Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

4.8 to 4.2 acceleration upgrade

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

I-drive-my

2022 Model Y LR
Aug 24, 2021
Seattle
Hey Teslafam,

Just saw the 2k$ upgrade option for my Model Y from 4.8 to 4.2 (0-60MPH)
Is it permanent offer or should I decide to upgrade now?
And also, for those who did upgrade, have you seen a major performance improvement?
I'm a long-time honda cr-v owner so current 4.8sec make my hair move but always curios to take it to the next level!

The acceleration boost (AB) upgrade for the Long Range Tesla Model Y has been available since 2020. If you purchase the upgrade your CC linked to your Tesla account will be charged $2k (plus applicable sales tax.) You then have 48 hours from purchase to decide whether to keep or return the upgrade. If you return the upgrade your CC will be credited for the $2k purchase. If you purchase the AB upgrade a second time there is no option to return it. The AB does transfer with the Tesla vehicle if the vehicle is sold to a 3rd party. If you trade in or sell the vehicle to Tesla they can remove the AB before selling the vehicle as used. If you purchase another Tesla vehicle the AB you purchased for your previous Tesla vehicle cannot be transferred to the new Tesla vehicle, you would have to purchase the AB for the new Tesla vehicle. Currently the AB upgrade is only available for the Long Range Model 3, Model Y. There is no AB upgrade for the Performance Model 3, Model Y.

IMHO the best time to purchase and test the AB would be in spring or summer, not in winter. Cold weather and bad road conditions are not ideal for testing out the AB. Given the winter driving season purchasing better all season or winter tires makes more sense right now.

Last edited:
Purchased it just to try it out. Cancellation within 48 hours was through the app - no questions asked. However, I purchased it again a week later (no refund allowed a second time) - you’ll see the difference and it’ll be hard to go back to 4.8, once you’ve experienced 4.2 with AB. Purchase it on a warm day so you can try it out to fullest.

Is AB just for increasing launch speed by 0.6 seconds? If I’m already doing 50-70 MPH and want to pass a vehicle, does a MYLR accelerate faster with AB than without? Acceleration when passing, entering freeway on-ramps, etc. is more useful to me than a 0-60 launch from a dead stop. $2K for a feature that won’t do much when already traveling at speed would be a deal breaker for me. What’s your experience in this situation?

It raises the hp/tq, thus increasing 0-60 and 1/4 but that also implies increasing roll-on performance, aka 50-70.

That said, it's actually a great boost. To get the same performance in an ICE car would mean a lot of work, dealing with a mechanic/tuner, spending a lot more than $2K and getting debatable returns that you'd then need even more money to quantify on a dyno. And then on top of all that crap you'd run afoul of emissions. If you are in Cali, you'd have to get a tune which would really screw you with CARB. So yea, a $2K Acceleration Boost is a pretty darn good deal all things considered.

Is AB just for increasing launch speed by 0.6 seconds? If I’m already doing 50-70 MPH and want to pass a vehicle, does a MYLR accelerate faster with AB than without? Acceleration when passing, entering freeway on-ramps, etc. is more useful to me than a 0-60 launch from a dead stop. $2K for a feature that won’t do much when already traveling at speed would be a deal breaker for me. What’s your experience in this situation?
Definitely faster entering freeway ramps. Definitely faster 0-60 range. You sort of get used to it and rely on what it can do. Without AB, MYLR is not slow by any stretch of imagination though. I love the fact that Tesla allows a refund first time within 48 hours - try it out. A nice Christmas 🎁 ?

If/when Tesla offers the acceleration boost for the MYP - I’m in. Take my money now.

$2000 for more power/torque is an amazing deal BTW… no other changes in drivability or exhaust noise (ICE cars) or range/MPG… no other car can do this.

It’s amazing.

Reactions: SWIPE
It’s actually more for the 30mph+ boost. The take off feels the same at take off. When U race a P it still takes off faster and you gain on it.

AB in my view is totally worth it.
MY was pretty fast to begin with and I enjoyed it for 8 month.
Finally, after seeing FSD prices going up by $2k I started thinking they may do the same for AB.
So pulled the plug and I can't recognize MY. looks like small improvement of 0.5-0.6sec but it feels like MY gained some serious muscle!
Definitely recommend.
Was easy to convince my wife since MY gained $10k in price since I got it.

Reactions: boulder.dude
As others said, pretty crazy deal.
I had a Mustang Cobra back in the day, 4.5sec with a supercharged V-8. Some where spending $10K -$20K more to get to 4.2 and lower. Crazy as some ended up deeper in the hole when they ended up breaking drive-shafts.
Had I known that was an option, may have preferred the LR instead of MYP.

That speed is great for highway passing dangerous trucks dropping rocks or debris.

Reactions: zpaul
Hey Teslafam,

Just saw the 2k$ upgrade option for my Model Y from 4.8 to 4.2 (0-60MPH)
Is it permanent offer or should I decide to upgrade now?
And also, for those who did upgrade, have you seen a major performance improvement?
I'm a long-time honda cr-v owner so current 4.8sec make my hair move but always curios to take it to the next level!
If you floor the accelerator too often then it makes sense. Otherwise you are not going to use it.

Did the 48 hour trial, Annoyed because the clock started at the time of purchase, and even though I've got 24/7 WIFi, the software didn't load until about 30 hrs in, IIRC. Only had 18 hours to try it, not enough time to destroy the rear tires. Tesla refused to extend the time.

Sigh: speed is addictive. Two weeks later, I purchased the AB upgrade. No regrets.

To answer the question, "Does AB alter efficiency numbers?" NO! Unless you USE the HP/Torque all the time. Normal driving? No change.

Purchased it just to try it out. Cancellation within 48 hours was through the app - no questions asked. However, I purchased it again a week later (no refund allowed a second time) - you’ll see the difference and it’ll be hard to go back to 4.8, once you’ve experienced 4.2 with AB. Purchase it on a warm day so you can try it out to fullest.
Thank you for sharing. I am trying it not.

Does Tesla ever offer discounts on the Acceleration Boost either seasonally or randomly? $2K though is a nice price point.
I doubt that will happen in the near future, in fact, I am seeing price increases lately with Full Auto-Pilot to $12k from $10k and I saw in increase in my solar paneling. If interested, I recommend that you try it for a day and cancel to see if it is worth the $2000. Grab it if you feel that it is worth it. I purchased it yesterday and felt as though it was a must have. Think of it as a one-time fee for 12-13% boost as a gas car with cold air intake and exhaust, but no installation fee or inconvenience.