Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

4-CH dashcam setup + coverage of footage around the car

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Nice setup, considered a similar install on my daughters Model 3, just ended up deciding it was too costly for additional coverage.

I would add some videos showing how the install looks inside the car as well (if you are looking to use this to gain customers).

Reactions: aikisteve
Nice setup, considered a similar install on my daughters Model 3, just ended up deciding it was too costly for additional coverage.

I would add some videos showing how the install looks inside the car as well (if you are looking to use this to gain customers).

What do you mean with "how the install looks inside the car"? How the install is actually done and where the wires run?

Do the 4 cameras stay on and record when the vehicle is parked? How long does that last?
Thanks,
Yes they film 24/7, but only record to disk when movement or impact is detected. Since the devices take max 4W per set, this can last for up to a year, if that would be the only power drain. ;) For comparison, the AP2 computer alone uses 250W. So you don't even notice it in your consumption.

Yesterday, I installed another 4-channel dashcam in a #Tesla Model S, so I thought you might be interested in the way it is set up. And I've also included footage of the coverage around the car.

I have the same setup as you have done for 1 year and running 24/7 wired with fuses. The only change you should consider is a wedge under the side camera mount. I used the Mighty Wedge and trimmed it down then painted it black, with a permanent marker. You will need to tape the camera and wedge in place with blue tape. Then turn on your phone settings to show the two cameras to figure out the overlap at each of the corners, it is much easier with a second person. Once you get it correct, as you drive down the road and cars go to pass you, their will be no loss of video of the car as it passes. The same goes when parked. Make sure to use the new setting of Time Lapse when parked and adjust the G force settings higher so that the camera does not think you were in an accident every time you punch it and lock the recording. You can attach directly onto the window tint if you use a 3m a product.
sidemount3 bottom looking up.jpg

Attachments

• Mighty Wedge.jpg
    Mighty Wedge.jpg
    429.4 KB · Views: 104
  • Side mount 1.jpg
    Side mount 1.jpg
    302.8 KB · Views: 67
  • sidemount 3.jpg
    sidemount 3.jpg
    287.7 KB · Views: 69
  • sidemount2.jpg
    sidemount2.jpg
    232.9 KB · Views: 70
Very cool! FWIW, Europeans are probably familiar with Benelux (and probably the vast majority of Benelux's member countries) but I'd wager a majority of Americans aren't.

I hadn't ever heard of it until my current job. My company (an American one) had been expanding into more and more countries over time and we had a French guy on my team, which are the only reasons why I'd heard the term.

Last edited:
Reactions: aikisteve
I watched the video but don't have sound on so not sure if you referenced where each main camera is getting power. I know the front camera can pull constant power from around the microphone grill. Where are you tapping into constant power for the back? Would love specifics for when I decide to get a second camera set up.

This is documented in a couple of other threads already here. I know I have explained it a couple of times, but I don't have tnose old links. The first time we figured it out, it was installing the Lighted Rear applique. Artsci figured it out and I copied him. I added a fuse box/block in the right inside trunk area hear on "this side" of the fuzzy where the light gate controller is under/behind the fuzzy. If you want to read up on the power source to to https://tesla-lights.net/installation/ and read about installing the rear applique and use the same power source. I used it and ran from my fuse box up through the liftgate boot and across to the center of the back window. (With the fuse box, I have a fuse to the rear camera and fused sources for other stuff in the back.

Good job. IMO this layout for the side cameras located on the back make this like a surveillance camera system.

I wish I could put the two side cameras more toward the front. Ideal would be inside the front bumper or front fender,
or to put them inside the side mirrors, and then been able to display the camera on your dash board.

This would be very usefull then when you are in a T intersection, especially to make a left turn on a two ways intersection.
Idem when you exit a garage in the street with cars parked on both side of the garage exit blocking the view of the street.

I watched the video but don't have sound on so not sure if you referenced where each main camera is getting power. I know the front camera can pull constant power from around the microphone grill. Where are you tapping into constant power for the back? Would love specifics for when I decide to get a second camera set up.

Power is drawn from the OBD port. For some reason, European cars do not have that connector behind the microphone grill. I had it in my early P85D, but it did only deliver 3V and not 12V.
Also, OBD is fused separately, so there is not interference with any other system on the car when you just draw power there.