Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

4.12 Question

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I thought I noticed more warm air through the upper vents this morning so they may have tweaked the air flow towards the upper vents in certain temperatures to help with defrosting windows which would be a good thing IMHO. These cars were designed assuming everyone lives in California however they are finally starting to understand people from other states/countries also buy these cars and the world does not turn around CA only.

I thought I noticed more warm air through the upper vents this morning so they may have tweaked the air flow towards the upper vents in certain temperatures to help with defrosting windows which would be a good thing IMHO. These cars were designed assuming everyone lives in California however they are finally starting to understand people from other states/countries also buy these cars and the world does not turn around CA only.

Boy oh boy did a have a stressful moment when we were getting just light enough snow to melt on my side window glass and then refreeze because of the wind chill of driving at 35 mph. After about 25 minutes the side windows looked like a solid sheet of ice even though the cabin was a nice 71F or something. By not having any hot air directed just as the side windows (like you could do with a traditional vent) the windows didn't get warm enough to stay defrosted. Not a huge issue, and probably would happen in other cars too if you didn't point hot air at them... but other cars aren't frameless doors. I shuddered so much when my passenger bolted out of the car once we got to the store and just slammed the door shut while I was still thinking to myself on the best method for protecting the glass was...

Does anyone know if the vent position is part of the driver profile? I wouldn't mind adjusting the vents away from myself for a few minutes to melt ice build up IF it wasn't so challenging to do in traffic AND it wasn't such a pain to get it perfectly back to how I like them. I love these vents for the looks and for being able to blow directly at me, but there is no way around it, the controls of these vents is.... a pain. Having some memory features where I could make a "cold weather profile" with them pointing at the glass, "Andrew" profile for when I want them back in their normal position towards me, and a "Summer" profile or something when my passenger always gets cold and wants to adjust the temperature rather then turn the air flow away because they don't like the touch screen controls....

So my cold-weather update is scheduled to install early tomorrow morning, 2 days before spring. Marvelous timing!

Yes it's a little ironic it's coming right before spring, but Tesla learned all winter. They took that data and made some adjustments and then pushed it out. Maybe they could have done additional cold weather testing and delayed shipping the car for three months or something? The take away is, they still only have sold about 100k of these things and the large majority of people made it through the winter without problems (except you HVAC issue people!) and now next winter it'll be even better.

Boy oh boy did a have a stressful moment when we were getting just light enough snow to melt on my side window glass and then refreeze because of the wind chill of driving at 35 mph. After about 25 minutes the side windows looked like a solid sheet of ice even though the cabin was a nice 71F or something. By not having any hot air directed just as the side windows (like you could do with a traditional vent) the windows didn't get warm enough to stay defrosted. Not a huge issue, and probably would happen in other cars too if you didn't point hot air at them... but other cars aren't frameless doors. I shuddered so much when my passenger bolted out of the car once we got to the store and just slammed the door shut while I was still thinking to myself on the best method for protecting the glass was...

Does anyone know if the vent position is part of the driver profile? I wouldn't mind adjusting the vents away from myself for a few minutes to melt ice build up IF it wasn't so challenging to do in traffic AND it wasn't such a pain to get it perfectly back to how I like them. I love these vents for the looks and for being able to blow directly at me, but there is no way around it, the controls of these vents is.... a pain. Having some memory features where I could make a "cold weather profile" with them pointing at the glass, "Andrew" profile for when I want them back in their normal position towards me, and a "Summer" profile or something when my passenger always gets cold and wants to adjust the temperature rather then turn the air flow away because they don't like the touch screen controls....
Not sure, but if they are in driver profile then you'll see a Saved notification beside the profile name when you change the position.