Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

4+ days to update eMMC and LTE Upgrade?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I dropped off my '14 S 4 days ago to do the eMMC replacement and LTE upgrade. Service is still trying finish the the work and they say that they are having issues uploading Navigation/Maps to the car. Anyone have similar experience?

I dropped off my '14 S 4 days ago to do the eMMC replacement and LTE upgrade. Service is still trying finish the the work and they say that they are having issues uploading Navigation/Maps to the car. Anyone have similar experience?
The maps are stored in a separate memory card. The failing eMMC may have caused its formatting to be destroyed. Tell them to partition and format the card before uploading data to it. That was done remotely to my car a year before I upgraded to MCU2.

The maps are stored in a separate memory card. The failing eMMC may have caused its formatting to be destroyed. Tell them to partition and format the card before uploading data to it. That was done remotely to my car a year before I upgraded to MCU2.
Thanks for the info! They are reaching out their "internal" teams to see what needs to be done, so hoping they will do the steps above. My eMMC hadn't failed, but since I was doing the LTE upgrade it seemed like a "good" time to request the eMMC replacement. My navigation was working just fine though, so hoping they won't charge me for something they broke :oops:

Quick update. I got my car back after 5 days. However, when they replaced the chip, they introduced lots of bubbles in my screen. I am currently in talks with them to see what can be done. So far they are telling me that I would have to pay to replace the screen! I did have few small bubbles before but now it’s much worst. I talked to the manager but am not hopeful they will actually fix it or offer me a deal to replace the screen. Anyone know how to escalate this beyond the service manager to get it resolved?

Tesla agreed to split the cost of the new screen with me. Kudos to them for resolving this quickly. Though it will cost me about $400 to replace the screen, I think the offer was fair considering the car is over 7 years old now. Still love this car!

Reactions: Sanderpman12
Because I don't see any value in spending additional money to upgrade the MCU in my pre AP car. I already have the LTE upgrade, so not really missing much. Also, I rather not lose the radio (FM/AM) functions.
Sadly, once you get the bubbles on your instrument cluster as well, the cost of both screen replacements will have exceeded the MCU2 upgrade cost (which comes with both new screens that yellow instead of bubbling/leaking that glue/sap/tack).

Sadly, once you get the bubbles on your instrument cluster as well, the cost of both screen replacements will have exceeded the MCU2 upgrade cost (which comes with both new screens that yellow instead of bubbling/leaking that glue/sap/tack).

So far no bubbles on the instrument cluster, but I hear you. At worst, I will lose few hundred over the current replacement price but who knows what the replacement price will be in the future :)