Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

4 CPO Model S Sales below 30 K

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
This is from EV-CPO website, looking at archived cars.

I think that Tesla does drive the pricing on the used car market as well, and it cracks me up that some of the most informed people about tesla and pricing tend to conglomerate here, and ask more for their car from a better informed audience. There are a few notable execptions, such as the cool deal that /u/Models1079 (Jim) sold on here. (thread:2012 Model S, 85kWh battery, 134K miles, 234 miles max charge, blue.)

tesla prices.jpg

• Informative
Reactions: PhilDavid
you do know that the few cars you posted are basically finding a needle in a haystack. aside from that, majority of those USED car at low price point from tesla come with decent amount of cosmetic damage so i see no problem with private sellers asking for a higher price for a car in better condition.

if someone is seriously interested in a car and want to negotiate on price, take it to DM's, otherwise there is no point bashing someone for their list price which ive seen happen quite often lately. there is no need for these posts

Reactions: yngwiescruggs
I would just like to clarify that those 4 used/CPO cars below $30k are out of a total of 11,149 cars listed or sold.

They do happen, but they are rare and hard to catch, as they are usually sold/reserved within minutes of being listed.

If you're looking for a good deal under $40k, there have only been 252 of those.

I think the price histogram of all Model S used cars listed/sold tells the story better:

upload_2018-11-14_12-27-23.png

I don't think that making a statement that prices on this forum are on the high side is contentious, nor am I doubting that the condition of the cars on this form are probably in the garage queen realm, and command a higher price and attract a higher quality buyer.

What would be cool is to see the histogram animated. It is moving to the left. Yes, there are outliers, and yes, prices will continue to drop for used vehicles. That is all I am saying. The fact that there are 4 or so cars < 30K is noteworthy, and the number of cars that sell on that end of the bell curve will continue to increase.

I don't think that making a statement that prices on this forum are on the high side is contentious, nor am I doubting that the condition of the cars on this form are probably in the garage queen realm, and command a higher price and attract a higher quality buyer.

What would be cool is to see the histogram animated. It is moving to the left. Yes, there are outliers, and yes, prices will continue to drop for used vehicles. That is all I am saying. The fact that there are 4 or so cars < 30K is noteworthy, and the number of cars that sell on that end of the bell curve will continue to increase.

The other thing to note is that it is just very recently that Tesla has started pricing CPO cars where they are now. Even at the beginning of 2018 they were listing some P85Ds for close to $100K!. Now you can find them for the mid to late 50s with some dipping into the late 40s. For quite a while Tesla controlled the used market by listing very few used cars and that is changing.

For anyone who has been patiently waiting to buy a Tesla at a reasonable price, next year is going to be a GREAT year. In several months, the used Tesla inventory at any time should surpass 2,000 and wait until Model 3s hit the used market in numbers.

Having said all this, it cracks me up to see some of the private party prices. Some cars are reasonably priced and others will never sell for anywhere near the asking price. At the end of the day the market will set the price as if a car has not sold in 4-8 weeks, it is because it is priced too high.

Reactions: MC408