Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

4 kids: Minivan -> X...?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Many people don’t realize, but Model X has a hidden compartment in the trunk that provide lots of depth. Two large suitcases can fit side by side, and you still have space for small cases/duffle bags on top.

If you have the 6-seat version (highly recommended for easier getting on/off and better room for 3rd row), there will be large amount of space between the two 2nd row seat, enough for 1-2 large suitcases.

I suggest you rent an X from Turo if it’s possible, then spend a day with it, putting in all your regular stuffs, car seat, kids, cargo, etc, and see how you manage. Maybe you will find it doesn’t work at all, maybe you will find it’s ok, or even wonderful.

E37DB029-C3DB-4CB6-893C-38B5721CB5BB.jpeg

Last edited by a moderator:
Many people don’t realize, but Model X has a hidden compartment in the trunk that provide lots of depth. Two large suitcases can fit side by side, and you still have space for small cases/duffle bags on top.

If you have the 6-seat version (highly recommended for easier getting on/off and better room for 3rd row), there will be large amount of space between the two 2nd row seat, enough for 1-2 large suitcases.

I suggest you rent an X from Turo if it’s possible, then spend a day with it, putting in all your regular stuffs, car seat, kids, cargo, etc, and see how you manage. Maybe you will find it doesn’t work at all, maybe you will find it’s ok, or even wonderful.

Hey! My wife has a purple set too and it looks just like that on the way to the airport. and then once she has her purse, jacket, carry on, and misc items that leaves just enough room for my kids and my luggage in a carry on and duffel bag up in the frunk. Unless we go for a week, then there’s no room and I just UPS my stuff down

We just taken 4 adults and 2 toddler + luggage on airport run - 4 medium size check in suit cases, 2 in the back, 1 in the trunk, and 1 in the middle of 6 seats. Realised later I could have fitted 3 medium suitcases in the back by stacking them differently.

Only way to know is to visit a show room and try out the space for your self.

But I echo what others say about ultimate utility versus 'fun'. A proper min van/people carrier will carry more stuff/people, but has anyone ever aspired to own/drive a min van??

After all how many cars can key the entire family+in-laws happy.....

42414039144_87acd7eea4_c.jpg

....and still look this awesome when taking stuff to the dump :)

40497322723_920e4ed6c7_c.jpg

There are more practical cars around, there are 100% better value EVs around, if you want sheer drama an i8 is more dramatic, but nothing else on the road today has so much utility/drama/fun bundled into one packed. Even after doing 30K+ miles I still cannot help smile every time I drive our X. There simply isn't a better all round family car on sale today at any price!!

24748340288_1e99cdb04b_c.jpg

4 kids, ages 3-9. I have a Sienna and an X. The kids definitely prefer the minivan. They feel a little car sick in the back of the X. Plus the minivan is much, much roomier. We always do road trips and grocery shopping in the minivan. Or any time we are flying anywhere, we take the minivan since we need to fit luggage (even though we are light packers and always carry on). If I had to pick one right now, I'd definitely stick with the minivan and switch to an X once the kids are older and all out of car seats.

4 kids, ages 3-9. I have a Sienna and an X. The kids definitely prefer the minivan. They feel a little car sick in the back of the X. Plus the minivan is much, much roomier. We always do road trips and grocery shopping in the minivan. Or any time we are flying anywhere, we take the minivan since we need to fit luggage (even though we are light packers and always carry on). If I had to pick one right now, I'd definitely stick with the minivan and switch to an X once the kids are older and all out of car seats.

Now see, you've given me a dilemma here. I'd mark the post Like because I appreciate the perspective, except I don't actually like what you said. So I'd mark it Dislike because I dislike it, except I don't mean to offend you, and I do appreciate the perspective. So I had to go with "Informative," which is kind of bland, but hey. I appreciate the perspective. :)

I'm sure the Minivan is roomier, I just don't want to drive it, or even really ride in it, compared to our Model 3. It's now been two full days where my formerly-minivan-loving wife has opted for the 3 every time she's gone out. So... we may have to sacrifice the space. Though we do have a child who occasionally gets carsick, so my ears perked up at that part. Hmm.

I would like to do an overnight test drive / test packing / family ride test. Hopefully not through Turo, as someone said earlier one of the service centers near me allows overnight test drives. I'll try to take them up on that, once they have the latest configuration available.

Now see, you've given me a dilemma here. I'd mark the post Like because I appreciate the perspective, except I don't actually like what you said. So I'd mark it Dislike because I dislike it, except I don't mean to offend you, and I do appreciate the perspective. So I had to go with "Informative," which is kind of bland, but hey. I appreciate the perspective. :)

I'm sure the Minivan is roomier, I just don't want to drive it, or even really ride in it, compared to our Model 3. It's now been two full days where my formerly-minivan-loving wife has opted for the 3 every time she's gone out. So... we may have to sacrifice the space. Though we do have a child who occasionally gets carsick, so my ears perked up at that part. Hmm.

I would like to do an overnight test drive / test packing / family ride test. Hopefully not through Turo, as someone said earlier one of the service centers near me allows overnight test drives. I'll try to take them up on that, once they have the latest configuration available.

