Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

4 Bent Rims - 20" - Anyone else?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hello All,
I had a shake in the car and brought it in for service. Just got a call saying it's 4 bent rims, all of them are bent and that will be $3,090.

Obviously my jaw dropped. The car was picked up end of September, has sat for about 2 weeks, and been driven a bit over 6k miles. Not one flat or damage to rims. I am blown away by this and have to ask if anyone else with the 20" have bent rims?

As background, I am an extremely cautious driver to avoid pot holes. And I realize 20" is more prone to damage, but not this much this quick. My Audi with the sport rims has 1 bent rim in over 100k miles. And as reference, I am accustomed to large rims with low profiles tires...

Thanks all!

Same here. Noticed a wiggle, went to the tire shop, 3 out of 4 wheels are bent.. The technician has a Model 3 Performance, and for his vehicle he went to 19" wheels to get a little bit more rubber between the wheel and the road. Here's a pic of his setup, looks great. I'm not sure what to do as getting a whole new set of wheels and tires after 20K miles would be painful. Any advice?
IMG_2075.JPG
IMG_2077.jpg
that helped me at the shop also

I just wanted to update here. Tesla has had 0 follow-up or response, as to be expected. Wrote a letter to corporate, promised a call back. Never got it after several follow-ups. Have been in service multiple times, promised manager call, never got one. At this point am putting summer rubber on my winter rims and calling it a day. Will sell the 20s, letting buyer know of their condition.

If people wouldn't mind, can you vote on the poll? Trying to get some data. Thanks!

P3D 20" Bent Rims (Please reply if Bent or Not)
Bent

Same here. Noticed a wiggle, went to the tire shop, 3 out of 4 wheels are bent.. The technician has a Model 3 Performance, and for his vehicle he went to 19" wheels to get a little bit more rubber between the wheel and the road. Here's a pic of his setup, looks great. I'm not sure what to do as getting a whole new set of wheels and tires after 20K miles would be painful. Any advice?View attachment 498071 View attachment 498072 that helped me at the shop also

Just buy new 19" rims.... I bought 19s for the winters and just run them year round. 43k total miles now and no issues, but the 20s all bent after just a few thousand...Was going to buy Tsportline rims, but they were backordered and I decided to buy cheap Tire Rack rims ($250/each) and really have liked them! Put wider summer rubber on them.

Screenshot_20200108-211129_Chrome.jpg

I just spent some time on a chat with a rep at Tesla. It was stated:

• Can the 19” rims be put on the Performance model with the larger brakes? Sadly no
• Does Tesla source any forged wheels? That that I am aware of, only casts.
• Coming up with $3500+ for new 19” forged wheels and new tires on a 1-year old car is very painful (and currently not possible for me). Is there any solutions or assistance from Tesla that can be provided? Unfortunately Tesla does not assist with the purchase or financing of new wheels

It was also claimed that they (Tesla) had not heard of this issue before. I forwarded the link to this post to show that it is a known issue.

• Love
Reactions: Rachmaninov
I just spent some time on a chat with a rep at Tesla. It was stated:

• Can the 19” rims be put on the Performance model with the larger brakes? Sadly no
• Does Tesla source any forged wheels? That that I am aware of, only casts.
• Coming up with $3500+ for new 19” forged wheels and new tires on a 1-year old car is very painful (and currently not possible for me). Is there any solutions or assistance from Tesla that can be provided? Unfortunately Tesla does not assist with the purchase or financing of new wheels

It was also claimed that they (Tesla) had not heard of this issue before. I forwarded the link to this post to show that it is a known issue.

Tesla knows - ask any service advisor, they see this daily. There are wheel repair shops that can attempt to fix them.