Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

3rd row ventilation

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Here's my current set up. Seems to actually work as the kids have really reduced their complaining today. Today was in the high to mid 70's.

Two fans: http://www.amazon.com/IO-Crest-Powe...e=UTF8&qid=1408933128&sr=8-5&keywords=usb+fan

View attachment 57416View attachment 57417

Once I'm really satisfied with the location, I'll look for a more aesthetically appealing way of mounting or attaching the fans to that location.

Do not buy these fans! They are flimsy, weak and ship (3wks) from Hong Kong in a plastic bag...got a full refund...worthless!

does anyone know if Tesla has improved the design to create more ventilation in the back? our 85D is coming and I was hoping that simply adding tint to the back would be enough. now that those seats are a pricey add on, you'd think Tesla would include a bit of extra venting. the heat build up in the third row during really hot days and long road trips is down right dangerous. kind of not looking forward to zip tying the battery oporated fans back in place along the roll bar, they did the trick but make the sunroof inoperable and require messing around with.

As far as I know, it's the same. I think the "solutions" are tint and potentially also the window shade. I'm working on an option similar to one posted elsewhere in the forum (an in-line fan with ducting to draw air from 2nd row to 3rd row) and will report back my outcome. Overall, it's unfortunate Tesla hasn't addressed this yet.

does anyone know if Tesla has improved the design to create more ventilation in the back? our 85D is coming and I was hoping that simply adding tint to the back would be enough. now that those seats are a pricey add on, you'd think Tesla would include a bit of extra venting. the heat build up in the third row during really hot days and long road trips is down right dangerous. kind of not looking forward to zip tying the battery oporated fans back in place along the roll bar, they did the trick but make the sunroof inoperable and require messing around with.

Before you wire to the defroster leads, I'd first figure out which fan/method you want to use to cool them. It's pretty easy to temporarily run a 12V extension cord to the back. That's what I've done with my 'air blower' project, as has Zarwin (see here). Others have mounted fans in various positions. I may consider wiring to something more permanent but first want to be sure it works well. I do like the idea of using the defroster leads though, and hope somebody can experiment with it!

Has anyone done this with success yet?? Delivery date coming soon in the heat of summer, don't want my 2 toddlers to have a bad first experience and not want to ride there anymore!

My method was pretty ghetto, usb power banks are pretty much a dime a dozen. I got two of those and 2 usb powered desk fans. If the kids are hot, they turn on the fans themselves. No need to run any extra wiring. After the trip, I just plug the power banks into the usb at the front and they are recharged and ready to go. :)

My method was pretty ghetto, usb power banks are pretty much a dime a dozen. I got two of those and 2 usb powered desk fans. If the kids are hot, they turn on the fans themselves. No need to run any extra wiring. After the trip, I just plug the power banks into the usb at the front and they are recharged and ready to go. :)

I'd say simple, not ghetto. Goes along with one of my favorite sayings ... "If it's stupid but it works, it's not stupid."