Ah, so you want perspective that will encourage you to get an X... well, we have a model 3 too and drive the minivan only in the aforementioned cases, which is as little as possible, because we both much prefer driving teslas.

Ah, so you want perspective that will encourage you to get an X... well, we have a model 3 too and drive the minivan only in the aforementioned cases, which is as little as possible, because we both much prefer driving teslas.

See, now that's a post I can reward with a "Love"!!! :)

No, it's true, I need to not go crazy on this. If the X isn't going to be viable for road trips for us, then we need to decide what Plan B looks like. But I'm really hoping an extended test drive will show that we can make it work.

For what it's worth we're out of regular car seats, just the 5yo in a booster. So at least we're past that obstacle. He can buckle himself in to the minivan, but usually not in the 3 because the booster settles too close to the receiver. Hopefully the X will give the booster more space. :)

2017, 6-seater. Seat adjustability is severely hampered by car seats.

You have the coolest version with the captain chairs like mine.

However that version wouldn’t work well for @ammulder which was why I asked. The 6 seater electronic chairs and new 7 seat manual fold flats would be different experiences.

All he needs is a simple booster in one rear seat. Middle row passengers can have full legroom extension with no problem.

However that version wouldn’t work well for @ammulder which was why I asked. The 6 seater electronic chairs and new 7 seat manual fold flats would be different experiences.

So, why do you say that? I figured the 6 seat would be best. I don't want to have 3 kids in the middle row (they'll bother each other too much, even inadvertently). So if I'm going to have 2 in the middle and 2 in the back, why not get the 6-seater with some extra space in the center for cargo or legroom or moving through the cabin?

So, why do you say that? I figured the 6 seat would be best. I don't want to have 3 kids in the middle row (they'll bother each other too much, even inadvertently). So if I'm going to have 2 in the middle and 2 in the back, why not get the 6-seater with some extra space in the center for cargo or legroom or moving through the cabin?

You were really concerned about storage so the 7 seat fold-flats give you maximum flexibility on configuring passengers and space.

Definitely a visit to a Tesla center where you can compare both is in order. :)

Reactions: ammulder
They said in June the refresh will be available for take-home at Devon. Just don’t pick my weekend for the overnighter :|.

I think you made up your mind but are wondering if anyone can come up with a solid reason, beyond doubt, to not get the X.

The Sienna is great. I can fit a 4x8 sheet of plywood in there. But times are changing and EVs are now the future. I don’t think you’d regret getting one.

Really hoping they improve the seating flexibility with the upcoming interior refresh. Makes no sense why we have to choose between 6-seats and 7-seats when they could make the 2nd row completely modular/removable (like the Odyssey). The motorized 2nd row is cool in the 6-seater X, but I'd happily give that up if Tesla offered a 40/20/40 folding 2nd row (even if not removable). With Model Y getting the 40/20/40 split 2nd row, seems like there's a good chance the X will get it too.

I'm sure the Minivan is roomier, I just don't want to drive it, or even really ride in it, compared to our Model 3. It's now been two full days where my formerly-minivan-loving wife has opted for the 3 every time she's gone out.

Surely you have answered your own question.

If all you care about is space and seats keep your current minivan, but the fact you have made this post says it all, for me cars are for driving and if it cannot put a smile on my face when I drive it I don't want to own it.

Persoanlly if your lucky enough to be in a position to afford a X I have no idea why you would even second guess your self.

Take a look at the news, 99.99% of human beings on this planet will never have a chance to even sit in a car like the X let alone own one. A minivan though, is basically a van with seats and windows, its like a bus but a bit smaller, even our toddler got bored of riding the bus after just 2 stops!!. Loading kids into the X though is like opening the scissors doors to a Lambo, except its even better than a Lambo because the doors are powered and actually work :).

I really don't understand why anyone would pick a van with windows over a X? Really seems like a no brainer decision to me.

Last edited:
Reactions: ammulder and MXWing

I can't speak to the subject exactly as I don't have a minivan. My wife drives an Acura MDX and I have a 5-seater X. I have two boys, 8 & 10, and all I can say is that they complain so much whenever we have to take the Acura anywhere that I'm a little surprised DHS hasn't shown up at our door yet.

I have 4 kids (11, 7, 5 and 3). The kids love the X around town but we usually take our Navigator L for long trips or to load up at Costco. Storage is much less in the X. If we are driving locally and I ask which vehicle to take, the kids always respond Tesla, Tesla, Tesla! I have the 6 seat with console. The cutout on the console still keeps most of the leg room for the third row. Love, love, love the X but look forward to the day of an electric with more storage.

who doesn't realize this? everyone who owns an X knows about that compartment. and the storage back there when i have 7 ppl in the X still sucks even with that compartment.

I traded my 2015 Odyssey for a 7seater MX. I would not got back to the Honda, great car but the ModelX is something else. Oh, we are 7, though my 21yo is in college and only visits sporadically. I also like to take a bunch of crap on trips so I bought a trailer hitch tray that works great for us.