Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

3rd seat stuck in filed down position! Any tricks?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Friends,

Yesterday we folded down the 3rd row seats in our Model X (6-seat configuration) and now the left hand 3rd row seat does not go upright. It is stuck in the folded down position. The button on the side that enables fold down or unfold actions has become unresponsive. Pressing it does not seem to engage anything (one should hear a motor engage). The head rest unfolded a bit the first time around we tried to lift the seat but now it seems to be all dead. I showed it to a tech at my SC ( i had stopped there to get an adaptor for the charger) and he tried a couple of things to no avail. They will need to take a look at it during a scheduled service visit. The right hand 3rd row seat is working fine.

I am wondering if someone might have trick up their sleeve to fix this?

PS: The service appointment windows are so far out (3 weeks in my case). This is going to be constant issue given how many Model Xs need a SC visit.

Folks,
An update on the issue above and also a cautionary tale.

So as it turns out, there was a small card board box on the seat when we folded it. It was that the black box in which the Model X key fobs are packaged, We obviously did not see it as we folded the seat from behind and tough to see a black box on a black leather seat inside the dark cabin in the garage.

It would appear that this broke the actuator in the seat. I do not recall feeling any resistance while folding down the seats and did not force the seat down but perhaps when we kept a suitcase on the folded seat that might have damaged it.

For now the SC was able to bring the seat up, it is unusable though as the head rest is still folded down .

Hopefully it is not going to be an expensive repair.

Anyway just add this to the list of the things to watch out for while handling model X.

Not to worry. Tesla did not give me the black box and I have tan seats. :)

Glad you resolved this but it does beg a question on resiliency of the seat mechanism. Next time it will be a child's toy etc.

Not resolved the problem but the root cause. I agree with the fragility of some of these mechanisms. As busy as we all are, I hope we do not need to run through a checklist before handling the car kind to flying a plane :) I guess these are teething plans of incorporating new technology, it has its pros and cons.

Not resolved the problem but the root cause. I agree with the fragility of some of these mechanisms. As busy as we all are, I hope we do not need to run through a checklist before handling the car kind to flying a plane :) I guess these are teething plans of incorporating new technology, it has its pros and cons.
My expectation is that they'll perform your repair gratis. I mean, a cardboard box?

Sorry to hear about it. Mine's back in the service center for falcon wing door issues. Also noticed a nick on one of our UW seats which I pointed out.

My expectation is that they'll perform your repair gratis. I mean, a cardboard box?

Sorry to hear about it. Mine's back in the service center for falcon wing door issues. Also noticed a nick on one of our UW seats which I pointed out.

I hope they will fix it gratis although they did utter the "outside warranty" phrase. :) but not a final conclusion yet.

Sorry to hear about your trip to SC. They wanted to keep our MX at SC to replace the seat and give us a MS loaner. That would have meant about 3 weeks without our car (it takes a couple of weeks to get the seat) but we decided to keep our MX and wait until they have the replacement seat.

Just a quick update on this.

The 3rd row seat recall has made the warranty question a mute point and our seats are part of the recall and will be replaced. Of course the question about issues arising about objects on the folding seats remains but for now we should be ok. SC mentioned that the replacement seats might take anywhere form 2 weeks to 8 weeks to arrive.

• Informative
Reactions: ohmman
Just a quick update on this.

The 3rd row seat recall has made the warranty question a mute point and our seats are part of the recall and will be replaced. Of course the question about issues arising about objects on the folding seats remains but for now we should be ok. SC mentioned that the replacement seats might take anywhere form 2 weeks to 8 weeks to arrive.
Interesting turn of events, wouldn't you say?