my kids is attending, or some such. In those cases, having two squished extra seats is better than not having them.

If I thought I needed the third row consistently and it had to be roomy, I’d get an X.

Cars of similar size to the model Y rarely (if ever) offer a third row. It was a surprise when they announced it, and with a car of that size obviously it's going to be tiny. It's just there as an option if for some reason you can make use of it (for example you have very young kids you want to put back there).

Reactions: Sherlo and house9
I actually think it's smart to include this option. Some people in the market for a 3 row SUV will completely eliminate any options without it. This way the model Y expands its potential market. Even though it's not a good third row, people will still consider it and weigh their options.

Reactions: Sherlo
I actually think it's smart to include this option. Some people in the market for a 3 row SUV will completely eliminate any options without it. This way the model Y expands its potential market. Even though it's not a good third row, people will still consider it and weigh their options.

But any parent will look at this and realize it isn’t an option. Maybe if the second row were captain seats a parent could use the third row for car seats. It looks like the vehicle won’t have enough space to properly get to the third row.

Some people will consider this, but I think the vast majority will not. When we drop off our son at school in the morning, all of the "three kid" families either driver minivans or Chevy Suburban type cars. No one has a crossover with a third row. It kills the ability to do any sort of road trip with the whole family.

Some people will consider this, but I think the vast majority will not. When we drop off our son at school in the morning, all of the "three kid" families either driver minivans or Chevy Suburban type cars. No one has a crossover with a third row. It kills the ability to do any sort of road trip with the whole family.

We bought an Atlas for this reason. We only have two kids. It frequently have friends and other family in the vehicle. But we wouldn’t have given the Y a thought as an alternative.

Take a look at this article from Electrek. Whoa. Almost zero leg room. Maybe the 2nd row seat is all the way back??

Pictures surface of Tesla Model Y third-row seats, and they don't look large - Electrek
Actually if you look closely, the middle seat can slide forward on hinges (pretty much a standard for all 3 row seating cars). So clearly what is being shown in the picture is something that can be increased by sliding the middle seat forward. I don't understand why people are panicking? No manufacturer can sell a seat like that, it won't even pass inspection to get production license.

Given the dimensions of the vehicle, those 3rd row seats would have to be small. But the angle of the photo will make legroom look smaller than it actually is.

While stuffing an adult in there would be cruel and unusual punishment it will probably be just fine for use by small children. Think of the situation where you have small children and you want to take them and 2-3 of their friends on an outing. Until there's an EV minivan, this might be an option.

Given the dimensions of the vehicle, those 3rd row seats would have to be small. But the angle of the photo will make legroom look smaller than it actually is.

While stuffing an adult in there would be cruel and unusual punishment it will probably be just fine for use by small children. Think of the situation where you have small children and you want to take them and 2-3 of their friends on an outing. Until there's an EV minivan, this might be an option.
an adult would have to hold their head in their lap to sit back there
Model-Y-Fremont_3a.jpg

That's unfortunate. We have 3 kids, and we're specifically moving down to the Model Y from the X, because it has one. We only plan to use the 3rd row for traveling...as we'd like to be able to separate the kids when they're in the car for long periods of time. Dropping off at school, or errands around town, they'll all just share the 2nd row.

I get that not everyone minds driving around in vehicles with poor mpg, but the idea of driving around in a suburban or minivan just because you have 3 or fewer kids, doesn't make much sense to me. Road trips have been completely fine with our family of 5 in our MX, and I expect that with a hitch mounted cargo box on the MY, our trips will be just as comfortable...and it'll be easier to park 95% of the time.

Reactions: reardencode
That's unfortunate. We have 3 kids, and we're specifically moving down to the Model Y from the X, because it has one. We only plan to use the 3rd row for traveling...as we'd like to be able to separate the kids when they're in the car for long periods of time. Dropping off at school, or errands around town, they'll all just share the 2nd row.

I get that not everyone minds driving around in vehicles with poor mpg, but the idea of driving around in a suburban or minivan just because you have 3 or fewer kids, doesn't make much sense to me. Road trips have been completely fine with our family of 5 in our MX, and I expect that with a hitch mounted cargo box on the MY, our trips will be just as comfortable...and it'll be easier to park 95% of the time.

Friends of mine have 5 kids(11 and under) Both are physicians. They have a nice luxury suv, and a swagger wagon.
the kids unanimously prefer... the swagger wagon.