Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

4,700 miles on my Model 3 and my tires are on the wear bar

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
A19D0A3C-B10C-4D07-B8C5-23284B9EC06B.jpeg
This is the service alert that was performed

I think you are talking about the wheel not the tire, or does the tread pattern and sidewall look ugly to you?

Is it the blue lettering that really bothers you?

Indifferent towards the wheel. Tread, sidewall and blue of tire I find unattractive.

Course if I was burning rubber like the OP, I probably wouldn’t care if the tire was pink and the tread pattern wrote “I’m a loser” as I drove through powered snow/dirt.

• Funny
Reactions: mspohr
Why is an EV particularly bad on tires? The road and the driver are the same....
I have assumed it's due to more aggressive cornering, given EVs' low center of gravity.
And maybe due to the vehicle being heavier than what the tires are spec'd for.
LEAF suffers from both FWD and the cornering potential.
With my RWD 3, I guess I'll see over time whether cornering is an issue (Front wear) or acceleration (Rear wear), neither, or both!
But so far, no issues w tread wear on mine.

Honest q, how would you have to drive or setup the suspension or rotate to alleviate this so as to keep the tire wear warranty?
note: on the same tire - more wear in the center implies over inflation - or perhaps too narrow a rim
over inflation OR narrow rim causes tire to "bow" - hense more wear in the center.
Expect the opposite if under inflation.

Hot air expands - which implies that as you drive your tire heats up. You get the idea. So cold temp vs running temp. Variables that only you can measure. Air pressure also changes how smooth or rough your ride might be. Only you can measure these details.

Anyway, still the best explanation I have heard
custom wheels 275/30/20 and 235/35/20 - TF= Tech Forum

In his video he will explain what the rim widths are - they are NOT the same - AND this is a rear wheel drive car - another variable.
And why he made this choice. Looks were part of it.

Seems that car clubs could provide a fine service to all IF they'd tested various setups and come up with some actual performance data.
for comparisons. I suspect most only care about looks - as the nut behind the wheel one of the greatest variables, right?

I'm gonna have to replace mine after 10k. My rear tires get a lot of abuse between launches at almost every stoplight, canyon runs very often, and doing donuts in parking lots too much and go 125-140mph on dry lake beds about once a month. Slip start is on a lot.
Heres some examples. Skip to 9:30 and you'll see me try to do donuts and forget slip start was off. Oops. I did a bunch after that.