TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

4 days lead time

Discussion in 'Model 3' started by mkspeedr, Aug 3, 2018.

1. mkspeedr

mkspeedr Member

I ordered a silver RWD model 3 Tuesday night. Today they called to tell me my car would be ready Saturday.

I am worried it is someone's reject. 2-4 months turned into 4 days.

Am I paranoid?

2. TexasTeslaRacing

I wouldn't. They have a lot of cars ready to be sold.

3. beso323

beso323 New Member

Where are you located? FWIW, i got a call 4 days after reserving on 6/28 saying I could get it in 2 days and then no news about when I can pick up.

I would just look over the car and not worry too much about it being rejected. Same deal as you would if you waited.

4. P85_DA

P85_DA Supporting Member

No these are just the stockpiled cars most likely ...congrats !

5. Gavyne

Gavyne Member

It just means you've ordered the right color/trim/wheels combination. Tesla builds these cars in batches, and if you happen to have ordered the exact same one that they've just batch produced and ready for owners, then you get lucky.

• Informative x 1
  6. suwaneedad

suwaneedad Member

You're very likely getting a June build or a July build that was part of the production ramp and unassigned to a buyer at the time of manufacture. The only thing I would check when taking delivery, other than the usual stuff, would be the battery state of charge. If it is near 100%, or near 0%, it could have been sitting at that state for a month or two which is bad for the longevity of the pack. (That said, it'd be foolish for the delivery center to present you the car below 20% charge or above 80% charge.)

There are thousands of these inventory 'first production' long range Model 3s scattered about the US currently, being absorbed by new buyers as the days and weeks go by.

Congratulations and enjoy your new Model 3!

7. mkspeedr

mkspeedr Member

Serial number in the 43K range sounds right?

8. P85_DA

P85_DA Supporting Member

Sounds right for ~June mfg ..I think Vins now 70k

9. dek526

dek526 Member

like others have mentioned i too got a call 4 days later stating my car was ready to be picked up. got email on a fri (in april) to configure. configured it the following mon and got a call from tesla that my car was ready to be picked up on fri

• Like x 2
  10. mkspeedr

mkspeedr Member

So no one has wanted this car since it was made in June? I was thinking it should be in the 65K range.

11. P85_DA

P85_DA Supporting Member

No just means this was a stockpiled car ..u will be fine you can always reject if don’t like ;)

• Like x 1
  12. mkspeedr

mkspeedr Member

Is there a pinned thread that shows a timeline for the improvements on a model 3?

Like the seats

13. sroh

sroh Member

I would be thrilled to take it if it's the configuration you ordered. I'm waiting on a white interior AWD and the wait is killing me.

14. bomquito

bomquito Member

I picked mine up third week of Jul and Vin was 490xx
    It's definitely a car from previous batch. Current Vin is in the 70k

15. sroh

sroh Member

The only hardware improvement they made was to the rear seats. That happened in the 16xxx - 20,xxx VIN range, back in March/April. You'll get the improved seats.

16. P85_DA

P85_DA Supporting Member

Only ones I can think of are the seats , 300 less welds , and interior trunk trim for trunk shelf (forgot what piece is called )

• Informative x 1
  17. jddssc121

jddssc121 Member

Check the build date inside the driver's door.

18. MXWing

MXWing Active Member

You live 30 minutes from where Model 3s are made.

They could have hand built your Model 3 from when you ordered so I wouldn’t sweat it. :)

Treat each car on its own merits and not worry about VIN range or manufacture date.

• Like x 1
  19. JTwo

JTwo Member

I wouldn’t hold my breath. I know someone who was notified by Tesla the car they ordered would be delivered in 4 days. On delivery day, they were emailed saying the wrong color was sent and maybe they’d get their car in two weeks.

• Helpful x 1
  20. Gavyne

Gavyne Member

Most of the higher VIN's are for AWD/Performance models. A lot of RWD was made in June and got stock piled as they were holding onto them to not cross the 200k mark.

• Informative x 1