Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

$4,600 for burned out headlights, any alternatives?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I keep seeing people getting Tesla to replace their bulbs for $400 to $600 but I've asked them twice and they keep telling me they don't replace bulbs, they only replace the whole headlight unit.... $2100 all in? 😮
I have a 2017 Model S. How do I get them to do this?
Are your lowbeam bulbs burned out or is it the DRL bulbs which are the lights on the outer edge of the housing?

I just "upgraded" my 2014 P85D HID headlights to LED "bulbs" from Amazon.ca for CAD$ 90.00 per pair. Just search for "I Litton D3S LED". They are truly "PLug and Play". No need to remove / rewire / reprogram anything. Even the HID ballast stays. These LED units give excellent coverage and distinct horizontal cut off to prevent blinding oncoming drivers.

Reactions: richrootes
I keep seeing people getting Tesla to replace their bulbs for $400 to $600 but I've asked them twice and they keep telling me they don't replace bulbs, they only replace the whole headlight unit.... $2100 all in? 😮
I have a 2017 Model S. How do I get them to do this?
Your 2017 might have the LED headlights and there are no replaceable "bulbs". Whole unit needs to be replaced.

Reactions: Tony_YYZ
I have a 2013 Model S. Does anyone know if that model has a replaceable bulb? The service center quoted me $4k.
headlight.jpg

I have a 2013 Model S. Does anyone know if that model has a replaceable bulb? The service center quoted me $4k.
View attachment 985925

$4k for a burnt out low beam bulb?? That sounds like they want to replace the entire assembly at least which is still a massive ripoff. That price for one headlight is just insanely bad.

You will need a new D3S HID bulb and possibly the ballast if it is also bad. They are relatively inexpensive from third party sites. You likely have Philips bulbs in there now. I would recommend changing both the driver and passenger bulbs at the same time.

Here is a how-to guide I just found: 2013 Model S HID Bulb replacement guide

Reactions: Stan930