Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

4% battery drain in 10 hours whilst parked

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
This sound plausible. If it's withholding power between schedules rather than just waiting for the car to request it, then it's acting like a plug socket switched off.

Yes possibly but the schedule is set in the car and not on the charger itself as Pod-Point currently has no capability to do this itself. I might try disabling the schedule tomorrow to see if that makes a difference. I guess it might be trying to keep it topped up all day though.

From experience so far the car does report different SOC dependent upon ambient conditions and whatever it feels like doing within a low % tolerance.

Sometimes you find that the markers on the “charge limit” setting don’t equate to the number being displayed so you could use the app to set it to the 80% line but it shows 78%. All seems normal and resolves itself during the course of usage.

Reactions: Adopado
An update on my Battery drain issue:

Over last weekend including the Friday the car was parked at home for ~60 hours and only lost 1 to 2% after being charged back up to 80%, which is normal behaviour I believe. Also when I charged the car up from 48% it showed when I arrived home, although it gained 2% to 50% SOC in 3 hours after I got home, to 80%, my Zappi showed that 18 KWh had been put into the battery. 18KWh is approximately 25% of the useable battery capacity, 48% or 50% plus 25% does not equal 80% and in reality there would be efficiency losses, making the discrepancy even greater. These facts suggest to me that the apparent loss of battery SOC is probably a BMS calibration issue.

Last week I only charged the car up to 70% overnight, so that when it was parked at work the SOC was ~55% instead of the normal 65%. This resulted in between 0% and 2% loss of SOC at work on each of Tuesday, Wednesday and Thursday. So I'm wondering if the constant repetitive charging and discharging to the same SOCs is affecting the BMS calibration, or may be it is just that last week the ambient daytime temperature was higher than the week before?

Might be worth letting it run down to 10-20% having given it a bit of a spanking (when safe/appropriate to do so), then charge it to 90+ timed for when you leave for work one day.

See if it makes a difference or calibrates differently when you take it out of its envelope.