TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

3rd row seat - way too hot during summer any ideas?

Discussion in 'Model S: Interior & Exterior' started by vchadha, Jun 13, 2015.

1. vchadha

vchadha Member

So i just received delivery of a 70D with 3rd row seats. It is 30 deg celcius out there and since the 3rd row seats have no ventilation the kids are naturally too hot. Tesla really messed up on this one. Does anyone have a solution that worked for them?

2. WillAustin

WillAustin Member

I tinted everything with Photosync. 35 on the back, side windows, and pano, 75 on the windshield. I also have the sun shade when the kids are back there.

3. Vip

Vip Member

There are threads on this problem but basically agree with WillAustin: Window tinting and sun shade. Some people have used battery operated clip on fans.

4. SGordon

SGordon New Member

I was told to make sure the vent is set to fresh-air intake.

5. astrotoy

astrotoy Member

Did the same here including the sun shade, plus a fan. Not an issue when our granddaughter is visiting us in the SF Bay Area, but definitely necessary when we visit them in LA.

6. Rahul

Rahul Member

30 deg celsius? I ordered the rear facing seats and I live in Scottsdale, AZ. What am I going to do on the 120 Fahrenheit (49 Celsius) degree days?!? :)

7. m2s2

m2s2 Member

Good luck, I live in Florida, have tried fans, but batteries die kids drop them. Basically I'll only goes short distances and pre cool car

8. Max*

Max* Autopilot != Autonomous

I don't use mine in the summer.

9. Evbwcaer

Evbwcaer Member

• Informative x 1
  10. tomp

tomp Member

I posted my approach to it here:
    Revised approach to cooling the 3rd row seats

Bottom line is to tint the window, get the rear sun shade, pre-cool the car when it's really hot, and get some sort of fan system. I'm able to use them year round (we live in NC).

• Informative x 1
  11. SteveO332

SteveO332 Member

37 degrees celsius here, have Photosync 45 on the back, and I can't have my son back there during the day at all. Tried running fresh air intake but it doesn't cool nearly at all.

Resorting to night time and fall/winter only.

Also really need to get a shade. Even with the tint, probably 35 as well, it's still really bright.

12. kort677

kort677 Active Member

this is a well known issue that short of placing fans or ventilation conduits that can reach back there really can't be fixed.

13. malcolm

malcolm Active Member

Hang on.

So does the Bioweapon Defense Mode facelift not include a few more feet of ducting and some fans, requiring you to follow Tesla's original advice about opening the rear passenger windows and/or mess about with third party ventilation products just to get sufficient air to the rear facing seats?

14. m2s2

m2s2 Member

37 C+32x9/5 = 98.6F

Wow that is hot
    Just kidding, but I have similar issues here in south Florida. I really like my 2014 MS, but the 3rd row is not really functional due to the heat. The kids love it and I'll do short trips, but airflow is really an issue. They need vents in the trunk and even the second row air is fairly anemic

15. SteveO332

SteveO332 Member

Tesla advised to open the rear passenger windows? I have a refreshed S, and it doesn't include any special ventilation or anything. The cooling system leaves a lot to be desired in the car everywhere except from the front two seats.

16. llngoc

llngoc Member

This is the main reason why we switched to a Model X.

But try this noggle thingy. I think they also have their own site. You can get a long one and extend your front/back vent all the way to the back.

• Funny x 1
  17. Max*

Max* Autopilot != Autonomous

Even fans don't help enough when the sun is out.

Have you tried putting your kids back there, or are you just repeating things you've read on the forum?

• Like x 1
  18. kort677

kort677 Active Member

I don't have the third row, my info is from those who do.