Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

4.2 second M3 LR Update (and other models)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Looks like existing LR are set to recieve a 4.2 speed upgrade as part of the refresh, this is based on existing owners being presented with acceleration upgrade option in app from 4.2 -> 3.7 instead of the former 4.4 -> 3.9

I understand its the same for Performance took, not sure about the SR+?

Has there been any indicator when this upgrade will be 'live' on the existing fleet? The last update doesnt seem to have done anything or at least didnt mention it.

Wondered if anyone had spotted anything on this? Cant see anything concrete on the usual facebook groups.

• Helpful
Reactions: CMc1
Although I can guarantee that the Performance Boost page on the app was showing 4.4s->3.9s yesterday as I was showing a friend.

This is what makes me think it isn't already there, they launched and sold cars for ages with 4.4, why not change it sooner, it stands to reason youd sell more cars and maybe more upgrades by just stating the faster 4.2s speed. I don't get the logic of hiding it...

The apps definitely changed today to reflect the newer speeds, I just wish Tesla would be clearer about these things, its quite frustrating, same with the new heated charge port, loads of us have no idea if we have it or not because they're so obscure about these things.

Attachments

• upgrade.jpg
    upgrade.jpg
    91.6 KB · Views: 76
As in the other thread, Tesla gave all cars a 5% power increase around December 2019, IIRC, but they didn't change any of the specs. At the time, I remember calling my insurance company to tell them about the performance increase (they weren't bothered about it). I'm pretty sure that Tesla could only put official test data in their specs, so may be they just didn't bother to repeat all the official testing after the 5% boost?

With the refresh changing several other things, I'd guess that they've had to do all the official testing again, and it may well be that this testing has shown that the 5% boost from last year improved the 0 to 60 times. I'd be a bit surprised if a 5% boost didn't make a difference, especially as that boost came about from optimising the motor drive software, so it was a 5% torque increase in reality.

Whether a 5% increase in torque equates to 0.2s off the 0 to 60 I don't know, but it seems possible, and would fit with what we know of the way Tesla tend to do things.

Reactions: ACarneiro
In real world driving on dry flat roads and correct use of throttle I’d say the LR model 3 is pretty much a 4 second car when it’s “on it”

But you so rarely use that measure in real world driving, or at least if you do define your driving by that measure hopefully not near other road users ! 30-70 would be a much better industry standard to publish. In all the model 3 range this would really highlight where the magic dust has been sprinkled.

Wait whattt. :eek:

I just checked and mine can be upgraded to 3.7s too.
I was tempted to buy the previous speed boost but thought I'd wait until I've had the car for a while.
What would have happened if I had purchased the previous upgrade? Would my car do the new speed or the previous one?

I bought the 'old' acceleration boost, which took me from 4.3s to 3.7s from a standing start, or 4.1s to 3.5s with the 1ft roll out (so both 0.6s quicker). I'm not sure if the 4.2s figure Tesla now quote for the updated LR model is from standing or with the 1ft roll out - it seems to be the average of the two unless they have shaved 0.1s off with the update.

AccBoost.jpg

• Helpful
Reactions: EVMeister
Having given this a bit more thought, I might have a possible explanation. The 0-60 times Tesla quote are consistent with them adding a 0.1s margin to their figures. I assume this is to avoid complaints/claims from owners that their M3s don't quite match the quoted spec.

The quoted 0-60 figure for the 'old' LR was 4.4s, which is the standing start 0-60 time (4.3s) + 0.1s. (This might also have been the 1ft rollout 0-60 figure before the free 5% boost late last year, but again with 0.1s added.)

The 'new' LR 0-60 figure is 4.2s, which is consistent with them moving to the 1ft rollout time (like they use with the M3P) i.e. 4.1s + 0.1s

I have seen Dragy 0-60 times for the M3P of around 3.0, so again the quoted figure (3.1s) includes the margin.

The margin is even included in the 0.5s 'acceleration boost', which is a 0.6s boost in practice.

The US Draggy clan are already planning to re-test their boosted LRs but I suspect Tesla are just restating what we already have.

Although I have the update, in real world use many other factors influence 0-60 & a 0.1 or 0.2 sec difference seems rather academic. In most cases the boost gives me an extra safety margin when overtaking, often a bigger smile (& sometimes a shrill left ear).

Hi Guys! I got confused with this 0.1 sec (and even if I will never be able to feel this 0.1 sec difference, it does bother me!). The claimed 0-60 figure of my M3P bought in September was 3.2 sec. Now the "updated" M3P version available from December claims the figure of 3.1 sec. Is the updated version really 0.1 sec faster of the "older" versions or it is just a different calculation method of the same acceleration speed?
PS. My last software update 2020.40.8 did not say anything abt speed or acceleration changes